Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 96 calais

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I got a card from a lady @ autobarn the other day for a local bloke that does some really good interior work ( had pics ect) so im going 2 look @ all options before i go ahead with any thing, but i am hoping by the time i am done with the car she will be a little unique and built just the way i want:p im also holding off on the new leather until my son can be seated into a booster seat (he,s almost 2years old now) so about another 2years (i know a long time 2 wait) but his normal baby capsule presses into the middle leather seat rather hard and has left an indent:( and the booster seat wont do that ect, but the real thing im holding out for is the LS1 conversion should give a little more poke than the old ecotec:D

cant wait to see this, any idea on what that leather trimming would cost? have you considered laying sheepskin or wool underlay or whatever under the baby seat?

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
A few updates

Well i thought the poor calais was in need of a little TLC so i got round to doing a few little things like matching the roof trim up with the work i had done on the doors! The old man and me pulled the old hood lining out,stripped it and replaced it with crushed velvet!! The overall effect was very nice indeed and should look tops when the black leather & woodgrain go in!! The badges also where not doing much in the way of making the car look better so i also debadged it a little! The Tint also was looking a little tired and was not providing any protection from the sun ect so i had the tint redone yesterday in 18% with metal backed film (it does not fade like die tints) and it also comes with nation wide 25year guarantee against fading,bubbling,peeling ect and so it bloody should for $400!! anyway just thought you lads might enjoy:)
f0s2eu.jpg

2vtekgh.jpg

158bnus.jpg

2j51mir.jpg

kestvc.jpg

i6awie.jpg

29nxxyq.jpg

34oq838.jpg

5f55wx.jpg

2vkkq38.jpg

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Time 2 sort my audio!

Been looking @ sorting out my car audio setup, & as such i wouldn't mind a sub for the boot, but with the car being a daily, i really cant take all the boot space up on subs, so i thought why not throw a sub up on the parcel shelf!
I went down to Autobarn and looked @ the subs they use in utes and judging from what i measured down @ autobarn i can get @ least one 12" up there, and possibly 2 tens as well! The great thing about this mod is that it dose not require any cutting of any metal on the shelf and shouldn't hopefully be a problem with the boys in blue (unless there being picky lo)! The pic with the plates sitting on the shelf, where just a rough idea of how much room the two 10" subs will take and the smaller saucers are for the splits, but nothing is set yet! I might just run the one 12" and just splits! also the 6x9,s are just sitting up there, im not sure what i will do with them @ the moment, i could put them up there instead of the splits but i would prefer the splits! anyway i will see how it turns out, and if all else fails then looks like the groceries will be sharing the boot after all:p!!
25511fk.jpg

oayb75.jpg

30ti82s.jpg

2zs02tf.jpg

qyybmo.jpg

2vm61qu.jpg

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
Did you end up getting the Stato console? Nice work by the way.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Did you end up getting the Stato console? Nice work by the way.

Cheers mate! Yeah got the console (the top cover only not the whole thing) and it looks great but there is a 5ml gap under the stereo surround that i cant for the life of me seem to close:( I think it's the actual base of the calais console that's causing the problem, I wager it's different from the stato models, as i also had to trim a bit of plastic off part of the inner console just to get the stato top cover to sit down flush and fit! But I haven't given up with it yet! Just got to get a bit of time (and patience:whistleing: )and i will sort it out:thumbsup:

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
Cheers mate! Yeah got the console (the top cover only not the whole thing) and it looks great but there is a 5ml gap under the stereo surround that i cant for the life of me seem to close:( I think it's the actual base of the calais console that's causing the problem, I wager it's different from the stato models, as i also had to trim a bit of plastic off part of the inner console just to get the stato top cover to sit down flush and fit! But I haven't given up with it yet! Just got to get a bit of time (and patience:whistleing: )and i will sort it out:thumbsup:

There are two screws near the base of the stereo surround that you can adjust that raises and lowers the height of the console. Maybe try playing around with them and see if it helps? Also make sure every one of the tangs locks into place, especially the one near the handbrake. I spent a couple of days with mine before I finally got it to sit flush.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
There are two screws near the base of the stereo surround that you can adjust that raises and lowers the height of the console. Maybe try playing around with them and see if it helps? Also make sure every one of the tangs locks into place, especially the one near the handbrake. I spent a couple of days with mine before I finally got it to sit flush.
Cheers for the info mate:thumbsup:
Yeah i had a play around with the screws but it didn't seem to do anything:( and its supprising how long it takes to muck around with this stuff:wax:!! but on a good note i found a fusion 12" sub that i like for real cheap, so i will pick it up tommoz when i get some time! I also decided to keep the 6x9,s and just seal them into the shelf for some added bass as the 10" subs where supprisingly lacking!(especially for the price) and the 6x9,s i have sounded alot better imo! Anyway just hope it all fits up nice and neat! Looking foward to getting stuck into it with the fiberglass tommorow:D
ppowh.jpg

2jfc00k.jpg

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Got around to grabbing the sub today, i have also covered the shelf in cloth and fiberglass as well as the underside in sound deadener!
348im10.jpg

91r8.jpg

161dtnl.jpg

2n1cpi9.jpg

1hcg2c.jpg

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Luvin it

Finally got the unit covered today and installed into the back of the car!
Havent got the sub hooked up yet but it sounds awesome with just the 6x9,s and the splits (although there not quite right just yet:wax:) Overall im really happy with the outcome, lets hope it sounds as good as it looks:D!
Edit, I should tell the truth.. Its alot easier to do this work when you have mini me,s helping ya like the one in the photo below:p!

hth8ir.jpg

ouxegz.jpg

eurekamad94

street kiddo
Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted, tuned, sick pantha VS
that's a nice install on the shelf you got there ! suprised i havent seen ya round aye