Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My link extremely dim after accidentally pressing return to factory settings trying to unpair previous owners bluetoohed phones

wantd_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS S PACK
Hi all, just on the My link thread, I have just purchased a Manual 2015 vf sv6 and trying to pair my iPhone X via the Bluetooth option on mylink my wife pressed the return to factory settings button on the screen and the mylink immediately dimmed, before she pressed that button the screen was lit up like an Xmas tree.
Is their a way to get this brightness back ?? I have tried the control dimmer but the gauge lights are now bright and the screen is still quite dim.

Hope this is the right place to put this ?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Screen brightness setting ?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
MyLink screen brightness should be a setting within the configuration page, somwhere. But do note the brightness is also dependant on the sun sensor (the bump on the top middle of dash near the windscreen) and auto headlight setting and/or whether the headlights are on.

So change the brightness setting within MylLink (day & night setting?) and if that doesn’t fix the issue ensure the sun sensor is not covered and play with headlight settings...

Also note the dash brightness knob above your right knew may impacts the cluster and other gauge brightness but not the MyLink screen brightness. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if it could vary the MyLink screen a small amount around that set within MyLink config. So if you don’t quite get the brightness you’re after via config, set dash brightness knob to a level where the cluster is ok during the day and then try the config setting again.

Disclaimer: I haven’t read that part of the manual for quite a while so may be wrong on the settings... You could RTFM :p but where’s the fun in that :rolleyes: Welcome to VF ownership:cool:

Last edited:

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
o change the brightness setting within MylLink (day & night setting?) and if that doesn’t fix the issue ensure the sun sensor is not covered and play with headlight settings...

Day / Night / Automatic.
Select Automatic in the menu.
If Factory Reset has been done, as the OP has stated, I wonder if the software as a result of the reset defaults to its native first version? I truly would not use Factory Reset of MyLink except as a very, very last resort or under instruction (I really can't think of any reason off the top of my head for doing it).

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
I forgot to mention that it is absolutely not necessary to reset (to Factory settings) MyLink with unpairing unwanted Bluetooth connections. Simply delete them — the menu has that option available.

I think this is a case of not reading the owner's manual thoroughly enough to know what to do in specific circumstances. Also note that anything to do with Bluetooth connectivity must be done with the car parked. It will not allow changes while the car is running.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the factory reset in most cases would be to just remove bluetooth/nav/radio and user settings, it is a quick way to remove your data before you sell the vehicle and in most cases it should not cause issues.
it is also there because those settings are stored in non volatile memory and because of the way these portable systems are designed there is no recovery process so when saving data if it happens to get corrupted it can cause the device to stall on accessing the settings because of invalid data being read and the "factory reset" option just erases the memory and writes a generic set of values which would remove the corrupted data.

it is strange because you would think that the "automatic" setting would be the factory setting.

if someone does use factory reset it is good practice after the reset to go through the entire settings menu and set it how you like it so those settings are saved and do it all with the vehicle in park and the engine running.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
it is strange because you would think that the "automatic" setting would be the factory setting.

Well, it is. It was in mine. I set mine to Daylight so it doesn't go from normal to dim such as when going through the tunnels in Melbourne or stopping in the shadow of a bridge. That is extremely annoying when actively navigating, even though nav is also on the HUD display, so... lose some/gain some...

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Well, it is. It was in mine. I set mine to Daylight so it doesn't go from normal to dim such as when going through the tunnels in Melbourne or stopping in the shadow of a bridge. That is extremely annoying when actively navigating, even though nav is also on the HUD display, so... lose some/gain some...

speaking of check the dimmer switch isn't all the way down as well. not sure if that'd effect daylight use.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
speaking of check the dimmer switch isn't all the way down as well. not sure if that'd effect daylight use.

Hmmm. Well...from what I can see the dimmer affects the instrument cluster, while MyLink and the HUD (which has its own brightness control, but also auto-dims in daylight and strengthens at night) continues on its merry way. But it is my nature not to fiddle with controls (or the seat controls!) because of the frustration in getting things back to "just so" position!!

I would check the lens of the auto-brightness dome has not hazed over from gassing from the dashboard (just as the inside windscreen can haze), caused in turn from leaving the car parked in hot sun over an extended period.

All things else having been tried, take the babe to Holden — while they still have a pulse. Speaking of...Holden is dismantling signage here in Geelong. The large modern-era Holden branding on their new car showroom was removed , and this has revealed historic (c. 1970s vintage) Holden Torana signage! Toranas! Remember those toys?? I do. I lived with uni students in the 1980s at Carrum Downs with a V6 Torana. It was the fastest way to get to the railway station just 7 minutes away!
I'll try and get a photo of the vintage livery on the weekend.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
the dimmer will dim the mylink display (at night) as well but not the hud.