Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

my 66' impala hardtop :)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
ft.lb. is the usual servo speak. While I haven't dealt with those guys, the mob I used ot use in the US always spoke in ft.lb.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
Yeah the only reason i chose the 25lbs originally was the speed of it. Just didnt want someone getting in the car not being used to the speed of the gear changes and destroying the gearbox if that makes sense

also just checking around the interwebs:

NEW OZ48B 12V DC Linear Actuator 300N 50mm Stroke Free Bracket | eBay

NEW OZ15B 24V DC Linear Actuator 300N 150mm Stroke | eBay

Linear Actuator 12V DC 750N 76kg Force Compact LOW Noise | eBay

pretty sure the 750N one should be able to fair **** it in lol

also been looking at the Arduino software and its starting to make more sense... I've got a work bonus coming in the next pay so I'm going to grab some parts and experiment (mostly because I have discovered I really want to learn how to do this now lol) so once that gets going i'll update you on its progress

Also have you got an idea how far the shifter mechanism has to move linearly just cause I dunno if the 50mm one will be enough or if you need more

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
there are 2 pivot points, the furthest (easier) is 50mm, the closer (harder but less travel) is 35mm. looks like the arc is pretty much spot on 45 degrees. a very very very rough distance of travel for the 50mm hole is 66mm, but the trans is in an awkward spot to get better measurments.

do you need me to be more specific?

also, im not messing around, the hardest gear to get into is park and it was only 3.1nm on the force guage from stationary to changed. 750Nm is waaaaay overkill ;)

edit* please also bear in mind this linkage i am measuring is aftermarket (lokar) if youre looking at making a real kit which people can purchase, you may have to take into account that a stock selector will be different.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
So you measured 3N on the force gauge or did you put a torque wrench on the nut and got 3Nm of torque to turn the selector?
Sorry if i'm not quite understanding what your saying but just trying to figure out what you mean by 3.1nm and how you got that number

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
ive got a force lever, much like a torque wrench, but it measures how much force youve put into something (2 needles, set them on 0 and twist, one needle returns, the other stays where max was). i put it on the nut and measured how much force it took to turn it.

bear in mind, thats at the nut. the force on the end of the pivot will be less.

*edit, but thinking about it more, if you have the exact same length pivot on the servo, thatll bring the force back up to 3Nm

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
Ah k I see what your getting at now: moving away from the linear actuator attached to the current gear selector lever and attaching a servo directly to the gear selector shaft on the gearbox?

Or am i horribly confused lol

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
as a thought, how are you going to get around the pivot? Those actuators don't like to be on something that pivots. They are a ram, good for pushing or pulling something in a straight line, not something that has to go around an arc.... even if it is a small one. It may work without a lobe/cam but I think your pushing the friendship.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
the linear actuators as long as your mount them on a pin so they can pivot at each end will do it easily

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
you sure? The ones we used to use on amp racks and sub boxes wouldn't... in and out.... in and out. just like.... well you know.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR