Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 2nd VL - Factory MF5 Exec

shaunington

Reaction score
Website
www.shaunpainephotography.com
Members Ride
VL SL (RB30E/Jatco 4SPD)
Eucumbene Blue VL SL - Factory MF5 - Lowered, pedders sportsrider allround, chasers

Hey all, I have a 1988 VL SL (see thread in sig) that I was planning on making a manual. But, the car is interstate, and there is going to be a lot of cost involved with shipping it down, finishing it off and getting it roadworthy and registered. Being a poor student, money is very scarce.

So, I've just bought a factory 5-speed exec down in Melbourne. Should be picking it up next week. This does mean that the other VL will be for sale in QLD soon.

Info:

1986 VL Commodore SL
Colour: Pacific Blue (someone care to confirm?) 2B035 (27L). VERY good paint. bugger all marks, not faded at all. Very good finish.
Engine: N/A RB30
-Just had major service, new thermostat, new radiator, new belts. Very smooth runner.
Gearbox: Factory manual, fresh clutch. Extremely good box.
On the Clock: Genuine 158,000
Exhaust: Extractors, Stock system from cat back
Wheels: Silver Stockies with new rubber all round
Options: Powersteering (with sports steering wheel) and Air-Con
Suspension: Lowered on a complete Pedders sports-rider complete package.
Stereo: Will have a transplant from my other VL. Explod headunit, Kevlar 4" up front, Xplod 6x9's in the back and Kicker subs
Security: Alarm, Immobiliser, Keyless Entry
Reg + RWC.

I know the following needs work:
-Replace 'clear indicator' after market lights with some factory jobbys.
-5-10cm of rust under front windscreen. Will be sanded, touched up and paintmatched
-scuff(but no dent) on front wheel arch. reportedly from previous previous owner (if that makes sense). Will need touch up.
-Front right door mould will need replacing, cracked from the same incident that caused the above.
-New bootseal.

That's it! It's A1 Mechanically (previous owner was a mechanic who spent $$$ restoring it, but lost his license so is passing it on.

Interior is 100% spot on. The manual shifter looks new.

Here is some pics!

Chill, not smoke! it was a cold day :p
spp40872.jpg

the thing on the top right corner of the boot is just a reflection, there is no dint there.
spp40912.jpg

spp40793.jpg

The seats pictured here are berlina (i believe) seats. They had a few holes in them, they've sinced been replaced with exec seats in 100% condition
spp40832.jpg

I would bet the back seat has only been sat on a few times haha.. it looks perfect.
spp40842.jpg

engine bay again
spp40932.jpg

More pics when it's in my hot little hands!

Plans include:
-Get body and paint back to 100% (not much needed)
-Mace CAI
-VL-T discs + LSD on the rear
-Possible VT front brake upgrade
-Exhaust of some type, stock sounds a bit sedate.
-More power? I'll be on P's, so no snails.
-Nice chunky cam
In terms of cost/reward, what's a good place to start looking for power?

Shaun

Last edited:

shaunington

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VL SL (RB30E/Jatco 4SPD)
Well, I picked her up a few weeks ago, goes great! Very solid. I was a bit worried when the temp guage sat above the normal (for my other VL) 2 bars, but I found out the new thermostat is aftermarket, so that explains it a bit.

Have done a few hundred k's in her already, the manual box is solid as, and it definetly goes hard when you want/need it to. Took it to the airport twice, just shoved it in 5th and it was purring at 1500ish the whole way.

37191_439450287116_513102116_5811965_7875516_n.jpg

Sits well on the pedders package
14836355.jpg

This was just before going through the dandenongs. Sits so nicely on the road, can slam it into the corners and it feels great all the way through. Stoked!

Rust has been repaired! Check it out, this was the temporary fix to try and stop it from spreading:
img0581r.jpg

And here it is 6 hours of work later:
img0663az.jpg

Happy with that!

Also, heres the paint after a cut and polish. pretty happy with the finish for orig paint!

img0607b.jpg

shyit.jpg

It's pretty poor, I'm a photographer and the only pics I have are taken on my phone haha... More/better ones soon!

EDIT: Mods, could I get a title change?

Last edited:

shaunington

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VL SL (RB30E/Jatco 4SPD)
haha oh and something I just remembered, a few days after I picked it up, I was out with the missus and had to double take at one I saw parked on the side of the road. I was shitting bricks thinking someone nicked it or something as I certainly wasn't in it haha...

Same colour, sitting a little higher than mine, stockies (with dress rings though) etc. It even looked to have a faded spot in the bonnet in the same place haha...

58834650.jpg

shaunington

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VL SL (RB30E/Jatco 4SPD)
I was planning on making an update last week but my phone went swimming so I lost all my recent pics which I'm rather gutted about.

