Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 5.0 VN Calais freshen up thread

c@l@is

Reaction score
i can see why you run nothing its probably easier lol, power steering is a pita too but im not ditching that, the ac i can easily live without for the sake of a faster freshen up and less to go wrong

Gilmer yeah i know they just look pretty and gives it that old school feel lol also it helps me clean up the bay if i don't have to clean all the original pullies and junk.. Don't want to flog alternator and water pump bearings so it wont be ran tight, noise will be very minimal its just meaningless bling really, some people wear a necklace :)

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Had non-stop p/steering leaks when it was v6...everytime fixed one leak another would pop up just never stopped so when did v8 conversion went with vl manual steering rack...no more leaks,does suck to park in tight spots.

P/steer was much nicer so might go back to it but with astra pump but doubt it tbh.

Meh holden v8 don't need no gilmer drive with a nice exhaust sound!!!

c@l@is

Reaction score
i rebuilt the rack many years ago, been sitting so long it will probably need doing again .. not fun, bought seal kit for the pump today so i can sort that while its off ..

Nah definitely dont need,, its totally a want

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Just for the record Mike its not the moisture outside that's the issue, it's what you breathe out that fogs up the windows inside the car, when the outside air is below freezing.
You dont need a/c, we have below zero temps, fog, frost here in winter and we dont leave cars outdoors overnight.
Modern efi cars heat up quick, thats how they are designed and heaters work just fine quickly even blowing cold air on windscreen till hot. Usually the outside windscreen fogs up at first with cold air driving but a quick wiper wash and as soon as heater is warming up issue stops happening.

Having a small cabin of ute is yes a bit tricky, maybe thats what losh is going on about, you only have to put hot takeaway on seat, windows up and windscreen fogs up, thats why you leave drivers window down a little bit even in winter, and no a/c needed, BUT its a good idea to run a/c regularly for short sessions to stop seals drying up from summer use only.

c@l@is

Reaction score
Got a bit excited trying to smooth up all the pitting on this old left rocker cover, ended up unintentionally shaving out the small side of the tiny raised edge that gets wider half way along (those that know what I mean will know what I mean lol) .. it's literally bugger all but thought I best post a pic before I proceed incase its actually going to be a problem, good news is the pitting is 99% gone lol...

Now I'm fighting the urge to remove the other half (big half) of this annoying lip! could swear i read here somewhere once where another member completely removed all if this stupid lip but i cant find the post now

Attachments

• rocker cover.jpg
    rocker cover.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

c@l@is

Reaction score
Just about to paint one of my struts and in my cupboard i found a new can of wattyl killrust "epoxy gloss enamel" then down the bottom of the can it says "matt black" lol? .. how can it be epoxy gloss if its matt i mean seriously talk about confusing, anyway its only struts so what ever it is, it will do...

im getting there.. slowly

Reactions: Lex

c@l@is

Reaction score
Some time soon i will need to think about the old fuel tank with the original v6 fuel pump in it, the cars had very little use for 15 years so im wondering is there any real advantage in dropping out the whole tank to clean all the schmuts and change all the hoses or would it be reasonable to just change the pump and service the sender with the tank still in the car ..

also need to pick an in tank pump that will better suit the 5.0

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Use A/C in winter to dry the air and help defog your windshield quicker

100%

Common misconception is you need AC for summer, but I find myself actually using it more in winter. A heater without AC particularly in humidity isn't going to defrost windows, in fact it's likely to make the issue worse.

It's called Air Conditioning not Air Cooling for a reason :p

c@l@is

Reaction score
hey mate, i know what your saying if but it will only be out on nice days anyway, it wont be an issue

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
hey mate, i know what your saying if but it will only be out on nice days anyway, it wont be an issue
I feel you.

My VR has no heater or AC, only comes out on nice cruising days.