Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My first ( stupid ) oil change....

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
If you do a little search about the VY V6 you will see that they changed servicing intervals from the standard 10000km’s to 15000km's. This was done mainly because that’s what the opposition did. They changed the type of cam bearings and couple of little things including an increase in the oil capacity from 5L to 5.6L. This increase was achieved by the slightest increase in sump volume but also a dipstick with the full mark moved. If you compare a dipstick from a VS, VT, VX against a VY you will see that the VY full mark is higher on the stick. Meaning that the physical oil level can be higher in the Ecotech for VS, VT, VX, models then the full mark on their respective dipsticks. The total extra amount of oil if you where to use a VY dipstick would only be around 200ml.

Boiled down in a short answer you can put 5L of oil in at an oil change without a drama.

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
Hairy Eater said:
yea, I restarted the car when the oil was halfway ..... I was suprised also when the preasure got up quickly.....

Its also not a good idea to start the engine with only approx. 2.5 L of oil in it...

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
hi all,

i gotta do a change this weekend on the calais, as it's my first oil change on a 5L how much oil do i need to put in?

cheers all

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Put about 4 litres of oil in and then put it in slowly until you fill the dipstick perfectly..

Start the car and go for a 5 minute drive..

Then check your oil level again and fill it up with about 500ml more. The oil will sit ever so slightly above the dipstick after that..

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
heeno said:
hi all,

i gotta do a change this weekend on the calais, as it's my first oil change on a 5L how much oil do i need to put in?

cheers all

Oil capacity for a 5.0L V8 is 5.1 Litres:thumbsup:

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
WAGON MAN said:
Its also not a good idea to start the engine with only approx. 2.5 L of oil in it...
i think he meant halfway on the dipstick....

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
Shounak said:
Put about 4 litres of oil in and then put it in slowly until you fill the dipstick perfectly..

Start the car and go for a 5 minute drive..

Then check your oil level again and fill it up with about 500ml more. The oil will sit ever so slightly above the dipstick after that..
Shounak,it's an oil change,you just pour the whole 5lt bottle in,run the car for a short period afterwards,bob's your uncle.But in his case,he would need to shoot down to the servo for a 1lt bottle to top it up at regular intervals,there's your 5 min drive.

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
i found out how to cancel the flashing klm reading reminder.... does the next reminder come up later ?

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
So it's pretty easy to change the oil? I still haven't tried it yet!

I've got a VXII ecotec and the car has hit 10,000km since the last service - but I can't book it in for two weeks and I will probably drive another 1,500km's... all highway country km's though.

(From melbourne to bendigo, to benalla etc).

I've checked the oil and it's sitting exactly half way between the full and low mark, and it's still a honey colour... it almost looks new, if it was at the full mark anyway! I always use Magnatec these days.

Do I really, really need to change it, or can I just top it up?

I don't want to waste $30-$40 dollars on oil when it'll be changed again in a few weeks anyway...