This is the most recent shot ive got, and even this is about 2 months old:

149094_456435352116_513102116_6118011_6529232_n.jpg

Got a stereo happening finally, it's a cheapish system but I'm happy so thats all that matters:

Bob basic Sony headunit
Kevlar 4" splits in the dash
Sony 6x9's in MDF shelf (I know, I know, 6x9s, AND sony at that, but they were free (new, too) and don't sound too bad...)
2x Pioneer 12" Champion series subs in pioneer prefab box powered by Audioline 1000WRMS amp

This is as soon as I got it all working:

YouTube - I think it's time for some Dynamat... - Some Radio, 30-50% vol

Here it is after fiddling with the EQ and gain settings on the amp a little:
YouTube - I think it's time for some Dynamat Pt. 2 - A bit of EQ testing

And here it is, later that day after securing the amp a bit (it'll do for now). Excuse the phone quality, does the sound no justice.

YouTube - Just some more stereo stuff - random radio, fiddling with things etc.

Updated plans for it are:

-Exhaust! (still got the bog stock system)
-When this clutch wears down a bit (its still quite good) I'll slap in a nice heavy duty one
-Had toyed with the idea of an R33 box but im going to save that one until (if at all) i start making some powaaa
-Want to do a VLT conversion (with factory VLT bits, injectors, manifolds etc.) as an introduction to boost, I'm not even on my P's yet, so i'm a bit weary about mr.plod, but I've got many mates who drive around v8s on their reds and have never had a drama, umming an arring about this one...
-Calais tail lights and garnish (already on the way)
-Full VLT rear ends are becoming hard to find, so how does this sound:
Drum-> Disc conversion (replace bearings etc etc and keep it all 25 spl.)
Either go spool (on the cheap) or put a 25spl LSD center (have found a few on ebay, didnt think they exist?) which would give me a VLT setup minus 3 splines? haha
-'Big brake' upgrade on the fronts
-Some rims, I'm a bit over stockies... might go for VL calais, VT Calais international (always loved these) or even just some swirlies for now
-Cleaned up the interior a bit, got some GPA spec sheep covers and mats at the moment, might go(partial?) Calais interior while I'm fixing up some bits here and there
-New locks and barrels
-new boot seal (slight leak that I want gone)
-get A/C regassed!!!
-factory steering wheel (not a fan of the aftermarket one, especially given how bloody hot the metal thumb inserts get on a sunny day)

That's all I can think of for now :p

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
nice looking L man.quite clean.. i like it...
Would not really worry about a cam.. as u will c minimal gains. then u will get used to it and be like like Hmmm it has lost power. :p
Nice CAI and Extractors with 2.1/4 or 2.5" Exhaust would be nice and again minimal gains...
Hang in there while ur on your P's and Build up an A8 motor to put in once u on your opens.
Once your boosted u wont go back to N/A
Goodluck with it.

Must have been An Auto as i C there is the Cruise control Cable to the throttle body.
Does it work too?

shaunington

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VL SL (RB30E/Jatco 4SPD)
Must have been An Auto as i C there is the Cruise control Cable to the throttle body.
Does it work too?

Hey mate, Thanks for the comments. I was thinking that, either do a nice A8 motor (with a DOHC conversion) or even just build up a V8 and whack that in when I'm off my P's.. they like boost too ;)

It's a factory manual (MF5 on the plates, no auto computer loom near steering column) but the previous owner did put on the cruise control unit on for one reason or another, but it doesn't have the plug in the dash, so that's another thing for me to do...

HOLD3N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
tidy VL considering their close to 25 years old now. Thumbs up on the rust repair, bloody VL all rust along there.

shaunington

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VL SL (RB30E/Jatco 4SPD)
Thanks for the comments guys, it is very clean but there are a few bits and bobs I want to change on it.

Chucked some walky cluster cards in there today just for something different (scored them off fleabay cheap so thought why not)

Apoligies for the **** phone pics

14022011006.jpg

14022011008.jpg

First impressions are they are a big difference, and the white dials are SO SO SO SO much easier to read, even in the garage with all the lights off and doors closed, i didnt even need the cluster backlights to read the numbers, and the lights make it very bright indeed.

And tossed the fag altezza clear taillight jobs in the bin in favour of a full (original GM, not repro) VK Calais rear. I was going to go VL Calais, but I know the car isn't a calais and the big 'calais' badge would just **** me, and I really like the look of these. 100000x improvement, and nice tint, too!

Heres some shots of that

Before: (lights that came on it)

14022011010.jpg

After:

14022011020.jpg

14022011012.jpg

Not too sure what's on the cards next, doing a service in a few days, and really really keen on the idea of buying a inj. 304 and T5 and building them up and plonking them in the day i get off my P's haha..

As for the interior, New carpet and new rear window quarter surrounds (where the rear seatbelts bolt into) because one was broken when I got the car, then I was fixing up my L plate and smashed my head on the other and split it, too!

Shaun

Last edited:

shaunington

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VL SL (RB30E/Jatco 4SPD)