Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My air box?

SL/E 82

Reaction score
Members Ride
SL/E 308
D5AADE24-E30C-4B2E-878A-D6ADF73A6EE4.jpeg

SL/E 82

Reaction score
Members Ride
SL/E 308
Just did this with hole saw. I lined it up perfect, almost looks factory lol.
Have a massive breather hole at top now as I cut part of radiator shroud out and it has a good air gap underneath headlig which allows air in. Only thing I’ve noticed ( revving it in driveway it a hiss as I hit the accelerator. My mate reckons it’ll be better while travelling.
And there is a shroud just not like the vz I think. I had to drill through air box then shroud. I only took top of air cleaner box off and the filter out and drilled box from inside out whole box was in car. I’m pretty happy with how I lined them up.

SL/E 82

Reaction score
Members Ride
SL/E 308
See my air box doesn’t have that hard line ridge/ bracket to the right of the original hole? Mines more a conform one

SL/E 82

Reaction score
Members Ride
SL/E 308
Looking at your pics fu man then mine. If you look would you guys agree my original home was sawn off. It looks like saw marks across original pipe home in airbox I reckon.

SL/E 82

Reaction score
Members Ride
SL/E 308
Sorry I’m wrong that hard line/ ridge bracket would be on airbox not the shroud which I’ve shown photos of sorry

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Looking at your pics fu man then mine. If you look would you guys agree my original home was sawn off. It looks like saw marks across original pipe home in airbox I reckon.

Have you drilled just the air dam, or the airbox as well?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Where you put that hole is there matching hole through airbox base?

When I did mine chopped up pvc pipe so it could get colder air from front of car sealed off by plastic dam instead of engine bay.

Go too high no good as that's where filter is.

Decent freebie mod for cars still on stock tune with maf/airbox...notice it most in mid-range when jandalled.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I'm going to keep an eye out for one of those air dams. There's one on eBay for $50, but postage is $70+!
In the words of the Oz Brothers, "It's unbelievable"

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Think factory item is from vt maybe early vx models iirc.

Either way if you google up old archived 'ls1 2 hole mods' you'll see pics etc ways it can be done....when put all back together couldn't tell I'd done to my sv8 unless took airfilter out or knew how quiet & slower it was before freebie mod.

Ofcourse it wasn't enough & so did otr/tune/extractors/cats....proves I can't keep a v8 stock lol