Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Holden days are numbered

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
It’s a tough move.

I’m considering grabbing a very low K Redline at the end of the year but I’m not sure if buying a “near new” 3 year old car is smart.
Will it be a prehistoric fuel guzzler in 5 years time? They’re not super quick either.

Will there be a V8 RWD sedan alternative that’s not over 100k? Not sure.

Despite all this I can’t help but consider another Holden

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
It’s a tough move.

I’m considering grabbing a very low K Redline at the end of the year but I’m not sure if buying a “near new” 3 year old car is smart.
Will it be a prehistoric fuel guzzler in 5 years time? They’re not super quick either.

Will there be a V8 RWD sedan alternative that’s not over 100k? Not sure.

Despite all this I can’t help but consider another Holden

That is part and parcel with all older cars, it doesn't stop them from being cool to drive.

If you are just buying for cheap efficient transport there are most likely better options available, if you are buying it to have a nice performance car for it's period in time, then a 3 year old car that has already suffered it first outing of new car depreciation in value is probably a good way to go.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
That is part and parcel with all older cars, it doesn't stop them from being cool to drive.

If you are just buying for cheap efficient transport there are most likely better options available, if you are buying it to have a nice performance car for it's period in time, then a 3 year old car that has already suffered it first outing of new car depreciation in value is probably a good way to go.

The second one. Hopefully There’s a nice new aftermarket update for the myLink. Add a nice exhaust and tune and that should “modernize” it a bit :)

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The second one. Hopefully There’s a nice new aftermarket update for the myLink. Add a nice exhaust and tune and that should “modernize” it a bit :)

Buy one that's already been done, basic mods don't usually add much if anything to the sale price.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
If i had to buy another family car today it would be these:

Subaru Levorg 2.0T
Kia Stinger Turbo
Mazda 6 2.5T

In that order too..

I would never buy an SUV
Hate all of them....

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
If i had to buy another family car today it would be these:

Subaru Levorg 2.0T
Kia Stinger Turbo
Mazda 6 2.5T

In that order too..

I would never buy an SUV
Hate all of them....
A colleague at work bought the levorg at the same time I bought my Redline. After 3 months he swapped the levorg for Redline like mine. He couldn’t cope with the uncomfortable seats. We work on the field and drive quite a lot.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I think I’d full-well know that buying anything with a DSG was going to be a reliability nightmare, yet my better-half doesn’t do manual; then I’d test drive a Golf R wagon and all the niceness involved in all parts of it for the asking-price would override my common-sense.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Buy one that's already been done, basic mods don't usually add much if anything to the sale price.

True. By the end of the year most low K 2017’s should be under 50 so they’ll translate into a pretty good buy. It’s been 3 months since I sold the Calais and I already want another VF...

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Is Pavlou Motors still around? Did they move from George Street? I remember you could eat your lunch off the garage floor....He used to have some really nice cars in that workshop, playing round with

IMA been about 3 years since I went there, hence me asking the question...And sorry about the sidetrack

Yes, still going strong in George St. His workshop is like going to a car show with what he works on.

mbiondo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
My VF2 Redline is my first Holden and probably the last. Not because the Redline is a bad car and I would never buy a Holden again, but rather there is nothing in the Holden line up that is as exciting. The Camaro looks interesting, but too expensive at the moment with the whole RHD conversion and I need 4 doors for family duties. Its great having some V8 options with two doors, but unfortunately that makes them not an option for some of us who need the 4 doors. The KIA Stinger looks ok, but as a family car?? Not so sure.

So I'll keep the Redline :) Angry V8's won't be the norm in the future, but there will always be people that appreciate them. I for one don't daily the Redline, but rather save it for nice weekend drives with the family or the car club. And for that purpose, its perfect. Hell, it'll even tow a trailer when we go camping. Try doing that in a Stinger.