Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My A9Y VL Calais Wagon

VL_3692

Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL Berlina 5L, VR Daily
Cheers MUS, happy with the spray. Haven't even washed or buffed it yet so can only get better.

VL_3692

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, reading back on some of my posts planning to have this up and running by the end of 2013 I have failed myself. Too many hangovers and not enough motivation to work on the wagon.

But I've finally pulled my finger out and made some progress today after work. Removed the gearbox from the engine and getting the flywheel machined tomorrow.
null_zpsc7da359e.jpg

Tucked in the ute, will give it a full clean before joining it back up with the motor.
null_zpsb224cae5.jpg

Now the wagon is getting towed to my work tomorrow where the engine swap will take place over the weekend and maybe see if I can get the windows working aswell.

To do before new engine goes in:
- Timing belt, water pump, cam/crank seals
- flywheel machine, new clutch kit, new thrust and spigot bearings
- plugs and leads (done)
- rear main seal
- engine mounts
- thermostat
- new slave cylinder and clutch master

Then hopefully it just slides in.

Pic of the new daily. Vz ss 6speed
null_zps032a6ebc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VL_3692

Reaction score
Members Ride
Got the engine out earlier tonight. Only took about 2 and a half hours with a lot of stuffing around cutting the exhaust that had been welded up previously.

null_zps4cad1f81.jpg

null_zps450d8225.jpg

Disregard all the auto oil and coolant.

Up early again tomorrow to prep the new engine and hopefully have it running sometime tomorrow afternoon.

VL_3692

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not as much progress as I would've liked today. Bit of stuffing around and some issues, mainly with the crank pulley being stuck. Broke the oxy out to heat it up and still Wouldn't budge. Ending up cutting it an taping it off but in the process damaged the housing behind it. will just use the one from the old motor.

The crank pulley which caused massive headaches
null_zps9557c539.jpg

Also cut the auto brake pedal down to manual size
null_zpsc1578e78.jpg

Cleaned the gearbox up
null_zpsca7b3311.jpg

And as the engine sits currently, sump off and yet to refit timing belt. Have fitted flywheel and the clutch is all set up. Also replaced the rear main seal.
null_zps4a7fe9da.jpg

To do tomorrow:
- refit sump
- refit front housing
- cam and crank seals
- fit tensioner and timing belt, refit timing covers
- fit a/c compressor and swap power steer pumps.
- reattach gearbox and refit engine.

And hopefull she fires up. Will be loud as will only be running to the dump as the old exhaust doesn't line up due to the extractors being welded on.

VL_3692

Reaction score
Members Ride
Okay, after a few long days and a couple of long nights, the new drivetrain is finally bolted in.

null_zps24af3409.jpg

Everything in the bay back in and fitted
null_zps66742e81.jpg

null_zps2a9725bc.jpg

Couple more hours of work and we should be ready to start up, all be it very loudly.

To do:
- fit new slave and clutch master, clutch pedal , bleed clutch
- fit shifter
- flush cooling system
- fit dump pipe

Will have to wait until Thursday next week for my 3" exhaust to arrive. So wont be able to properly drive until then. Once I'm happy with the drivetrain next step will be to look at the windows and replacing the majority of suspension. Also upgrading brakes to VT items.

Cheers for the views/comments

VL_3692

Reaction score
Members Ride
Okay, went to start it up this arvo. Cranks nicely but will not start, will start with aerostart. Have strong spark but found out I have no injector pulse. Does the crank angle sensor have anything to do with the firing of the injectors?

VL_3692

Reaction score
Members Ride
On another note my exhaust arrived today. 200 cell cat, single muffler, 3"
null_zpscd0e38f8.jpg

VL_3692

Reaction score
Members Ride
Right now I'm so happy. All the headaches in the build seem so distance now, I drove my turbo wagon for the first time. First time driving a VL turbo and I love it. As it sits now

null_zpsf31f078f.jpg

Fitted the exhaust up as well, sounds really nice.
null_zps026809b3.jpg

null_zps21eb79e5.jpg

VL_3692

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you feel like a read, here it is.

Hello everyone, havent posted here for over a year but a whole heaps has happened. This is all copy pasted from another forum for whoever is interested.

Slow going of late. Picked up a genuine Calais steering wheel and mx7 speedo cable. Ordered all new shocks, springs, trailing and control arms. Got the rear springs, trailing arms and shocks fitted today, would've loved to get the fronts as well but couldn't get tr bonnet open haha.

null_zpsdbaa63cc.jpg

null_zpsb9fecc81.jpg

How she sits now
null_zps7c032b29.jpg

null_zpsf9702135.jpg

Hopefully get the fronts done this week, then assess what was causing the bonnet issue, once I get it open. Then look into upgraded sway bars and bushes then some upgraded brakes.

