Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY F****n car wont fire

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

tigervh

SS.....smokin....!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tiger Mica EFI VH, VZ SS, XC Barina SRI
if you are 180 out, rotating the spark leads around the cap wont do it. you gotta pull out the dizzy and spin the rotor.

Rotating the plug leads 180 certainly does work! While pulling the distributer out and rotating the shaft will work too. Two differnt ways to skin a cat. I know which is easier.

vh2nv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
i get it all in place how its suppose to be and it just doesnt fire

tigervh

SS.....smokin....!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tiger Mica EFI VH, VZ SS, XC Barina SRI
Do you understand what I mean about it being 180deg out?

When the timing marks line up Cyl 1 can be in one of two positions. The first being at TDC on the power stroke, the second being TDC on the intake stroke. There is no easy way to tell which position it is in. If Cyl1 is on the intake stroke when the timing is set up it will not fire.

A simple fix is to rotate the spark leads 180deg around the distributor. Contrary to what ari666 said, this method works fine.

Have you checked to see if there actually is any spark? You can use a timing light to do this.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
lol, cant believe you started 4 threads all about the same thing.

so how did it go? i should of asked if you went from points to hei, cos if you have a VK type dizzy, they will already have a non ballist coil so you wont need to upgrade. its easy to check. if there is a little silver cylinder thing with a black wire attached to the coil via a bracket and to the neg - terminal, then you will need a new coil HEC715 i a good-un and 60 bucks from bursons.

sorry tigerVH, you are dead right about moving the plugs, i have just never done it that way.

i still think you should go back to square one though. take out the dizzy completely. its only one bolt so it isnt hard to do. spin the dizzy rotor around so it is pointing to 3 oclock and drop it in. it will slide back to around 2 oclock due to the teeth and cam gear engaging but that is where you want it on a holden V8. (dont do up the bolt just yet)

number one on the dizzy will now be where the little tab is that locks your dizzy onto the cap, refit all your leads clockwise, 1-2-7-8-4-5-6-3 (thanks wikipedia) then fire it up. you will need a mate to crank it while you hold the timing light to see where she is firing. if the light flashes and there is no mark within 60 degrees either way then more than likely you are 180 out.

rotate the crank to where your TDC WAS, then go a further 360 degrees, pop off the cap, slide out the dizzy and reset the rotor to 3 oclock and slide back in and retry cranking it.

this is the easiest way i have found. i hate taking off spark plug leads, cos my current ones are a bit naff and sometimes the cable comes out when you pull it which means another 20 mins of f'ing around getting the plug back on.

let us know how it goes ey ;)

350SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SS 5.7
hey if you fing it has spark then try your fuel filter i just had a problem with my vk not firing and it ended up being my fuel filter sucking air

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
lol i had the same problem when i did the head gaskets on my 308. It had been weeks, i had fuel, spark, starter was working, new battery ect but no fire. I tried rotating the dizzy 180 deg but no fire, tried it again no fire. I was at wits end until someone on here someone gave me an awesome trick to make sure u nail the timing.

Take no.1 spark plug off and get a spare pushrod (or something that is long and not rough on the end so u dont scratch the cylinder). Now rotate the motor by hand and wait for the pushrod to rise to its highest point and a tiny little bit further (i mean a tiny bit so the power of the spark and fuel is sending the piston down and not into itself). Put the rotor button onto no 1 on the dizzy cap, whack the plug back in and see if it starts. If not? then rotate the cap exactly 180 deg and i can just about guarantee that it will start. worked for me after 2 weeks of fussing around.