Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 5L VQ Daily

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Been posting on here a little of late so i thought i better make a thread about one of my rides.

I decided i needed a daily cruiser as i was doing a fair bit of travel for work. After trawling (pun intended) carsales for many weeks i came across this little gem up in Sydney.
It had only 135,000 original km's on it and according to the log book it only had it's 40,000km service in 1997!
It was sold to the head honcho of a Printers in Sydney and it appeared to remain with the company until atleast 2001 when the receipt shows the same bloke got the windows tinted. Log book is a bit sketchy after that although it did get a reco transmission just before i brought it. Somewhere along the line it also had an LSD installed.

Here are a few pics of it when i picked it up.

I really didn't feel like the chasers were doing such a classy old car any justice so i ebay'd a set of WH Stato wheels for it. $130 or something i paid for them with tyres!
At the same time i felt it needed to sit the f#ck down so some Kings SSL's were installed along with new KYB struts.

Couldn't help myself yet again and picked up a set of VS stato leather seats for $150.

Now around this time i thought performance was lacking due to the old mixer/venturi LPG setup. So in another ebay score i got my hands on a S480 series Gas Research throttle body. After much cleaning and experimentation with various jets and metering rod profiles we got the tune pretty much spot on. Tune is held in the standard Delco ECU with a slight modification that allows it to run 2 tunes which can be selected on the fly depending on which fuel you want to run.

The car was a mess during the tuning phase lol.

I had another "can't help myself" moment and brought a set of genuine fog lights. (Are you detecting a theme here? lol)

And..... I also got a genuine lip kit for it. I have the front lip in shed which i picked up a while after these photos were taken. Haven't gotten around to getting it painted and fitted yet.

And thats pretty much where it sits today. It's been a super reliable car which is fun and economical to cruise. Love the sound of the old 5L especially when i had it diff dumped. The car as it sits now has slightly higher springs in the front as the Y pipe was copping a hiding on speed bumps along with my comfort levels lol.
Here's the nitty gritty of the car with some facts/figures etc.

Engine Type: Holden 5L
Engine Mods: Switchable dual custom tunes, Gas Research TB
Power: 138rwkw on petrol and 128rwkw on LPG
Exhaust: Factory HSV extractors, single 3"
Gearbox: Shift kitted T700
Diff: 3.89 LSD
Brakes: Slotted front rotors, rears standard
Suspension: SL and SSL king springs all round. VS rear trailing arms. Super Pro 4 point camber kit. Rebushed front to back.
Wheels/Tyres: 16x7 WH stato wheels
Interior: VS Leather trim, tinted windows, steel off white Venetians
Stereo: Sony USB H/U, Vibe 6.5" splits front and rear
Build Period: Whenever i can be bothered.
Contacts: No-Limit Performance, myself

Sorry for the long intro post!
Cheers,
Brendan.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Thanks mate. Does the job along with that sweet 5-0 sound.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
vq statesman 93
Thats a nice vq mate I just picked up mine for 1500 needs a bit of work to it tho
3a7ugyty.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Gab vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY BELINA V8, VU, LEXUS, BMW
Beautiful car mate! Very clean for its age

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Thanks dude.

Currently rebuilding a set of Simmons i was given which should look good on it.

Enthusiasm - Bit of TLC will do wonders for that Caprice. They are like driving a lounge room haha!

BrokWoods

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SV6 Ute
I see wollongong pics... You local too mate?

Looks good btw

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Yeah mate. Your one of Matty kings mates ay.
I've seen your wagon around a few times. Had to have a double take on it because of the vq front end. lol

BrokWoods

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SV6 Ute
Yeah i know Kingy man, catch up with him every so often , top bloke.

Ah yeah , will have to wave next time mate. The VQ front end throws a few people off haha.