Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

my Kingswood.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
you have a brown wire off the back of the alternator to your dash, then the globe is earthed off the dash circuit. it lights up when ignition is on but its not charging. when its charging it switches off.

like dis:
BXH1232A.jpg

D+ is for the light

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Aha, I ran all that behind the inner guard, so I pulled it out and shortened it last night, didn't help, when I get home I'll check that, I Spose a test light would tell me if there is power leaving from that plug, if there is I'll trace it back.
I made up an alt bracket last night for the front, needs paint, but works

__/ ][ \__
~O-----O\

Don't ruin a good story with the truth.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
lol, soon as you put a test light on it, itll turn off :p cos' the test light will excite it. a cheat way of doing it is to fit a ceramic 10W 7 Ohm resistor on the D+ plug to earth. but having the light is handy in case there is ever an actual alternator fault.

your bulb might have popped too. they do that sometimes cos they are switching off/on each time you start the car. which reduces their life.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
lol, soon as you put a test light on it, itll turn off :p cos' the test light will excite it. a cheat way of doing it is to fit a ceramic 10W 7 Ohm resistor on the D+ plug to earth. but having the light is handy in case there is ever an actual alternator fault.

your bulb might have popped too. they do that sometimes cos they are switching off/on each time you start the car. which reduces their life.

I would've thought the test light would replicate the idiot light circuit, power from alt to light and earthed, turns off when charging.

Would a blown globe cause all this?

__/ ][ \__
~O-----O\

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
yes to both those things.

So I'm right in saying that a test light earthed to chassis should glow with ign on but engine off, and off when engine is on?
To which it doesn't.

__/ ][ \__
~O-----O\

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Ok, so blown globe it was, pain in the arse, now I have an issue where I turn the car off and the engine keeps running unless I take the power feed off the relay for the hei

__/ ][ \__
~O-----O\

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
The relay is latching on.
Use a relay with a diode across the coil. Or put a diode on the alt charge light the way the old holden boys do it otherwise the load of the hand break light should kill it.

HEI Conversion Wiring Instructions - Holdenpaedia

At some point I must've changed the power to relay and ignition to relay plugs over, swapped them and all good.

__/ ][ \__
~O-----O\

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Well the issue is now, light turns on when I turn the key, once it starts and idles, the light goes off, but the more the engine revs, the more the light comes on. im lost, I hate electronics and wiring.
But it's started and ran all night without problems,

__/ ][ \__
~O-----O\