* Rotate the engine until the timing mark on the harmonic balancer lines up with the TDC mark on the timing chain cover.
* Fit the distributor noting the location of the rotor button in relation to the spark lead posts on the cap.
* Fit spark lead 1 to the post the rotor button is pointing to
* Rotate the engine clock wise and note which direction the rotor button rotates.
* Fit the remaining leads around the cap as per the firing order which is cast into the intake manifold. The forward most cylinder on the right hand side of the car is cylinder 1. The forward most cylinder on the left side is cylinder 2 and so on.
* leave the locking screw on the distributor loose and start the engine. You may have to rotate the distributor in either direction to get the car to start.
* If the engine won't start the distributor may be 180 degrees out. If that is the case simply rotate the sparkleads 180 degrees around the cap.
* Once the engine starts you will have to connect a timing light to cylinder 1 and set the timing to 8-10 deg BTDC.
* To do this, disconnect the vacuum advance line.
*Mark the timing mark on the harmonic balancer and timing case with white paint.
* Start the motor and let it idol, point the timing light at the timing marks.
*Rotate the distributor until the timing marks line up.
* Stop the motor and lock the lockbolt on the distributor.