Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My car drinks more fuel than a Russian peasant drinks vodka

INMYHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Clubsport
Hey all,

Now i know driving a LS1 isn't supposed to be easy on fuel or economical but my car takes the p1ss with fuel consumption. The best avg fuel consumption reading i could get ever get off the computer was 16.9L and that was once!. More often than not, it hovers around 18.0-18.5L. When I park my car at night and go to start it in the mornings, it's like a quarter tank has disappeared too?! (going off the factory fuel gauge).

Modification wise, i've got a 2.5 in cat back and an OTRCAI running the MAF.

Does my car simply need a tune to get it running efficient or are there are any other checks or repairs that I could do to help with fuel consumption? I've cleaned the throttle body and the IPA(?) so far and used a cleaner for the inlet manifold too. Is it also possible that I'm leaking fuel some where?

I use almost $200 in petrol a week and that's just for casual cruising. HELP!!! before i started necking vodka like a Russian peasant!

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Usual things to clean

Maf sensor with proper cleaner
Maybe renew the O2 sensors
Renew air filter
Check plugs condition
Check for any rattles in cat converters (they original?

IAP? What's that?

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
What sort of driving do you do? Is it stop start all the time? Motor Way? Country? or a mix.

Do you do an actual check on the consumption by filling right up and calculating the actual fuel used vs the actual km?

How do you drive? Are you on the limiter every chance you get dragging off every other motorist on the road at the Traffic Light GP?

For your consumption I'd do the 02 sensors first as they are really cheap for genuine ones off EBay or Summit racing, well cheap compared to a weeks fuel!

From there you can look at the other options above.

My car is getting around 11.5 - 12.0 driving like a normal person but was getting around 13.5 driving like I stole it, however that is 90% motorway driving

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Almost $200 a week on fuel? That's like 2 tanks worth. Has it been tuned? I'd imagine that might help your fuel cosumption a little.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
O2 sensors should be replaced around every 80,000-100,000kms as they become less efficient over time.

Any O2 sensor that is defective obviously needs to be replaced. But there may also be benefits to replacing the O2 sensor periodically for preventive maintenance. Replacing an aging O2 sensor that has become sluggish can restore peak fuel efficiency, minimize exhaust emissions and prolong the life of the converter.

Last edited:

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Block 'o' wood.
Cut to size and place under the accelerator pedal.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
you need start real fuel bowser recordings tank fill to tank fill and accurate km

forget what the electrics say for now ...

car drinks more fuel than a Russian peasant drinks vodka

thats what you get from using cheap booze

try .....vodka martini shaken not stirred

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Does the engine get up to temp?

IF it's running cold (faulty thermostat stuck open) or the engine temp sensor isn't working correctly than it will use more fuel.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Does my car simply need a tune to get it running efficient

No, tuning to fix problems is a bandaid fix that treats the symptoms and not the underlying causes. Car should always be running correctly before tuning.

What is your average speed from the trip computer?

INMYHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Clubsport
Does the engine get up to temp?

IF it's running cold (faulty thermostat stuck open) or the engine temp sensor isn't working correctly than it will use more fuel.

The temp gets to just below mid way on the temp gauge and pretty much just stays there.

That's normal operating temp right?