Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Commodore has been sitting for 3 years not started I'm getting petrol up to injections it has twin throttle body's and still won't start and as usr

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
But does the same apply for diesel?

I don't think so but it's susceptible to some sort of algea contamination if I'm not mistaken. I think there is an additive you can use to prevent that too.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
* bites nails in nervous anticipation *

I pity your nails, will need to leave some fuel for 3 years with a 4K video recording to capture the elusive information @shane_3800 seems to require.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I don't think so but it's susceptible to some sort of algea contamination if I'm not mistaken. I think there is an additive you can use to prevent that too.

Yea it's called diesel cetane booster and biocide. It smells like stink bugs.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If it’s been sitting for three years the fuel in the tank won’t be usable anymore as it’s been sitting for too long.

If the tank was filled a quarter or less while it’s been sitting I would fill the remainder of the tank with the highest octane fuel you can get (98 octane). If it had over a quarter of a tank in it I would add octane booster as well to bring up the octane of the remaining fuel as well.
New fuel may simply soften the old fuel which would have turned to gunk over the 3 years timeframe. So, adding new fuel and fuel system cleaner will simply softened gunk where it will move into the injectors and clogs them up (if they aren’t already clogged up that is)...

As is, I think the fuel manufacturers recommendation are not to store fuel within a vehicle for more than 6 weeks :eek:

After such time sitting in the tank, the safest and best approach is to drop the tank and clean it of all gunk and rust... same for the rest of the fuel system... Doing such seems like it will take longer but usually it’s the quickest way to approach the problem of very old fuel in the system.

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
New fuel may simply soften the old fuel which would have turned to gunk over the 3 years timeframe. So, adding new fuel and fuel system cleaner will simply softened gunk where it will move into the injectors and clogs them up (if they aren’t already clogged up that is)...

As is, I think the fuel manufacturers recommendation are not to store fuel within a vehicle for more than 6 weeks :eek:

After such time sitting in the tank, the safest and best approach is to drop the tank and clean it of all gunk and rust... same for the rest of the fuel system... Doing such seems like it will take longer but usually it’s the quickest way to approach the problem of very old fuel in the system.
Well yes, dumping the old fuel out and cleaning the whole system out would be the best option but it would be a pita dropping the fuel tank and pulling all the injectors out and cleaning them along with flushing the fuel lines.

Myself personally I would try and avoid doing all that bs (not least because I have a bad back) and do the fill with high octane fuel and try and start. If your injectors are clogged then they are clogged and you have to pull it all apart but why go through that if you don’t have to?

Old fuel isn’t going to damage the engine and refilling the tank with high quality fuel is going to see the pump sucking decent quality fuel from the outset so you really don’t have anything to lose.

If the tank is more than half full of old fuel though, your boned and you’ll have to dump and pump (new fuel).

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Not if fuel stabilizer was used.

Even then, fuel stabiliser generally only does the job for up to 12mths or so.

After three years, it’s a tank off job. Drain, clean and reinstall with a new fuel filter (and maybe new pump to be safe). Then 98 fuel with a quality fuel system flushing agent to (hopefully) clean the lines/rail and injectors.

Last edited:

Stubs81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5L Berlina Wagon
My Commodore has been sitting for 3 years not started trued to start I'm getting petrol up to injection twin throttle bodys but won't fire up any advise plz

How old is the fuel? If its been sitting there for 3yrs also, its prolly fouled.

Herbieone

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ Berlina
My Commodore has been sitting for 3 years not started trued to start I'm getting petrol up to injection twin throttle bodys but won't fire up any advise plz
It is possible your ECM has lost it's memory and does not know what it is (i'm not being smart). I suggest you connect everything up and turn the ignition on for at least 2 hours without cranking the engine. Gradually the various sensors will start to reconnect with the ECM as it regains its memory. Once it does fire and start it will run rough until the sensors start to report back as to what they are doing. It should start to run OK after about 15 mins once coolant temp, oxy, crank angle, MAP etc retune the engine. Good luck.