Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My brand new RS-V experience. And a sloping HUD.

Tumbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RSV Sportswagon
I have recently bought an RS-V sportswagon. As I live regional, my local dealership only had a demo Calais Tourer, so I had this for 24 hours and really liked it, but preferred the trim level and tech of the RS-V, so ordered that.
After only driving it for 32 kms, I had a full power steering failure. This was a bit of a downer after only owning the car for 3 hours. So back to the dealership for repair, which took 3 weeks mind you as they couldn't find the fault even with Holden Technical Assistance. Well this is what they told me. In the end it was some board that was arcing. The whole saga with Holden Customer Care is pages long, I know this as I have documented everything. They went from offering me a replacement vehicle to me ending up with 3 free services. Yay for me.
Anyway, when I got my car back and finally was able to drive it, I noticed that the HUD sloped left. So back to the dealership to get a professional technical diagnosis and it wasn't just my eyes. Sure enough, both the service manager and foreman both thought it sloped left, as well as a few other people. So back to Holden Technical and Customer Care. Anyway a couple of weeks later after photos, numerous visits back to the dealership, Holden contacted me that the sloped HUD was in the design of the car and nothing could be done about it as all vehicles with a HUD are the same. So they admitted it does, in writing as well, just nothing can be done about it.
Funny thing though, I was told that the MY19 models will be coming with DIC software that enables the driver to adjust all of the angles of the HUD, not just up and down as per MY18 vehicles.
As this was not a safety issue or in any way stopping the vehicle from operating, ACCC cannot do anything unless all owners complained to them about it and as it was "in the design of the vehicle", a replacement vehicle would be useless as it would have the same issue.
So, apart from the annoyance of a sloping HUD, loss of power steering and having to deal wiht Holden Customer Care, I really like the RS-V. I think it handles great, has heaps of oomph and sounds pretty good as well. It is really comfortable to drive and is not bad on fuel when and if I drive it conservatively.
I would like to know out of the few other ZB owners that have a HUD if you think it slopes to the left and if so, have you reported it?

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
I have recently bought an RS-V sportswagon. As I live regional, my local dealership only had a demo Calais Tourer, so I had this for 24 hours and really liked it, but preferred the trim level and tech of the RS-V, so ordered that.
After only driving it for 32 kms, I had a full power steering failure. This was a bit of a downer after only owning the car for 3 hours. So back to the dealership for repair, which took 3 weeks mind you as they couldn't find the fault even with Holden Technical Assistance. Well this is what they told me. In the end it was some board that was arcing. The whole saga with Holden Customer Care is pages long, I know this as I have documented everything. They went from offering me a replacement vehicle to me ending up with 3 free services. Yay for me.
Anyway, when I got my car back and finally was able to drive it, I noticed that the HUD sloped left. So back to the dealership to get a professional technical diagnosis and it wasn't just my eyes. Sure enough, both the service manager and foreman both thought it sloped left, as well as a few other people. So back to Holden Technical and Customer Care. Anyway a couple of weeks later after photos, numerous visits back to the dealership, Holden contacted me that the sloped HUD was in the design of the car and nothing could be done about it as all vehicles with a HUD are the same. So they admitted it does, in writing as well, just nothing can be done about it.
Funny thing though, I was told that the MY19 models will be coming with DIC software that enables the driver to adjust all of the angles of the HUD, not just up and down as per MY18 vehicles.
As this was not a safety issue or in any way stopping the vehicle from operating, ACCC cannot do anything unless all owners complained to them about it and as it was "in the design of the vehicle", a replacement vehicle would be useless as it would have the same issue.
So, apart from the annoyance of a sloping HUD, loss of power steering and having to deal wiht Holden Customer Care, I really like the RS-V. I think it handles great, has heaps of oomph and sounds pretty good as well. It is really comfortable to drive and is not bad on fuel when and if I drive it conservatively.
I would like to know out of the few other ZB owners that have a HUD if you think it slopes to the left and if so, have you reported it?
The ol gm pox

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
The typical "that's normal" response from Holden.
Did the Calais you test drove have this problem? Go back and ask to look.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Just my opinion but I think the slope of the bonnet to the right and down which is immediately underneath the projection area of the HUD gives the optical illusion that the HUD is sloping to the left. I've never thought of mine as sloping but now you point it out you could interpret it this way but I find if you try and blank the bonnet line out of your eyesight's frame of reference it looks flat.

I think in some ways this is analogous to the old rabbit-duck illusion and I think people see what they want to see lol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit–duck_illusion

For what its worth I think having a HUD as standard kit in a vehicle at this price point is pretty remarkable.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director

I noticed they slope left as it could be they are set up for LHD. I have driven a few but then again some of the VF cars I drove also slope to the left. The Windscreen angle probably doesn't help.

Tumbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RSV Sportswagon
The typical "that's normal" response from Holden.
Did the Calais you test drove have this problem? Go back and ask to look.
The Calais doesn't have a HUD, only the Calais-V. The HUD was one of the features on why I chose the RS-V over the Calais. Sort of mid way between the Calais and Calais-V. Funny thing is that Holden Technical admitted it did have a wonky HUD as do all variants of the ZB so it "is in the design of the vehicle". Just thought it was a bit of a cop out.

Tumbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RSV Sportswagon
Just my opinion but I think the slope of the bonnet to the right and down which is immediately underneath the projection area of the HUD gives the optical illusion that the HUD is sloping to the left. I've never thought of mine as sloping but now you point it out you could interpret it this way but I find if you try and blank the bonnet line out of your eyesight's frame of reference it looks flat.

I think in some ways this is analogous to the old rabbit-duck illusion and I think people see what they want to see lol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit–duck_illusion

For what its worth I think having a HUD as standard kit in a vehicle at this price point is pretty remarkable.
That is what the technicians thought, but they took photos and if you do the up and down adjustment where the corner lines come up, it is definitely wonky. I even took a night photo with all the lights blanked out so there was not bonnet reflection and the consensus was the same. I loved the price and the level of tech, which is one reason for my choice. Love the car the more I drive it. A couple of more niggly things have happened like the washer bottle motor is leaking, but that is what warranty is for. I am getting used the "European growl", rather than the growl I had from my SS-V Redline, but did wish it had the meatier sound.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Fair enough mate. Can't say that I noticed it until you pointed it out...still not sure if it really does lean left or its an optical illusion..doesn't trouble me to be honest.
Just curious. How do you find the handling compared to your SSV-Redline ?

Tumbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RSV Sportswagon
I think that it sits better on the road and stuff all body roll around bends at speed. Under full acceleration from stop position I would think it is about equal, and feels quicker to pick up if I want to do a full throttle overtake. Generally very happy with her. I love the interior make up, especially the front "cockpit" like set-up. Everything has a good feel to it and other than a creaking from the cargo blind, (some velvet tape will fix this), there are no rattles or squeaks so far as with my SS-V. The seats are great, but would ideally would have preferred the ones in the VRX as they are more adjustable.
I just need to change the wheels as they are ugly and don't suit the styling in my opinion.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Thanks for the feedback mate. Agree handling and general ergonomics are top notch.
Funnily enough I got the dealer to swap out my 20 inch Calais V wheels for RSV wheels because I liked them heaps better lol