Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My HSV Clubsport

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah, it’s sad that people just don’t care and don’t want to learn how things should be done correctly… Too many are simply not good in their chosen fields..

Just keep that in mind when you next need surgery but don’t think too much about how someone like Dr. Jayant Patel can get the job he was given…

PS: if only I had the space and funds, my home workshop would be full of quality tools and equipment and I’d never see the inside of any other vehicle repair business :cool:

That Doc you posted up actually did throat surgery on someone I know....That person survived the surgery.....He has since passed on from throat cancer through no fault of Dr Patel....However I did hear a lot of bad stories about him

As for Torque wrenches.....A bit killer of them keeping their correct tension is making sure they are zeroed after every use.....I seriously doubt any that are used in the tyre industry are actually zeroed....Then you have them being calibrated....The shop I work at, the torque wrench has never been calibrated in the 10 years I've been there....Yet, I haven't seen or heard of a single complaint related to a wheel nut coming loose, or a rim being trucked as a result of the wheel nuts coming loose...

So that brings back to me laughing at people saying, wheel nuts must be torqued to the correct tension....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
That Doc you posted up actually did throat surgery on someone I know....That person survived the surgery.....He has since passed on from throat cancer through no fault of Dr Patel....However I did hear a lot of bad stories about him

As for Torque wrenches.....A bit killer of them keeping their correct tension is making sure they are zeroed after every use.....I seriously doubt any that are used in the tyre industry are actually zeroed....Then you have them being calibrated....The shop I work at, the torque wrench has never been calibrated in the 10 years I've been there....Yet, I haven't seen or heard of a single complaint related to a wheel nut coming loose, or a rim being trucked as a result of the wheel nuts coming loose...

So that brings back to me laughing at people saying, wheel nuts must be torqued to the correct tension....
Wow emoji because you know someone that was operated on by a convicted serial killer :eek: What’s the probability, until you factor in that 6 degrees of separation… Sounds like he was one of the lucky ones :cool:

As for torque wrenches, not all need to be zeroed (backed off to lowest torque setting) after every use. Beam type torque wrenches don’t and they only need calibration every 5000 cycles or once a year.

And recalibration isn’t rocket science as it can be DIY activity for anyone with 1/2 a brain though many business processes require certification which is a paid for service.

However, it’s a pity tyre shops don’t use the correct tools nor respect them. Luckily the redundancy of wheel studs along with the safety factor built into wheels studs & nuts ensure that even incompetent employees (that you sometimes seem to be frustrated with) can’t foobar things too much. That’s simply good engineering…

But that engineering safety factor doesn’t change the fact one should use the correct tool for the job. With wheel nuts, that is a torque wrench which should be looked after and periodically calibrated.

The fact you haven’t had someone return to complain about a loose wheel may simply be luck. Many simply will never complain as they find it easier to never do business with a shop that pooch screwed their wheel change…They don’t tell the business but do tell their friends…

Seems the pool of potential employees is full of people who just don’t care and that means a boss may not sack a worker when otherwise they would have. Just end up replacing one dick for another. What this highlights is it’s sad that attracting and retaining good staff is so difficult… I blame social media and poor education standards.

PS: W&B article on beam deflection torque wrench calibration.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Wow emoji because you know someone that was operated on by a convicted serial killer :eek: What’s the probability, until you factor in that 6 degrees of separation… Sounds like he was one of the lucky ones :cool:

As for torque wrenches, not all need to be zeroed (backed off to lowest torque setting) after every use. Beam type torque wrenches don’t and they only need calibration every 5000 cycles or once a year.

And recalibration isn’t rocket science as it can be DIY activity for anyone with 1/2 a brain though many business processes require certification which is a paid for service.

However, it’s a pity tyre shops don’t use the correct tools nor respect them. Luckily the redundancy of wheel studs along with the safety factor built into wheels studs & nuts ensure that even incompetent employees (that you sometimes seem to be frustrated with) can’t foobar things too much. That’s simply good engineering…

But that engineering safety factor doesn’t change the fact one should use the correct tool for the job. With wheel nuts, that is a torque wrench which should be looked after and periodically calibrated.

The fact you haven’t had someone return to complain about a loose wheel may simply be luck. Many simply will never complain as they find it easier to never do business with a shop that pooch screwed their wheel change…They don’t tell the business but do tell their friends…

Seems the pool of potential employees is full of people who just don’t care and that means a boss may not sack a worker when otherwise they would have. Just end up replacing one dick for another. What this highlights is it’s sad that attracting and retaining good staff is so difficult… I blame social media and poor education standards.

PS: W&B article on beam deflection torque wrench calibration.
[/URL]

It has only been in the last 20 or so years, torque wrenches have been the go to source of tightening wheel nuts, for the general public, to feel like the job has been done properly.....So the decades before that came about, everyone relied on the wheel brace to tighten the wheels and it was quite successful.

So I will continue to laugh at the torque wrench idea as the correct method to tighten wheel nuts, knowing full well exactly what happens to tyre shop ones and knowing a wheel brace will do the exact same job and probably better....And you should certainly invest in a tyre fitting machine and balancer, considering you won't trust a place that abuses their tools....

P

Pauldw500

Cars been fine, superfine and haven't changed anything.

I was wondering how many R8s were made and came across this...

Screenshot_20220821-103855_Samsung Internet.jpg

Can anyone confirm?

P

Pauldw500

Cars been fine, superfine and haven't changed anything.
BOOOOOM!!

Well, this is the first flooring of the car. Have definitely gave it a bit of stick of recent but this is the 2nd time, and 2nd time I've floored it..

Will change my throttle pedal as already advised and maybe.... dare I say it.... check the throttle body for fluid...

20220823_092158.jpg
20220823_092211.jpg
20220823_092222.jpg

Cleared code and fine. Gonna go give it another flooring...

P

Pauldw500

And currently stranded in a servo. Just about to pull away and bang... low power mode and now throwing this...

20220823_093335.jpg

WTF...