Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My door and boot lock do not work but the lock/unlock button on my key does

Vscommodore677

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore executive
So I cant unlock/lock my 96 VS executive manually by turning the key in the lock. It just does not turn (same for the boot). Yet I can control the locking from the key.

Any help would be well appreciated.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
So I cant unlock/lock my 96 VS executive manually by turning the key in the lock. It just does not turn (same for the boot). Yet I can control the locking from the key.

Any help would be well appreciated.

is it a case of turning the key the other way. Also try putting a spray lubricant in the keyhole and see if it works

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Nah lol and I sprayed wd40 in the keyhole

I said that because my ute key locks with key in 1 direction and second movement in same direction sets the immobilisor and turning the other way unlocks but sometimes doesn't want to work without a bit of wriggling on the key a few times and wd40 helped.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Door key may be different from ignition key ?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Go to Holden and they will be able to give you the key code on original locks via your vin number, then have a locksmith change the barrel in the ignition to fit the original key once they cut you a new key, ps as long as they have that key code cutter machine.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I'd say that the ignition barrel at some stage suffered from the inherent failure and as such someone has merely changed the barrel to a second hand unit from the wreckers along with the key blade that operates it. They then placed the original key head onto the newly acquired secondhand key blade and instantly the issue was solved, only this left the door and boot locks inoperable with that replaced ignition blade and you were never given the original blade that suits the boot and door locks.

So as Trevor has suggested above, phone a Holden dealer that's close to you and give them the VIN number and they'll be able to look up the original key number so that you can get one cut up by any reputable key cutting service as you really don't need the services of a fully blown Locksmith that's going to ream your pockets out. This way you can obtain a key head off eBay cheaply and then have two keys that operate everything.

Alternatively you can have the ignition barrel re-coded to the original key number and get the a key cut at the same time and then just change the key head back and you'll have one key just like it was originally. I guess it all depends on the amount of cash you want to throw at it and what end result you wish to obtain.

Cheers,
VSL

PS. The Glove box key is totally different to the normal keys supplied with the car from new. That runs it's own key number altogether. Those numbers are no longer available via Holden as they lost them all in a software change some years ago and they never added all older vehicle information manually into their new database, just ECU Security numbers and Ignition Key number along with Radio PIN.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Can confirm you may have a different key for lock and ignition.

My ignition barrel got replaced but the door key is still the old one.
So on the keyring it has the one for the ignition with the fob and just the door one on there without the fob (as really its only ever going to be used occasionally).

In all honesty it comes down to a cost factor. if you can get the original number (which from memory may be in the books, if you have all the original paperwork) and a key cut for the door it may be the cheapest and simplest way to go about it.
But it all depends on how much itll annoy you and or youll want to spend.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I thought all that was pretty much what I said in the prior post.................sounds like history repeating ???