Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My First Car

J

JEZ088

shift kit

Can anyone tell me what this shift kit is? I'm really keen to try it out.

ok the go with the shift kit is that it increases the pressure in the transmission resulting in harder and faster shifts due to less slippage between gears.. this lack of slippage increases the life of the transmission but the harder changes may decrease the life of some aspects of the driveline, a price well worth paying IMO..
now coz u have a VR u will have the 4L60E transmission same as me.. i picked up the kit for $80 from my local aftermarket dealer and fitted it myself in just a few hours.. the job isnt easy by any means especially when installing the kit while the car is sitting on jack stands about an inch above ur face, but in saying that if u take ur time and check everything twice it isnt a difficult job either, i bought the B&M Shift Improver Kit and this came with detailed instructions which makes everything a little less daunting.. u dont need a great knowledge of transmissions to fit one either, im only 18 and had never seen the inside of a transmission before but still managed it alright haha..
to install it u wil need to drain all of the transmission fluid, remove the transmission pan and all of the old gasket, then disconnect and remove all of the wiring harnesses that are in the transmision (be careful not to brake any of the switch housings as they are brittle and i broke 3 of mine haha:p ) u will then have to remove the oil pump assembly i think it is and drain the fluid that is above this.. BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO LOSE ANY CHECKBALLS!!! and if possible take note of where they are supposed to sit.. the kit wil come with a few bits and pieces like springs and rods that u will need to insert into the oil pump assembly and accumulators and u will need to redrill 2 holes in the separator plate but everything is explained in detail in the instructions that will come with the product.. then it is a matter of replacing everything in the same fashion that u took it off, replacing the filter and n gasket and then refilling the transmission with clean fluid..
however in saying all this if u are not at all confident about the job or do not want ur car to be off the road for very long then do not hesitate to get it installed professionally, the only reason i did mine myself was because i love DIY and have a passion for working on cars, to prove a point to my dad and brother, and furthermore to save myself a couple of hundred dollars that i simply dont have haha.. but a transmission is not something to fool around with so make sure everythng is done right the first time coz once the job is finished and everything is put back together u dont wanna have to take ur transmission apart again to fix anything haha..

oh and by the way with the shift kit u have a choice of whether u want a stage one (generally for towing or heavy vehicles) or stage 2 (street/strip performance) installation.. in my opinion there is really no choice and stage 2 is the way to go.. u wont get the "neck snapping" gear change from first to second that everyone talks about but u will notice quite a difference, and as mentioned earlier in your thread they can be some real fun in the wet and in the dry:D im proud to say that my VR chirps from first to second haha well around corners anyway:p

feel free to correct me on anything guys as im just doing this off the top of my head and am attempting not to get into any real details as i dont want to mislead anyone on anything!!

goodluck with the VR mate looks like u have a good stocker and cant wait to see what u do to it in the future! and i gotta praise ur choice of getting a VR for a first car haha welcome to the club:thumbsup:

anyway i hope that in my rambling i may have cleared smething up for u :coolpimp:

Infest

Reaction score
Thanks for that man.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with customizing the interior. Mainly the dash as it's quite plain. Anything I can do to spice it up a bit?

Cheers.

(Post or link pics of your own)

Infest

Reaction score
Also, JEZ088, I checked out your ride and was wonderign whether you cleaned your engine bay up a bit? Mine is a bit dull and was wondering what you have planned or have done to it.

Cheers.

J

JEZ088

no worries champ..

i havent done anything to customise my interior but u have a number of options really.. u can get some vinyl dye and change the colour scheme around or u can smooth parts of the dash and then prep and paint them.. u can modify sections trough fibreglassing to include gauges.. u can get ur entire interior done professionally..

for cheap mods id go wih the dye and possibly rig up an embroidered roof lining? the choice is urs and there are plent of different options

J

JEZ088

nah i havent cleaned it up just the occasional wipedown with a chux to keep it looking atleast kinda attractive haha.. i havent relocated anyhing like the washer bottles and i havent hidden any wiring, only thing that is diferent in my engine bay is the cold air intake as far as i can think.. i tink it just helps that my car has a dark paintjob and there for it doesnt show the wiring and bits and pieces up as much:confused:

i did give the engine and bay a good coating with degreaser and a spraydown last time i washed her tho and the photos i have on ehre were taken later that day so i spose that is why it looks clean haha

Infest

Reaction score
Oh ok cool. I am going to repaint the numbers on top of the motor. Well my dad is as he's the painter. Just going to tidy a few things up.

Currently studying for my Learners, that's where I'm going this afternoon. Good luck to me. I'm so nervous, I have no idea what the test is like. I'm just doing the RACQ one lol.

J

JEZ088

learners test is easy champ just dont be nervous and feel free to take ur time.. its al basics really.. i got my green p's the other week.. well goodluck with your l's:thumbsup: im sure u'll be right.. make sure u post how u go..

yeh with the engine repainting the 3800 numbers will freshen it up just make sure u prep it all nicely before hand like degrease it all prepsol it and everything make the surface as clean as possible and use heat resistant paint otherwise all ur hardwork will go down the shitter..

ive been thinking about polishing my manifold but i need to by one of those dremel tool things to make the job easier.. i might start attempting to hide the wiring in my bay oon, my bor is an electrician and ive learnt a fair bit off him so its all good.. make sure u keep us all updated on everything u do to ur car and get plenty of pics.. there is nothing better then seeing a build in progress as it gives others ideas and shows ur creativity..

Infest

Reaction score
Getting the exhaust redone next Wednesday. Getting extractors + a tip.

The question I put forward is: what kind of tip should I get? Twin or single, if single what shape etc?

Infest

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I passed my learners as well. 30 out of 30.

J

JEZ088

congratulations on getting your l's mate..

as for an exhaust if u go single id get a nice big chromed oval shape.. or u can go double and get twin circular pipes or two d shaped pipes...