Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My HSV VZ Senator Barbados blue

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Whats with the 307 badge? Mines only a 297.. jealous and upset now :( lol

Well its like this, the VZ LS2 was advertised as 297kw using old dyno std, where as using the newer "din" std that is used these days , it is actually 305kw with stock cast iron exhaust headers fitted.
Ford has been using the din std for ages which explains why their cars with similar kw's were never as fast as similar Holdens.
Ok back on track, the VE LS2 is rated at 307kw using the newer din std and HSV extractors (instead of stock cast iron headers).
So I thought since my car has extractors and ballistic cats fitted it is definitely more of 307 than a 297.
Just to give it a little authenticity I affixed the VE LS2 307 plaque to the engine bay plus bought the 300 badge from the VT-VY GTS, removed the 29 from the car, removed the last 0 from the 300 badge and using the cardbord surround as a template fixed the 30 in front of my 7.
I also purchased a 297 badge for down the track in case I want to put the car back to std.
For an explanation of the kw figures go to the HSV website:
HSV | Holden Special Vehicles | Previous Models

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
June 2010 update:

Just purchased some brand new Koni sports rear shocks off a LS1 forum member and all I can say is they are great.
Nice smooth ride when on Soft setting and handling tightens up nicely when on Firm.
These Koni's replaced The New style Monroe GT Sports which also had a good ride with HSV Senator luxury springs but seemed too soft at speed on the highway.
The Monroes GT sports were designed to compliment Kings lowered springs so maybe with softer springs they are just too soft.
Anyway very happy with the Koni's.
I also have some KYB AGX adjustables to fit on the front that I got a while back but haven't had the time to fit and was going to get some matching KYB rears but these Koni's came up at a way better price than I could get the others at.
DSC057571600x1200.jpg

DSC057581600x1200.jpg

Cheers SW.

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
WOW......WOW.....WOW........
I had no idea this thread existed!!
What a sensational car, Very Very nice mate.
Great to see an awesome car being spoilt..lol...

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Oztrack dyno tune 289.4rwkw bolt ons only.

Just had Steve from Oztrack do a dyno touch mafless up tune to my VZ LS2 @ Race Solutions, Penrith, Sydney.
I'm very happy with the final figure of 289.4rwkw with bonnet closed and filter in place.
We got a few more ponies with the filter out but as I don't drive it without the filter I'll stick with the 289.
Also have to give credit to Steve for his "mail order mafless tune" as the car pulled 284rwkw on its first dyno run before Steve started playing with the fine tune.
The engine is all bolt ons with Dus OTR, 1.8 YT roller rockers, 25% under/drive balancer, Sureflow 1 3/4" HPC shorty extractors with 3" ballistic cats backed up by the std HSV catback and an Elite oil catch can to keep those nasty octane lowering oil fumes out of the intake.
Plus it is running std AC platinum plugs about 30k/klm old.
2010-06-17-1305-05_edited.jpg

Last edited:

VZHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
z
impressive result for a ls2 with boltons and an auto.
what exactly does the 25% under/drive balancer do for you?

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
impressive result for a ls2 with boltons and an auto.
what exactly does the 25% under/drive balancer do for you?

Thanks
The 25% underdrive balancer drives your "accessories" (alternator, water pump and power steer) at 25% reduced speed which in theory means the engine isn't using as much energy especially at higher revs to drive them.
Because LS engines rev so well in comparison to earlier holden V8's the reduced accessory speed isn't usually a problem.
I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the reduced speed.

cheers SW

VZHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
z
quick question did the headers make the car any louder??
im looking to make mine abit louder but not over the top loud.
thinking going a xforce twin 2.5 stainless catback or just changing the headers since the hsv system is twin 2.5 aswell.
only bad thing of the stock system is the big quiet resinator

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
quick question did the headers make the car any louder??
im looking to make mine abit louder but not over the top loud.
thinking going a xforce twin 2.5 stainless catback or just changing the headers since the hsv system is twin 2.5 aswell.
only bad thing of the stock system is the big quiet resinator

The extractors didn't really make much difference to the exhaust noise but the ballistic cats did and another plus for the cats is that the lite drone that is still evident even in HSV system is completely gone.
The VZ is a straight through system but in the rear resonator the pipes twist from vertical to horizontal but you can still push a garden hose easily through it.
The way HSV quietens the system is to continually keep making the system slightly smaller as it heads from front to back.
BTW between the stock exhaust manifolds and cats the the pipe reducers to 2 1/4" before exiting the cat at 3" into the 3" secondaries.
Between the 3" secondaries and the centre mufflers is 2 1/2", between the centre mufflers and the rear muffler is 2 1/4" and finally out the rear at 2 1/16".
The supposed 2 1/2" HSV tips are only 2 1/2" outside diameter.

supahot1!

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my10 SSV - My10 Prado grande - MY10 SR5 HiLux
you have just made me want to sell my calais and get a senator with th cream leather i just love it,.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
you have just made me want to sell my calais and get a senator with th cream leather i just love it,.

Thanks I love the interior.
I was originall looking for the grey interior because with playing with cars all the time.
I thought the cream leather might get a bit grubby but it looks much better than the grey and so far been able to keep it clean.
I bought this after owning a L67 wagon for 12 years and I have never regretted it, I still love every drive in it.