Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Guide: Caliper Painting EASY

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
looks good mate :)
would do it to mine but i got stockies lol

Brocko90

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SV6
Thanks for this write up mate, will be doing this to mine. Just need to pick my colour now.

Thanks again.

Damn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY12
Nice job, i'd do this on mine but I'm lazy, I probably do one and just go meh, that'll do and never get to the others...

jayden.2.2

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Berlina
Thanks for the write up mate, Anybody with nickel(silver) body color and black wheels done this? If so what color did you go with?

hotglueman68

Reaction score
Members Ride
Seies II VS Acclaim (red) Wagon
brake caliper painting

Hey Guys,

An easy and cheap mod that can really add to your car. This really is easy and if I can do it so can you.

IMG_0490.jpg

PLEASE NOTE I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY WHATSOEVER FOR ANY DAMAGE (INCLUDING DAMAGE ARISING FROM NEGLIGENCE) OR LOSS ARISING TO ANY PERSON OR VEHICLE FROM READING MY GUIDE TO WHAT I DID TO MY CAR.

MAKE SURE THE CAR IS SUPPORTED IN A SAFE AND SECURE WAY

Heres what I used:

- Masking Tape
- The daily paper
- Some degreaser or wheel cleaner
- A wire brush
- The brush of a dust pan ($1 Reject Shop)
- Some old clean rags
- VHT Brake Caliper Paint in your choice of colour (under $20 at Repco)
- VHT Clear Coat (optional)
- VHT Primer (optional)

Step One:

I parked my car on a flat surface on the street and jacked up the front side of the first front tyre. Jack up the vehicle and take the tyre off.

Step Two:

CLEAN! Make sure the brake caliper is clean by spraying on the degreaser/wheel cleaner all over the brake caliper. I used the wire brush to remove the bulk of the grit and grime. I the poured water all over it and took off most of the dirty grime. Spray the caliper again and repeat.

Then I used the dust pan brush to get off any remaining grime. Make sure the caliper is completely cleaned and rinsed before any painting begins.

Step Three:

Dry. Use the rags to dry the caliper and let it air for a little while until it is completely dry. This is very important.

Step Four:

Masking Up. This is VERY important as I did not want red specs all over my clean white pain to around my wheel arches, suspension , etc. To do this I used the Daily Telegraph to mask up (see picture). It is a good idea to get a page and slide it between the brake pad and disk. That way any paint will not get through any gaps in the caliper and pad.

I also used tape to tape up the gaps where you can see the brake pad through the caliper.

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

Step Five:

Paint! Following the directions on the back of the VHT Pain Can do a first light spray all over the caliper to get the colour on it. Make sure this layer is light as it gives the next few layers something to grab. I then let this layer dry for about 10 minutes then did another coat (a bit heavier) to the caliper. Keep repeating this a couple more times (i did four times in total).

For the final layer I did a heavier coat but be careful not to do much as it may cause drips in the paint. Use your judgement you will no when it is enough. I have never painted anything before but it seemed natural what to do.

Make sure all the layers (including the final layer) are applied within one hour (allowing 10 minutes to dry between each)

Step Six:

CAREFULLY Remove the masking from around the entire wheel arch and caliper. BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET PAINT ON ANYTHING YOU DONT WANT IT ON.

IMG_0495.jpg

Step Seven:

I let the paint dry for couple of hours and then took the car for a spin. I slowly warmed up the brakes with regular smooth braking that heated the calipers up. I drove around for half an hour and let the brakes heat up. This bakes the paint and chemically seals it.

Step Eight:

Looks sick.

IMG_0494.jpg

Tips:

- Use the drying time to clean up the wheel that is now not attached to the car. Get it nice and clean on both sides!
- There is an option to use VHT Primer and VHT Sealer if wanted but not required.
- Have some mates help with the job, it made it fun and handy to have a helping hand.

HOPE THIS HELPS!
I'm just about to do this to my VSs front rotors and calipers (in VHT yellow.. hope it's not gunna be a mistake! "Red Acclaim Wgn") and because the discs won't be on, it's real bastard being able to arrest the caliper without it hanging on the brake hose.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
you guys do realise there are only 2 bolts holding that caliper on, right???

how long did it take you to mask that area???

my guide:

remove caliper and pads
mask the brake hose
paint to your hearts content
drink beer till it dries
refit pads and calipers

geez, talk about over complicating an easy task

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

my guide:

remove caliper and pads
mask the brake hose
drink beer till it dries
refit pads and calipers

Totally agree.

Sent from here, so you can read it there. via iPhone.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline

my guide:

remove caliper and pads
mask the brake hose
drink beer till it dries
refit pads and calipers

Agreed, and might as well change the pads while your at it