Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

my 92 vp is overheating

nuskoolVP

cookiezncremeVP
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VPcommodore purple
hey peoples hoping ppl could give me help or tips to see whats wrong with my car..

i just bought a 92vp commodore its purple pink colour..
anywayz after buying it,it was running fine until my mother drove it and all of a sudden it has been overheating...
the heat taco goes up on a 20min drive all gets all the way up to the H mark n i stop let it kool down but the radiator is always cold and when i touch the cap its normal..
but sumntimes when i drive it the taco starts goin up i go abit fast and then take my foot off the accellerator and just let it roll and all of a sudden the taco starts going down which is weird but sumtimes it stil goes back t hot...
but the past week when i hav been driving it gets about halfway or three quarters up the H taco and you can hear steaming sound and see steam coming thru the bonnet i've checked a few times and it looks like the steam is coming from the bottom of the engine round where the spark plugs are its just steaming and u hear the noise of it must be reali hot...i keep having to put water in the radiator aswell and the fan hasnt bin sinning at all is that normal??...

my vp runs on dual fuel but on gas at the moment because it needs a new fuel pump but im thinking the gas has made it lack in power alot..when i put my foot down on the accellerator it sounds like ive put my foot rite down but it takes off slow and takes awhile for it to get up to normal road speed then ive got press down abit too get it to keep up to normal speed or faster its okay but im thinking it needs something done to get the power back..does anyone have any ideas???...im eventualli going to take out the gas and the bottle in the bak so i kan put sum subs in..would like to know anyone that knows anybodi in melbourne area that will uninstall the gas in my car??...please help i want my car back on the road plus ive got heaps of mods i want to put on my car...

orlando

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 wagon
Sounds like a head gasket to me.

skunks.monks

The one that you missed
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Toyota Lexcen (VP)
I had a similar problem as you with my Vp when I got it. I was driving down the freeway and it slowyl climbed up and then put my foot down and it went down, and then normal driving it went up to H and past it again! My radiator was 98% blocked and the top bit where u fill up the radiator was 3/4 clogged with solid rust/dirt/mud/grime ect... :( Was not a pleasant day! The guy who did my radiator was so shocked on how bad my radiator was, he still has it to this day, and knows me as "That guy with the ****ed radiator!"

If the radiator is always cold then ur radiator is blocked, you may need to replace it or get it professionally unblocked, and then have the whole system flushed, or you have done a head gasket...

hope its not a head gasket as if i remember correctly, it is expensive to fix... My new radiator + flushing... ect cost me $400...

in my mums puslar new head gasket and cleaned out radiator and flush cost $1400 i think...

Good luck anyway!

Here is a picture of my radiator when they pulled it out!
29102008278.jpg

nuskoolVP

cookiezncremeVP
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VPcommodore purple
thanks for the tip im going to get it checked out
it definitely sounds similiar to yur overheating problem and i hope it is
cause we all kno that head gasket cost alot

but one thing was your car steaming at all?? like when you pulled over?
because mine does that
but yeah bottom line i'l get it checkd out and let yu know what was wrong...

skunks.monks

The one that you missed
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Toyota Lexcen (VP)
I don't know if mine was steaming or not, as I had a power steering leak at the time which was leaking onto the exhaust which was causing some smoke, but I think there was a bit.. Where in Melbourne are you?

nuskoolVP

cookiezncremeVP
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VPcommodore purple
sup pplz...all the ideas that came up werent actually tha problem..the gas converter was leaking into the water pump causing it to overheat..so glad it wasnt a head gasket...
but yeh only cost me 350 to get fixd plus a few utha fingz along with it got fixd..other than that the engine i found out is no good to do up so im saving up for a second vn or vp engine gona cost me all up 850...but my car isd still in good running order just would be alot better..