Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My '91 VG 5sp Ute

jayko42

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VG Ute, VL Berlina, HT 307 Ute
Hey guys, this is my 1991 VG ute. I've had it for about a year and have been sort of working on it to get it looking nice for when I get my P's.
The engine's a fully stock Buick V6 with 193,xxx on the clock at the moment. The only thing I've added to the engine was a set of K&N sparkies and 9mm SS Inductions leads. Other than that it's stock.

When I bought it the outside had an absolutely terrible flame paint job on it that looked so tacky it wasn't funny haha. Was cop bait too, so had to go. So I (along with my uncle) have been respraying it in my shed. She shouldn't be too far off but here's some photos of it's progression so far.

The day I bought her:

550086_349289228461756_539185223_n.jpg

Cruise for Charity 9! Went with a good clean and a new set of 18s on her:

DSC_0181.jpg

Back at home after the cruise:

DSC_0239.jpg

The two utes next to each other. I think the VG was jealous when I started the HT up haha:

DSC_0247.jpg

Last drive in it for a while, was Aussie day weekend and went for a drive around Lake Wendouree, windows down pumping AC/DC the whole way:

DSC_0251.jpg

Starting sanding it back, didn't bother with the front bar yet since it's not going back on it:

DSC_0259.jpg

First coat of primer on:

DSC_0261.jpg

Engine bay painted with the color:

DSC_0270.jpg

Guide coat on and wet rubbed twice:

DSC_0277.jpg

It's getting painted Atlas Grey, same as the SS's with the Group A scoop, grille and bumper. Also a set of custom side skirts and rear bar to sort of match in with the bulkier Group A front. Also painting the interior black instead of the disgusting tan.

Current Mods:
VR Bucket seats (instead of bench, was kind of pointless with a floor 5sp)
Sports Steering Wheel
Group A front bar, grille and scoop
Custom rear bar and side skirts
18" alloy wheels
Resprayed Atlas Grey (In progress)
SS Inductions 9mm leads and MSD Ignition Coil

Future Mods:
SS Inductions CAI
Lukey extractors, headers, 2 1/2inch sports exhaust
Possibly mild cam and chip package
Hard tonneau with sports bar

LowVp

VP Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 3.8T T56
couple of things in your mod list i would change:
MSD coils are crap L67 coils are the pick
Holden VS CAI is far cheaper
Pacemaker headers, a prick to fit but flow nicely

but all in all looks pretty tidy

jayko42

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok thanks for the tips mate. I didn't even then of an L67 coil, they're the ones out of the Supercharged V6s aren't they?

LowVp

VP Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 3.8T T56
yep, apparently they have a higher voltage

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
nice to see that abortion of a paint scheme went... youll appreciate and take care of it more that youve put some work in on it yourself. the group A bar might look a little funny if you dont follow through with the rest of the kit. uncle have paint experience? nice work man :spot on:

jayko42

Reaction score
Members Ride
looks good mate should look awesome with the respray.
manual too good bonus right there

That was one of the main reasons I bought it haha. Had to weigh it up between terrible paint job and low kms, 5sp.

nice to see that abortion of a paint scheme went... youll appreciate and take care of it more that youve put some work in on it yourself. the group A bar might look a little funny if you dont follow through with the rest of the kit. uncle have paint experience? nice work man :spot on:

For sure mate, I'll be sure to take care of it now. Yeah I thought that, that's why I got some custom sides and rear to suit the ute that will blend in well.

He worked as a spray painter/panel beater for 20 years so it's good to have him around haha.

jayko42

Reaction score
Members Ride
Still rubbing back the body kit at this stage and getting some of the pin holes in the fibreglass out. I smashed my thumb on a safe door at work yesterday so haven't really had a chance to do much. Is coming along good though