Little update, ordered a heap of stuff from rarespares.
- new rubber kit
- Calais badges for nosecone and guards, and turbo badge for tailgate
- manual surround with boot
- bonnet cable

Got the bonnet open after taken the grill out, turns out the cable was majorly stretched. I could now replace the front springs, shocks, strut tops and front control arms.
Was surprised with how short a time it took.

null_zpsaff7ebed.jpg

Once installed:
null_zps788ffb44.jpg

New arms:
null_zps1c52aaa2.jpg

Also got the power windows half sorted, needed a new main switch, the o/s/f needs a new motor and the rears have fallen out of there channels and keep sagging. Hopefully have everything rectified soon and all the windows working.

New switches
null_zpse24691eb.jpg

And how she sits now, poor photography skills.
null_zpsfb92fef7.jpg

null_zpsf0123c97.jpg

That's about all mate, then go through the rego process. Everything I've font so far were the main items I wanted done before registering.

null_zps56440bc9.jpg

All my rare spares parts came! Badges, new rubber kit, bonnet cable and manual surround

Got a bit of work done this morning. Fitted new bonnet cable and original steering wheel.
null_zps5cabbd0e.jpg

Don't worry, it's on straight.

And also test fitted my new wheels. I think it looks killer
null_zps389253f6.jpg

null_zpseae181f2.jpg

null_zpseb457b10.jpg

Needs to be a bit lower in the rear, might have to put sedan springs in. Not long til I'm on the road now!

Couple more photos with the wheels. Was disappointed that it wasn't don't for the meet but will be there at the next one

null_zps0b5bb67f.jpg

null_zpsa00d66e3.jpg

null_zps7331cd81.jpg

With my daily after A wash
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm171/Aussie3692/null_zps2cd19674.jpg[/IMG

Got some more done today, refitted the seats, kick panels, centre console and rear door trims. Left the front door trims off as I still need to replace both front check straps ( who has done this before?)

[IMG]http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm171/Aussie3692/null_zps2abc1113.jpg
null_zps3759f293.jpg

null_zpsf47553ab.jpg

I will end up painting the shifter surround eventually. Still a lot left to do but checking things off the list as well. Also have some plates in mind aswell

Been a couple of weeks since an update. Had some time yesterday to do a few things. Put a new set of front sway bar links in and fitted up the speedo cable, which still didn't work after I went for a drive. :s

And I also got some new wheels

Swapped them for the g8s that I had on my ute, and the gts are now on that.

Did a bit tonight. Sedan ultras in the rear, adjustable panhard rod and got the speedo working. There was this adapter on the side of the box?

It had a square hole so the circle cable wouldn't fit? So I undid it from the box And ran the cable straight into the box. Maybe it was an adapter so you could run and auto cable? Anyway it works now :)

And how it sits now, so much happier with it. Can't even fit 1 finger in the wheel gap, tighter then a nun.

For those eagerly awaiting an update here it is.

Since the last post I have been acquiring various parts but have also been quite lazy but I pulled my finger out tonight!

We all know standard brakes are pretty average so I went down the VT upgrade on the front. Slotted rotors and remsa front pads. Purchased some vt calipers and anchors from a wrecker and had them sandblasted and rebuilt.

And vt hub adapters from race brakes Sydney, highly recommend them.

All fitted up and brakes bled, all new braided lines front and rear

And also fitted a new ignition barrel as the old one could be started with a flatblade. Have also got some front check straps to go in as well and also having a few cold start issues. Will be ready for summer I hope!

Okay so on my day off this happened at work, wasn't told about it until I went in the next morning. I was filthy. Apparently the bar got caught on the bottom of the hoist and just ripped off.

Anyway, sourced a new front bar and sides, got them painted and fitted the new bar up this arvo.

Didn't really look in real life but looking at the photos it appears the colour between the bar and moulds is different , have to have another look

Okay so today is the first time I have driven this further than around the block. 16km from work to home and she went really well, still a few suspension issues but can all be sorted in the near future.

Also put in all 4 door seals, and refitted the front door trims.

This thread has been pretty dormant for a while but here is an update. Was never 100% happy with the internationals so I have moved on to one of my favorite wheels, VY SS.

Found these for sale, had $1500 spent on them, fully sandblasted and powdercoated, as close as possible to factory paint. They do you look a bit different but less so in the sunlight. Negotiated on a price as the tyres were shagged, put them in the ute and off I went.

Next day I organized 4 new tyres, Pirelli 235/40/18s and had all the wheels balanced. Less writing, more pics.

Took a whole bunch of photos, these are my favorites, don't mind my Instagram editing skills.

Now I'd love to get this to the meet at sublime point and all that I really need to do is get it registered and decide on plates. I'd love to incorporate A9Y into a plate but can't justify the rta fee per year. So I've been toying with GMH-49Y, (thoughts?) hopefully most people will get it but not everyone has a wagon and is aware of that option code.

But I digress, really keen to start driving this often and getting out to meets and meeting new people and checking out everyone's VL. Thanks for viewing

Update time, she is now registered

I drove all the way home with a smile (not in the VL), just have to sort out my insurance then I will go for a drive and I will be at the meet this Sunday.