Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 5.0 VN Calais freshen up thread

c@l@is

Reaction score
hi all :) i have recently got back to working on my VN which i fitted a 5.0 to about 20 years ago then never really used the car much ever since, i moved on to newer cars and different projects at the time and just left the vn in the shed to "mature" lol i feel like its time to give her a birthday and get it back out and about, its been about 5 years since it was last used on the road and about 2 years since the 5.0 was fired up, I started doing some jobs on it about 15 months ago then for a few reasons including health i never got back to it until this week, this is an all round please help thread to get the VN up and running without posting a million different new threads along the way, i will try to ask most things here unless something absolutely requires a thread of its own

To start with i have a couple questions about the order i should be doing the jobs that i started 15 months ago

- I have a vs brake booster and vt master cylinder to go on the car and the rocker covers are currently off getting polished, should i leave the rocker covers off until after i fit the vs booster or can i put them back on whenever

- can i fit the vs booster to the firewall and connect the pedal without fitting the new master cylinder or do they really need to be fit as a pair, i would rather leave the master off until i get to the rest of the brakes so i can bleed it on the bench and because there is currently no calipers (or front suspension) on the car

- been chasing a vs brake reservoir GM-VS21166 which i believe is also au falcon but its no longer available through the dealer, any clues on where i might get one of those?

thanks very much :)

Matt

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Are they VN rocker covers that you sent off to be polished? Because I don't believe the LH VN Rocker cover has the scallop needed to clear the VS brake booster.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes, you can leave the master cylinder off the booster until you're ready to do the brake bleed. It won't hurt the booster....

Any wreckers would have a VS master...Or alternatively, look at classifieds on facebook/gumtree for a VS being wrecked.....If you find one newly listed, that has recently been put off the road, get the master off that, as there is a better chance of it being in good condition, rather than one that has been sitting....

Best of luck and keep us updated

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hi Matt, welcome back.
I would think fitting rocker covers after booster should be fine. Although I didn't know that some VN covers didn't have the cutout for clearance.
I have VZ HSV booster/master (which reverses the taper on the booster) on my VR and I need the crank at 270° so #7 intake is down so that I can remove my rocker cover. Surely yours won't be that bad.

Keep the questions coming.
Keen to help where I can. As others will be too.

c@l@is

Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for the welcome back and for the answers so far i really appreciate it, i struggle doing stuff once these days let alone twice lol :)

yup they are standard vn s2 rocker covers and one is scalloped, also the booster is outward tapered for the win! i guess that means it can go either way without issues so i will bolt the booster up first just as i hoped to and hopefully i don't run in to trouble with the vs booster as deuce did with the bulkier vz booster .. should be good

i have a new vt master and a used vs master (and tank) still on the vs booster, would love a new reservoir if i can find one if not the used one will just have to do, its in okay condition but not awesome

Keep the questions coming he said lol :) ... well actually I already have the next question ready but rather than be lazy and give everyone the chits i will try the search tab first

Cheers all thanks again

c@l@is

Reaction score
Decided I might remove the ac compressor and bracket as the ac has never worked anyway, half the lines and hoses are missing or been open ended and exposed so probably contaminated, I don't use ac anyway im from Tassie where it's always bloody cold the last thing I want on nice warm day is get cold again lol, it will be a cleaner looking engine bay without it, but ..

I have a aeroflow gilmer kit to install which comes with long bolts or studs for the power steering so if I delete the ac that means I will need to take up about 10mm extra on the power steering? Anyone been up against this ..

I could be talked out of removing ac if it's not a major thing to get it serviced but seems like it will be a messy nightmare for something I would rarely use anyway

Cheers

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Decided I might remove the ac compressor and bracket as the ac has never worked anyway, half the lines and hoses are missing or been open ended and exposed so probably contaminated, I don't use ac anyway im from Tassie where it's always bloody cold the last thing I want on nice warm day is get cold again lol, it will be a cleaner looking engine bay without it, but ..

I have a aeroflow gilmer kit to install which comes with long bolts or studs for the power steering so if I delete the ac that means I will need to take up about 10mm extra on the power steering? Anyone been up against this ..

I could be talked out of removing ac if it's not a major thing to get it serviced but seems like it will be a messy nightmare for something I would rarely use anyway

Cheers
If the A/C evaporator has developed a leak due to being open you might as well forget about the A/C forever- you have to pull apart the dashboard to replace it and new evaporators are unobtainable.

If I lived in Tassie and the A/C didn't work I'd take it out.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Still need AC in Tasmania. Are the evaps same as VP? If yes I believe a smart AC tech can make a VR one fit with some mods.