Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

my 66' impala hardtop :)

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
but that silverado is such a BEAST. i would cruise around in it, drag racing EVERYONE, if i wasnt so **** scared of it.
It's not like you could damage it much...it would demolish anything it hits.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
HQ stubs won't fit a Chev front end. To fit HQ-WB brakes onto a 60's Chev, you will need an adaptor kit to fit the HQ calipers onto the original Chev drum brake stub axles. The HQ rotor will fit straight onto the Chev stub axle though.

Check here:

brake conversion kits

You will need DB017.

again, thanks for this.

i think we have covered it already, but what is the difference between PBR cast and PBR alloy callipers? alloy ones seem to be plentyful, but the weblink says PBR cast MUST be used.

is there a difference at all? can i get casties new?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Plenty of different theories on which one to use. Cast calipers are stronger IMO, but alloy calipers are lighter (obviously). They will all bolt in exactly the same place, so it's all personal preference really. I'd use the caliper that is more readily available.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
ARI!!! Get stuck into it already! :p

Why do you need New Cast's? Just grab an old set an throw a rebuild kit through them - easy as. Pull the pistons out, old seals out. Maybe a light hone if they need it, (or just a touch up with wet and dry) smack a seal in it, then lube up the piston, install the dust cover onto the piston, slide her back home and roll over the dust cover.. Done!

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
Question! my mate has just bought one of these, 62 i think, lhd. And is planning to resto it, anyway it has some 14" wire wheels with that big dome nut with 10 sides, no tyre, tractor and truck shop and cant find the tool to get them off. they can be ordered but take 4 months to get here, do you know where to get one, or even know what im talking about hahah.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
calais, i think i know what you mean. are they a cover, or are they the hub conversion ones? you get the covers on jap cars pretty often. i made a tool out of four 3mm steel belts, which i bolted together in a square via various holes to allow for different sized hubs. then fitted to the hub, then just turned by hand. it worked really well till i was lucky enough to get given the right tool. dunno if that helps ya.

back to brakes, so the alloy and cast are same same, good. i dont care a toss about the weight. would stockies be ok for stopping this beast with a 400kg 454? or are there twin pots reasonably priced? (bang for buck value) i plan on doing all 4 eventually, but just the fronts for now.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
You would possibly want better stopping power with more killer wasps under the bonnet..

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Honestly, HQ brakes will be fine, they're pretty bloody good IMO. I've driven a couple of H series Holdens with big blocks in them (N/A and Blown) and the brakes are capable of stopping the car without any dramas.

About the calipers, you're right that there are PBR and Girlock calipers and there are a few different calipers. HQ ran all cast iron calipers and later model H series Holdens ran a cast iron/alloy caliper, then WB ran a different Commodore style caliper which has an alloy housing and a cast iron anchor plate. They're all interchangable, as in they will all bolt in the same spot and use the same rotor. However, i'm not sure what parts are interchangable from caliper to caliper (pistons etc.).