Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Getrag'd 97 VS Executive

playful

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Executive
My 97 VS Executive 5 Speed

So I have had this car since Feb 2012. I paid a fair bit for it when I got it (a tad under 5k with 150,000 on the clock) from a guy about my age. Mechanically speaking the car is very good. The interior is also fantastic, and I am content with the price I bought it for! I want to keep it as clean as possible and see what happens when I get my full license.

Name: Daniel
Build Period: Bought the car Feb 2012 and mods began Early 2013. What little work has been done to the car has been done mostly by myself.

Model:
1997 VS Commodore Executive Series 2

Engine Type:
Ecotec 3.8L V6

Engine Mods:
L67 OTR Cold Air Induction
K&N Panel Filter

Exhaust:
Lukey resonator-less 2.5" Cat back

Power:
Untested

Gearbox:
Factory Getrag M35
Single-mass flywheel conversion
CI clutch kit

Diff:
TA Performance alloy diff girdle
ARP cradle studs
all new bearings and seals
cryo treated 3.08 gears
Lokka diff centre
all new thrust shims, pinions, roll pins.

Suspension:
Monroe GT Shocks with Ultra Low King Springs all round
Upper Nolathane spring insulators/seats
Nolathane Adjustable Panhard Rod

Wheels:
15x7 Interceptors
Genuine GM Centre Caps
Genuine GM Wheel Nuts

Brakes:
Front: Stock
Rear: DBA slotted rotors
Ferodo pads all round

Interior:
New Cigarette lighter assembly
48 SMD LED interior festoon
4 SMD Glovebox LED
4 SMD Boot light LED
New VT/VX OEM gear knob (slightly different to factory VS item)
New parcel shelf and speaker grilles
A/C, Hazard and Demister globes replaced with T3 Neo-Wedge LEDs
Full set of Black Venetians

Audio:
Clarion CZ500A headunit with concealed USB extension running behind the dash and into the glovebox (for iPod and USB connectivity)
2x Rockford Fosgate P165 3 ways
2x 6" Rockford Fosgate P16 Coaxial's
2x Rockford Fosgate P3S's in box (secured properly with straps)
400w Clarion 4 channel Clarion amp
420w Clarion monoblock
Dynamat used throughout (under parcel shelf, boot lid, door skins and door cards)

Exterior/Bodywork:
Calais Tail lights
Calais S2 grilles
'Ecotec V6' Badges removed
5 SMD Parker LEDs
5 SMD Number plate illumination LEDs
VT Clear Side repeaters
Rear boot lid garnish with a few coats of VHT Nightshade
HDT Aero Headlight Covers

Other Mods:
Roof liner professionally re trimmed in original colour
Engine cover painted Charcoal Grey
BT1 Sump Guard

Future Mods/To Do List:
buy a mint boot lid (then get colour matching and allignment, new boot lid hinges), calais boot lid carpet, sikaflex boot lid to prevent water entering, deaden boot lid with panel sealer and fresh dynamat, new slotted DBR Rotors, shorter 3.9 gears, billet products shifter, change amps to Rockford Fosgate items with higher power subs in the same box I have now (along with a full re-wire of the stereo)

If all this is finished by the end of my greens, I wouldn't mind a Lexus Starfire White closed door respray if I could comfortably afford it - not desperate though!

My ultimate dream would be an LS1 conversion, backed by a T56 of course!

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Nice unit mate. I would suggest that you avoid a mini-spool with a P-plate on the car, kinda obvious to the constabulary should you ever have to reverse parallel park and they're watching or hear it (oh and they'll be watching and listening, you have a magnet :)).

playful

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Executive
Bloody Hell mate. You didn't learn the first time ?

Unfortunately when I first got the car I drove and acted like a complete hoon, something I am not proud of at all.

April last year (first time) was for 85 in a 70
then in May last year was done for negligent driving (copper saw me sliding round a corner in the wet late one night)
Then last week was 99 in a 70

I did learn my lesson in terms of driving like a wanker, but I really wasn't thinking last week - I truly am embarrassed and annoyed at myself for doing it! lesson definitely learned this time round!

Nice unit mate. I would suggest that you avoid a mini-spool with a P-plate on the car, kinda obvious to the constabulary should you ever have to reverse parallel park and they're watching or hear it (oh and they'll be watching and listening, you have a magnet :)).

Thanks man! Yeah by Lokka I mean a detroit locker - one that locks under hard acceleration... it's not like a welded diff or minispool that'll make a heap of noise.

Surprisingly I don't really get pulled up too much any more - I'm careful about how/when I drive for the most part, since turning 18 a few days ago I will be going out on saturday nights instead of cruising around waiting to be defected ;)

But I know what you mean, red p's on a commodore is a police magnet by any means lol.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
I think maybe removing a few weights from that accelerator foot aye?

But to the point, beautiful VS! I'm keen to see more!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Unfortunately when I first got the car I drove and acted like a complete hoon, something I am not proud of at all.

April last year (first time) was for 85 in a 70
then in May last year was done for negligent driving (copper saw me sliding round a corner in the wet late one night)
Then last week was 99 in a 70

I did learn my lesson in terms of driving like a wanker, but I really wasn't thinking last week - I truly am embarrassed and annoyed at myself for doing it! lesson definitely learned this time round!

Good to hear.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Pretty good looking VS

playful

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Executive
Thanks guys!

here are a few more pics as some of you showed interest in

note what I was mentioning earlier about how the boot lid doesn't line up properly - whether this is the gas struts being worn, the hinges not lining up, or the actual lock sticking out I don't know. surely a panel beater could resolve this issue when I get a respray in the next 2 years or so? the colour matching for now doesn't bother me too much as my mates and I are really the only ones who notice it. It really looks a lot worse in the pictures than in person.

photo6_zps952fd1b8.jpg

photo4_zpsf4bfc92b.jpg

Here are some assorted pictures.
Subs (amps are sandwiched between the box and rear bench), and note the silver U-bolt thing at the bottom in the centre. somebody told me that this can cause the boot lid to stick up and not line up properly? If I got a new one could it help it sit more flush?
photo5_zps87309fc6.jpg

Engine bay (in need of a bit of a clean like the boot!)
photo3_zps83ac4496.jpg

Some interior shots, needs a good vacuum as you can see in some pics!

rearbench_zps9879fd53.jpg

photo5_zps5aa7e379.jpg

As you can see in one of the pictures above, the 6x9's are screwed onto the parcel shelf and holes were sawed out to make room for them. I am replacing them with 6 inch splits sometime in the future and a new parcel shelf so it just looks a lot cleaner and original on the inside

Today I also went out in anticipation of this and got a parcel shelf (with speaker grills still intact) in good condition. There are a few dog hairs on it but it'll clean up real nice. While I was at the wrecker's I also got a mint A/C button, as the grey paint had chipped off my old one and it didn't look pleasant (I'm very anal with these insignificant things) so I grabbed that too. All up cost me $25 so I can't complain about that! :yahoo:

Old button is in the cubby hole. New one is installed. I replaced both globes in the demister switch, and the globe in the hazard switch. I need to order new ones for the A/C one now so all three illuminate at night.
photo4_zps70fc649d.jpg

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Nice. I like that gear stick thingy in your console, what's it called again? Oh a manual :)

Can see what you mean re your boot lid. Looks like you just need to adjust the catch down 5mm, easy enough.