Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My first ( stupid ) oil change....

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
did the first engine iol change in the VX since buying it today .... went to Autobarn, bought a filter and Shell Helex Ultra oil .... got the sump bung undone okay ( it wasnt very tight ) ... couldnt find my filter wrench but after a bit of grunting I got it undone by hand ... put the bung in again, then on with the new filter .... now got my favourite funnel ( this has to be the first car that I've ownwed that has a decent hole in the tappet cover for adding oil ).... put in just over half of the 5 liter bottle ... let it settle for a few minutes then checked the dip-stick... it was about halfway .... now my STUPID memory tells me that V6 Commie takes 5 liters with filter so I put in the whole 5 liters .... hmmmm dip-stick now about 1 inch over full .... I look up my handbook... wrong WRONG wrong .... book says "about 4.8 liters with filter " ... geeezzzz ... so I gets this bright idea that I'll drain out some oil by using 1\4 inch plastic tube that I have got ... not good, tube only goes down the dip-stick pipe about 6 inches then stops ... AHAA ... I got some 1\8 inch tube and it goes all the way in ... now I try to syphon some oil back into the oil bottle... well after about 3 or 4 hours, drop by drop I finally syphon out enough oil to drop the level back to the full mark ....

VTSick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais SC
Did you start the car to run the oil thru the filter before checking your dipstick? as the filter will take half a liter or more, If so would have been 2 minutes to remove half a litre by undoing the drain plug for a quick burst, lol well at least you tried

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
yea, I restarted the car when the oil was halfway ..... I was suprised also when the preasure got up quickly.....

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Oh well, the main things you learnt from it....Sorta....

Full marks for effort though!

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
Novice attempt,better luck next time.

V-ahhh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN/VT
sounds like a good first effort, least you know now:thumbsup:

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
Why try and syphon the oil out the top? Just drop some oil out form the sump plug.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
vztrt said:
Why try and syphon the oil out the top? Just drop some oil out form the sump plug.

I was thinking the same thing....

Always pre measure out your oil, saves the hassle later on. I just find it hard to believe that 5 litres put the oil an inch over the full mark, to me that says you have clagged oil int he bottom of your sump so the oil level is sitting higher, 200 ml wont do squat to your dipstick levels.

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
when I do my oil changes I use the entire 5 litres from the container,start her up and bingo the dipstick reading is right on the money.

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
satos said:
when I do my oil changes I use the entire 5 litres from the container,start her up and bingo the dipstick reading is right on the money.
I do the same,what's .2 of a litre.