Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 5.0 VN Calais freshen up thread

c@l@is

Reaction score
The VR/VS 424 ecu has the thermo fan...the VN/VP/VG/VQ 808 only has a/c thermo fan switched from a/c fan relay so you need to wire up thermo through a davies craig controller

The haltech platinum sport gm is plug n play, a bit expensive $$, plus you need extra adapter for 2 O2 sensors for twin separate exhaust

You said you did a conversion on your car, so I take it was a 6 cyl before ? So what model did you get motor/trans from ?

Hey Achoo, that's a bummer i thought the VN ECU was capable of switching engine fan, didn't realize that was only a VR VS thing .. I'm not using the air conditioning anyway so if I can make use of that circuit that will do? .. car was built from a smashed 1990 vn bt1 auto that that i bought complete for the running gear in about 2003 /2004

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Like you I thought the VN 6 cylinder engine cooling fan was switched by the ECU and a relay.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If bodyshell was originally v6 look under fusebox in engine bay...relay for thermofan & wiring should still be in there although small power wire won't handle high amp ford fans.

Think they also have safety function in ecu/memcal at certain temp also switches on air con fan if they had one...it's super high temp in factory memcal so would need modded memcal....no idea if can do all that on v8 vn/p memcal tbh

My ute was vp v6 shell but used 97 vs driveline...was a pain to wire in due to all differences.

c@l@is

Reaction score
Yeah guys factory v6 car and still has the fan relay fuse and wiring etc, body wiring is mostly untouched. Been hoping I could have the fan switched on in the 808 then setup high current relay and wiring using the signal wire from original relay

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Hey Achoo, that's a bummer i thought the VN ECU was capable of switching engine fan, didn't realize that was only a VR VS thing .. I'm not using the air conditioning anyway so if I can make use of that circuit that will do? .. car was built from a smashed 1990 vn bt1 auto that that i bought complete for the running gear in about 2003 /2004
Yeah my bad, all good didn’t realize car was previously a factory 6cyl converted to 304. I was on about a V8 clutch fan.

Gtrybouy/MikeC are spot on, the 808 uses pin C1 for thermo fan and C2 for a/c though temps are set very high and would need changing or switching to say a davies controller setup.
Even with the haltech sport gm, you need to buy extra HT-040003_00 aux loom to accommodate those temperature coolant/thermo switches/changes.