Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My First Holden, but a few issues

WgtnVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim 3.8L
hello everyone! I’m new here and I’ve just bought my first Holden Commodore Acclaim wagon. I love it and it’s so comfortable. But it hasn’t been registered or “wof”d in 2 years.
It needs new tires and the airbag light is on for a start, as well as serv error coming up on the lcd display on the cluster when I turn the car on. The other thing is rust and bog that has been used. On the roof a few small holes have been filled with bog and a few spots along the top of the passenger side. But the major one is in the passenger side inner wheel arch where a hole has made itself known.
Would it be a major to repair these and is the bog acceptable? Also would the hole in the wheel arch fail an inspection?

Attachments

• 0FB65E7C-DB97-4398-BD99-BC304DE8D4C6.jpeg
    0FB65E7C-DB97-4398-BD99-BC304DE8D4C6.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 3300C863-0AF0-47D5-BEEC-3E8116EEFD73.jpeg
    3300C863-0AF0-47D5-BEEC-3E8116EEFD73.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 1CA9664B-1074-46DE-9643-46DE52621501.jpeg
    1CA9664B-1074-46DE-9643-46DE52621501.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 157

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
wow a vx with rust, never seen that before.
The holes in the roof and above the door would be expensive to fix. You could try removing all the bog and then filling it yourself then painting over it but it would stand out. do they go all the way through? I wouldnt be surprised if it was 1000 bucks to fix those panels.

WgtnVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim 3.8L
wow a vx with rust, never seen that before.
The holes in the roof and above the door would be expensive to fix. You could try removing all the bog and then filling it yourself then painting over it but it would stand out. do they go all the way through? I wouldnt be surprised if it was 1000 bucks to fix those panels.

Would it fail in an inspection because of that rust?

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Would it fail in an inspection because of that rust?
In my opinion it does depend on who does the rwc. I wouldn't keep this car. But if you need to get out of the **** ,If you take the time to wire wheel the affected areas, treat the cleaned rusted issue with a rust nutraliser found at Bunnings or auto store, a metal filler or epoxy to fill a hole as it isn't water sensitive like body filler. A epoxy etch primer like rust kill 2 in 1 for any over rubbing/bare metal areas and you could choose a similar epoxy colour pre mix. This might cost you $1-200 + your time. I wouldn't suggest you spend bucks on this car as it would suit more a part car possibly. You could find a neat 1 for the money it costs to patch up this one considering other mechanicles it may need for a road worthy.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Typical surfers car.

The car sounds like a money pit. Could be looking at up to $3k to get it on the road. Smart option would be to cut your losses and walk away.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
The car sounds like a money pit. Could be looking at up to $3k to get it on the road. Smart option would be to cut your losses and walk away.

Agreed, punt it and grab something already registered if possible.

Beyond the rust issues..the airbag light could be a major problem and expense as well if the airbag/s are malfunctioning. I'm not in NZ but i'd hazard a guess that any airbag problem would put the brakes on a WOF from the word go.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
The holes in the roof and above the door would be expensive to fix. You could try removing all the bog and then filling it yourself then painting over it but it would stand out

Concentrate on the airbag light issue... and just a quick repair on the holes to stop them getting worse.

images