Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

my 66' impala hardtop :)

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
this circuit http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/Stepper2012Bipolar.html:
Bipolar2012sch.GIF

this (as far as my understanding goes) is a simple stepper motor driver, which can take inputs like off-on-off and convert them to pre-programmed milisecond events for a stepper (servo) the servo motor according to that mouse thread you linked a few pages ago, uses milisections to determine where it should be. so lets say 45 mili = neutral.

so am i wrong in thinking the on-off-on switch will do the job?

i really cant see how we will get a gear that just happens to be exactly spaced to the transmission gear pattern and shares the steering column inner sleeve diameter, while still fitting in the hole the neutral switch used to be in and not having my steering column fold in half cos' i just cut all its core strength out :p

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
The spacing on the gear doesnt really matter... All its doing is driving the encoder which picks up its position relative to its home (0 degrees) position
i.e you select N, the gear set rotates the servo to 37degrees, software reads this and sends a signal to the servo motor at the gearbox telling it to move to the position that would give you N (each gear selection would rotate the encoder to a unique position hence a unique output to the gearbox servo)

The issue is find a gear with the root radius the same as the diameter of the steering column

(this could be a terrible idea but im just spit balling lol)

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
So you want to use those as the actuator down at the gearbox? Would work pretty well i reckon

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
yeah that is a good 100mm long... do you think you could mount it on top of the gearbox or is there no room in the transmission tunnel? then you could have the arm hang down from there

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
green/black combo for ari:

sparks10.jpg

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
boring work tonight. stripped the old black aerosol can paint off, welded up lots of little holes from shitty autoelecs and some rusty rust rust. debating using filler to make it flat as fk, but for now im just gonna rub some rust converter on it then stick it outside:
1240195_10151610636066402_180920707_n.jpg

working on bertha tomorrow so no updates :(