Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My HSV Clubsport

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It sounds like coolant being pumped around maybe... Only hear it on startup...
If it sounds like coolant is moving within the block or hvac radiator, I’d suggest you’ve got some air in the cooling system. As such it could be worth trying to bleed the air out.

You’d need a bleed kit and then use some revs to expel the air once the thermostat has opened.

1656291908006.jpeg

And in such cases, a link to Fu’s thread can’t go astray…

Of course, I could be way out and it’s something lease entirely, like the sound of air venting (a faulty tank purge solenoid, or whatever it’s called)…

P

Pauldw500

If it sounds like coolant is moving within the block or hvac radiator, I’d suggest you’ve got some air in the cooling system. As such it could be worth trying to bleed the air out.

You’d need a bleed kit and then use some revs to expel the air once the thermostat has opened.

View attachment 239322

And in such cases, a link to Fu’s thread can’t go astray…

[/URL]

Of course, I could be way out and it’s something lease entirely, like the sound of air venting (a faulty tank purge solenoid, or whatever it’s called)…
I'd put my money on that. I'll see if there's air and bleed according to Fu's post, just had a quick squiz, cheers...

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I'd say not enough coolant in the radiator when the system is cold.

P

Pauldw500

Ahhhhh well I'm losing some so would make sense. I need to get what I *think* is called a pressure test as I don't see any leaks, but am losing as I say. Not heaps and not quickly, but yeah am losing...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ahhhhh well I'm losing some so would make sense. I need to get what I *think* is called a pressure test as I don't see any leaks, but am losing as I say. Not heaps and not quickly, but yeah am losing...
Likely the heater pipes behind the heat shielding on the firewall. The factory clamps leak after a few years, it's really common and also unseen.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It’s a sealed system so as it cools it should draw in coolant from the overflow bottle.

If the overflow hose is split or the overflow bottle has a leak and can’t hold coolant at the cold level when the engine is cold, air can be drawn in.. If there are other leaks, air can be drawn in.

The main system will always contain the correct amount of coolant unless there is a fault somewhere, then air gets in…

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Expect to destroy the heat shield mat as they deteriorate from coolant. New ones can still be bought. I bought one last week.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
It’s a sealed system so as it cools it should draw in coolant from the overflow bottle.

If the overflow hose is split or the overflow bottle has a leak and can’t hold coolant at the cold level when the engine is cold, air can be drawn in.. If there are other leaks, air can be drawn in.

The main system will always contain the correct amount of coolant unless there is a fault somewhere, then air gets in…
Like a failed radiator cap that stops drawing colder water back in once the car cools down.