Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 5.0 VN Calais freshen up thread

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
If it stays garaged and dry. Then even an early start in mid winter for a big park up and cruise day, you should be fine.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
My vp ute only has demister fan...all other options deleted...been daily driver last 3 or so months.

Keep windows clean maybe try Rain-X or anti-fog can't see it being much of a problem especially on cars rarely driven...noticed on mine after bunch of super hot days parked up/locked next time it rained would get some fog guessing fumes off plastics as wouldn't happen when window were cracked open.

c@l@is

Reaction score
cheers guys, 100% decided ac condenser will be removed but i will leave the rest of the ac system on the car with no intention to ever fix it personally, stuck on deciding what to do about fuel tank id rather not pull it out but looks like i really should so i can clean it out and check everything properly .. maybe i could leave that until later and just get it back on wheels and running for a start :)

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
cheers guys, 100% decided ac condenser will be removed but i will leave the rest of the ac system on the car with no intention to ever fix it personally, stuck on deciding what to do about fuel tank id rather not pull it out but looks like i really should so i can clean it out and check everything properly .. maybe i could leave that until later and just get it back on wheels and running for a start :)
If you stored it in the shed the tank might be OK. The problem with the tanks on unused cars is that the suck in air as they heat and cool each day- if it gets cold at night moisture in the air condenses out on the tank walls and runs to the bottom of the tank, under the petrol, rusting it out.

Your car's been shedded and the VN tank venting system should stop too much air exchange. I'd certainly change all the fuel filters and maybe put a litre or so of metho in the tank to absorb any water that may be there. The metho/water mix will pass through the filters and burn in the engine.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

You could bet your bottom dollar, if you don't pull the tank out and clean it properly, our good kiwi mate will visit you at the most inconvenient time...

So ask yourself, do you want Murphy to visit or not? ;)

c@l@is

Reaction score
lol damn! its one of those things hey it never leaves your mind until its been done

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Pull tank replace all hoses & if looks dodgey in there new fuel pump & strainer...better now than later when trying to work out why it doesn't run right.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
If you do drop the tank I'd replace all the hoses while you can get easy access to them. Modern fuel blends ate my original hoses about 10 years ago.

c@l@is

Reaction score
Yeah I will, I've got enough pulled off it at the moment it's getting a bit overwhelming but as soon as it's on wheels and running again I will pull the tank out.. do people replace the big hose that goes up to the filler?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Only the 15mm breather.