Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My dials are all beginning to fail

VNS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 Executive Berlina A4
*EDIT* Found a thread where it shows me how to fix the odometer, still left with the other questions

Hey guys,

I own a 89 S1 VN A4 Berlina, which has about 300000k's, Had it for about 8 months now with a lot of fun, drove it all the way to Cooktown - Normanton and back to Brissie through the outback without any real trouble except for the odometer stopping at 278000 kms(!) I've done about 20Kk more now, but it doesn't show. Now the temperature gauge pretty much stopped aswell, after the rev counter already stopped working and the fuel gauge stopped about 3 months ago.

This is pretty annoying, no fuel gauge and no day trip lol.

The only thing that works is the speedomoter (thank god).

Also, some trips is shows the engine light, some it doesn't. When it shows the engine feels lazy and sluggish, when it doesn't (about 50/50) it feels like a comet, much faster than it should be actually, it does 0-60 in like 3 sec with burning rubber (no kiddin).

Well a few probs, but overall I'm happy with car, I love the torque and comfort, I don't like these little issues, I know it's an old car, but had a 97 Falcon before (I ran it in a Roo) which had none of it.

Cheers guys!!

Last edited:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The issues with the cluster will be in the voltage regulator for sure. Take the clauster out and remove the speedo and LHS gauge. This will give access to the VR - unclip it and solder up all the cracked solder joints - you may have upto 5 or 6 with the issues your having.

VNS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok that sounds doable, is there a thread maybe that explains issues like these?

What about the engine light and less power? I wanna do a test somewhere, but don't wanna go to the Holden dealer and pay $50

Cheers mate

VNS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's awesome, thanks for the help!

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
That's awesome, thanks for the help!

No problems - I've fixed a few clusters now and this just about works every time.

If the tacho still plays up (VN units are dodgy as) you can fit anything from a VP to VS L2 gauge sets to your cluster and they will work much better. But solder up the voltage reg first up.