Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Commodore has been sitting for 3 years not started I'm getting petrol up to injections it has twin throttle body's and still won't start and as usr

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
factory ecu doesn't lose its memory
fuel trims would have reset, to factory default
but it hasnt been confirmed if this car is running a haltech ecu
op has not been back since monday, so either fixed it or forgot about us

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
It is possible your ECM has lost it's memory and does not know what it is (i'm not being smart). I suggest you connect everything up and turn the ignition on for at least 2 hours without cranking the engine. Gradually the various sensors will start to reconnect with the ECM as it regains its memory.

And then this happens next

wp-1572709087003.jpg

Bearded11111

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore
My Commodore has been sitting for 3 years not started trued to start I'm getting petrol up to injection twin throttle bodys but won't fire up any advise plz
It is more than likely the distributor needs replacing, or coil

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I can't see anywhere in this thread if it is V6 or V8 ?
Tried "Start Ya Bastard" or other aerosol sprayed into the intake when trying to start ?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It is possible your ECM has lost it's memory and does not know what it is (i'm not being smart). I suggest you connect everything up and turn the ignition on for at least 2 hours without cranking the engine. Gradually the various sensors will start to reconnect with the ECM as it regains its memory. Once it does fire and start it will run rough until the sensors start to report back as to what they are doing. It should start to run OK after about 15 mins once coolant temp, oxy, crank angle, MAP etc retune the engine. Good luck.
I would be curious to know how this occurs. Seems more like urban myth.

The ECM can’t be reset by disconnecting batteries or standing on one leg during a full moon for 39 seconds.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The ECM can’t be reset by disconnecting batteries or standing on one leg during a full moon for 39 seconds.
I can reset my PCM, just by pulling the fuse. I've done it six or seven times in the last week.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I can reset my PCM, just by pulling the fuse. I've done it six or seven times in the last week.
Cutting the power on a 5 litre ECM certainly clears any codes. I don't know if it sets all the adaptive learning parameters back to factory?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I don't think mine goes back to factory settings. My shifts have been playing up and going into limp mode. Pulling the fuse resets something as it comes good after that. I might have misunderstood what Fu was saying now I reread his post.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Yeah I don't think mine goes back to factory settings. My shifts have been playing up and going into limp mode. Pulling the fuse resets something as it comes good after that. I might have misunderstood what Fu was saying now I reread his post.
On a VQ the BCM goes back to factory settings after pulling the fuse- doesn't affect the VQ shifts because they're mechanical, but , on the other hand, I don't think the 5 litre ECM resets.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
All the ECU/PCM's will reset if you leave them powered down long enough. But you're only loosing the fuel trims and any set fault codes and IAC settings.