Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My air box?

SL/E 82

Reaction score
Members Ride
SL/E 308
Just did this with hole saw. I lined it up perfect, almost looks factory lol.
Have a massive breather hole at top now as I cut part of radiator shroud out and it has a good air gap underneath headlig which allows air in. Only thing I’ve noticed ( revving it in driveway it a hiss as I hit the accelerator. My mate reckons it’ll be better while travelling.
And there is a shroud just not like the vz I think. I had to drill through air box then shroud. I only took top of air cleaner box off and the filter out and drilled box from inside out whole box was in car. I’m pretty happy with how I lined them up.

As I said I drilled through air box and shroud in one go. I have 2 pieces of plastic in my home saw. It’s still damned from engine heat it’s jyst that second hole I drilled. It sucks though air from a big gap under headlight and from the above radiator shroud pics. I’ll get better pics tomorrow and take it for a drive.
Thanks guys

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
That's what pvc pipe is for to bridge them together sealing out engine bay heat.

Air is drawn from around headlight/bumper areas.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I also did not read that earlier as saying you drilled the airbox.

You should have just removed everything, including the airbox (which is really easy to do) and done it a bit cleaner and tidier.

As @gtrboyy has said, you need to bridge that up to take advantage of the parts you have.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Did you use a hole saw that suits the OD of 80mm DWV or 90mm SW or 100mm DWV PVC pipe?

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
I drilled my second hole on the guard side tough for cops to see it...yes and it hisses too when on the throttle

Im not noticing any gains but long drives on thefreeway and with 2 new oxygen sensors ive been getting 9.5litres per 100kms which was a nice sight

On my executive ive had that chrome bonnet strip and i realised the item actually completely blocks all air flow to the factory mouth piece of air intake. So took that off

Does anyone reckon that buying those smooth flat blue intake pipes will enhance intake or the stock rippled are fine

SL/E 82

Reaction score
Members Ride
SL/E 308
I also did not read that earlier as saying you drilled the airbox.

You should have just removed everything, including the airbox (which is really easy to do) and done it a bit cleaner and tidier.

As @gtrboyy has said, you need to bridge that up to take advantage of the parts you have.
No need to remove airbox, I was able to drill from inside air box with 50mm hole saw and it lined up just how I wanted. I have plans for a rectangular hole and that flat square pvc 90 degree gutter that will draw directly and only from that big gap under headlight. I’ll seal it with appropriate bulkheads or like tank seals.

SL/E 82

Reaction score
Members Ride
SL/E 308
I still have cloth air filter too not a high flow

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Not saying you can’t do it. Just that by removing the parts, you do a much nicer, cleaner job.