Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My link upgrade

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Interdasting, actually I think someone did already post a linky to it when it was announced (in July I think?).

I've just shot Alpine Australia an email asking about universality & cost of map upgrades, and also whether the HUD links in with the SatNav unit (it probably does, given how it integrates with other car functions, but I gots to ask). I feel a lot better spending $3.5k on an Alpine product than with a little guy that might disappear ...

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
I assume this doesn't include speakers etc. A lot of money to spend on a better looking head unit and maps compared to what already is in the Calais.

atomic_ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon S2
^Agree - just give us Android Auto/Apple Car play Jeez

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Expense yes. But it's probably amplified 2-3x the amount an oem headunit would be. No, it's not 100w plus like a stand alone amp would be, but you can deduct some coin from that purchase price for not having an amp to buy.
I think it's also got a degree of sound processing built in (could be wrong) again, probably not as good as a stand alone processor but it's another thing, like an amp that you don't need, on top of the head unit cost. That's assuming you really "need" either. Probably only if you running aftermarket speakers of any quality.
I think from memory you can skip on the DVD drive for $500 or so as well.
So when the OP on this forum mentioned it a few months back, my instant justification to add it to the list was $3000 (non dvd)-($500 to $1000 for amp) - $1000 (sound processor) to arrive at $1500 at worst for head unit. Then without rechecking specs I think it played flac, accepted front/rear and side cameras was an inch larger screen plus a couple of other things that made me think hell yeah!
Still a big investment though any which way you look at it.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
^Agree - just give us Android Auto/Apple Car play Jeez
The hardware for GM to do this does not exist, it would have to be the likes of Alpine who would create something exactly like the product linked above, except also with Android Auto / Apple Car Play as well ... ie. it'd be the same thing.

We do intend to keep our car for at least 10 years. We like it. We liked the VS enough to keep it ten years, and we like the VF more.
[After getting it back from the panel-beater last week I took it straight to the servo thinking they'd underinflated the tyres because the ride was so comfortable - turns out they were overinflated if anything, the ride just WAS comfortable compared to the soggy-handling rental Mirage!]
The maps will be soooo far out of date as to be annoying in even another 5 years, so I see this thing as a way to stop the car we like from getting out-of-date to the point of annoyance.
If you're buying $60k cars, $3.5k to keep a car even a year longer isn't that expensive if you compare to depreciation. :)

Last edited:

simins

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s pack
Some good points there I would definitely consider this but I'm only gonna keep my current vf for another 2 1/2 years so I don't see me invesnting in the product I got no say Nav anyway I and I get by fine would consider it in my next vf tho because I plan on keeping my next one I actually saw this at the moto ex show in Melbourne and it was pretty awesome

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just got an answer from Alpine customer support; it won't imtegrate with the HUD, and I have to admit, the HUD's integration with SatNav (both for directions and speed limits) is one of the really useful features we use.

Bring on the Holden map updates ...

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Just got an answer from Alpine customer support; it won't imtegrate with the HUD, and I have to admit, the HUD's integration with SatNav (both for directions and speed limits) is one of the really useful features we use.

Bring on the Holden map updates ...

All that work and it doesnt integrate with the HUD... wow..

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Does anyone think mylink has got slower with iOS10?

Both Bluetooth and plugging the phone in runs slow for music...