Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 5.0 VN Calais freshen up thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Use A/C in winter to dry the air and help defog your windshield quicker
Yep without AC its windows down, heater on full, while the right side of your head freezes in -8deg temps.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
There's almost no moisture in the air at -8 deg C and it heats up to be super dry. Easy to live with - as a kid some of my Dad's early Holdens weren't even fitted with the optional heaters- there was a towel in the middle of the bench seat or a 12V gadget with 2 suction cups the was stuck to the bottom of the windscreen and plugged into the cigarette lighter socket. People still got by.

Today, replacing the evaporator in a 6 cylinder VP would cost as much as the car was worth- if you could find an evaporator.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not wanting to argue with you Mike, but I can assure you no AC in Tas is exactly the way I have described it. I lived with it for quite a few years until my dash came out on the VR and the core and evap was replaced. Prior to that I also couldn't drive my Jeep in winter without the AC running and that was around two years.
Also someone on here was doing a VP overhaul last year and I'm pretty sure they made a VR evap fit his VP Stato with some mods. Yes VP evap are unattainable. I was also told in no uncertain terms on here that a VP HAVAC won't fit a VR but I proved them wrong when I had it done. They're not a straight fit but it can be done.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just for the record Mike its not the moisture outside that's the issue, it's what you breathe out that fogs up the windows inside the car, when the outside air is below freezing.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Also Mike, if the air is not moist at, minus 2 - minus 8. How do you explain windscreens freezing over, while you're driving along, and by the time you get 400m up the road you have it covered in ice? Fully functioning heater and AC is a must in Tas, just saying.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Just for the record Mike its not the moisture outside that's the issue, it's what you breathe out that fogs up the windows inside the car, when the outside air is below freezing.
That's what my girlfriend use to tell me as I looked over her shoulder.

Seriously, I wonder how many VN/VP Holdens in Australia still have a working AC system? I had to have a new Sanden compressor fitted last year and it cost just over $1k- I like my car and that's why I am on this forum but a lot of owners just spend the minimum needed to their vehicles on the road.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yep, I spent around $2k on my AC and heater. Both were vital, to have any level of comfort, summer and winter. I never replaced the comp, but if I had, a Sanden was the only one I would have considered.

c@l@is

Reaction score
yep i remember the towel on dash and a transistor radio bulldog clipped to the review mirror too lol :)

its all good guys the more i think about the hassle involved in sorting out the air con vs my level of "get er done" for the amount that i will use the car its 100% decided to just remove the compressor and bracket, which can be re-fit at any time if required but it wont be by me! .. honestly i will only want to take it out on decent days anyway

I guess positioning the power steering pump will make more sense when i get the belt kit fit up, so far i have spent a couple days cleaning up the rhs rail from the mess left behind by the old master cylinder and stripping the paint off the rocker covers, it just takes me way too long to get anything done these days and when i do its rarely the result i wished for lol

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
If you pick your days you can live without A/C and even a heater. I have a Triumph TR6 with a rotten heater core- it's a horrible job to replace it and I've bypassed it with a copper pipe as I only take it out on good days

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
RainX is what Drag Challenge dudes use & most of those cars have fog issues etc.

I bought some but yet to try out on vp ute which is gutted out only got baby demister fan for rego....noticed that if clean windows inside regularly fog is not that bad of an issue & I've been daily driving this thing for 3 months waiting for new car to arrive.

Only time it's noticed is when super cold or heavy rain as go into M5 tunnel need to have window down so inside cabin & outside windscreen temp equalize.

She is a gutted rabbit no air con,heater,power steering or anything not needed for rego...sitting in peak hour traffic jam on 30 plus degree day is most annoying part but won't be long term.

Personally would not use gilmer drive on anything n/a