Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 5.0 VN Calais freshen up thread

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If hoses brittle & cracked which most are better off just changing it all so don't need to do it for another 10 years...not the nicest job to do on your on under a car so you'll understand why won't want to do job again anytime soon especially still got 1/4-1/2 tank of fuel.

Use correct efi hoses outside where needed & proper submersible line inside tank.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Yeah I will, I've got enough pulled off it at the moment it's getting a bit overwhelming but as soon as it's on wheels and running again I will pull the tank out.. do people replace the big hose that goes up to the filler?
There's a lot to be said for a rolling restoration- getting the car on the road and driving it around while you repair it at leisure.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Mine sat in a shed dormant for close to 10 years, save the one attempt to get it running after 8 years.

The tank is something that you should get around to - when I pulled the fuel filter, mud fell out of it, which most likely means there is a bit of rust going around in there.

My breather hoses are shot too.

c@l@is

Reaction score
There's a lot to be said for a rolling restoration- getting the car on the road and driving it around while you repair it at leisure.

haha i hope this means you feel positive about rolling restorations :)

The confusion about tank started because i wanted to rebuild injectors then thought, hmm better do tank first so it doesn't suck crap in to new injectors

There's no brake booster on it at the moment so now im looking at the fuel lines under the bonnet thinking its definitely a prime time to do them (even though they were done 15 years ago!) .. probably should check the distributor cap too ..

It was not meant to be like this lol.. i just wanted to clean up the engine bay and overhaul brakes & suspension

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
That it how it all starts haha

Even so tank clean & new hoses,f/pump is mandatory in my books for an efi car that's been sitting for a long time.

Found most of my cars that ran on 98 tanks were clean hoses were greasy/swollen but generally ok yet worked on other people's project cars sit around for years with full tanks or ethanol junk stink like varnish/paint stripper & coated with crud inside.

Do all basics leave cosmetics to get it fired up & driving....get motivation up then return to cosmetic stuff

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
haha i hope this means you feel positive about rolling restorations :)

The confusion about tank started because i wanted to rebuild injectors then thought, hmm better do tank first so it doesn't suck crap in to new injectors

There's no brake booster on it at the moment so now im looking at the fuel lines under the bonnet thinking its definitely a prime time to do them (even though they were done 15 years ago!) .. probably should check the distributor cap too ..

It was not meant to be like this lol.. i just wanted to clean up the engine bay and overhaul brakes & suspension
When working on old cars you have to be careful you don't contract shipwright's disease. I have an old Triumph where it's prevalent amongst the owners:

"Take a moment to consider the tragic condition known as Shipwrights Disease:

Sailor owns boat.
Boat has burned out light in galley.
Sailor decides to replace bulb.
Sailor notices socket is corroded, decides to change socket.
While changing the socket, sailor notices wiring is frayed.
Sailor decides to change wiring.
While replacing the wiring, sailor finds galley ceiling slats are rotted.
While replacing the galley ceiling slats, sailor notices ...

… And so on, and pretty soon, the boat is in dry dock undergoing a major restoration because of a burned out light bulb."

c@l@is

Reaction score
lol last time i ran it there was about 1/4 maybe a bit less of bp 98 so that's a good start ..i guess

shipwrights disease lol ohh deer that's exactly it too ffs

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Whilst it is your choice, starting it up before cleaning a tank out can create more work and expense....

Take it from someone that has been there done that.....Re-building a carb was simple and cheap enough for me, however I don't think a fuel injection system will be as cheap and simple as my carb set up...;)

Mine was a result of being too keen to get a car running that I bought and put a motor in, without knowing how long it had been sitting...

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
When working on old cars you have to be careful you don't contract shipwright's disease. I have an old Triumph where it's prevalent amongst the owners:

"Take a moment to consider the tragic condition known as Shipwrights Disease:

Sailor owns boat.
Boat has burned out light in galley.
Sailor decides to replace bulb.
Sailor notices socket is corroded, decides to change socket.
While changing the socket, sailor notices wiring is frayed.
Sailor decides to change wiring.
While replacing the wiring, sailor finds galley ceiling slats are rotted.
While replacing the galley ceiling slats, sailor notices ...

… And so on, and pretty soon, the boat is in dry dock undergoing a major restoration because of a burned out light bulb."

That's how my restoration went.

Actually takes the pressure off in a way. Works well for a rolling restoration.