Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My long gone HK.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
This thread could evolve into old farts reminiscing about their old cars, so here is my contribution.

My first car in 1965 was a 1957 Mk2 Zephyr sedan, which I spent way too much money on, with a motor that had just about everything fit-able at the time to go fast.
Never mind the brakes and handling, not important ........... a true WOFTAM story of learning curves and dumb decisions.

I was a trainee RAAF techo at Laverton in 1967-68, and 2 of my mates had Holdens, a HR 4speed 186S, and a HK 4speed 186S. Both of which went like the clappers, and my hot Zephyr was able to stay with them on the Geelong road during late night ‘drives’.
I was also in love ……….. with a Warwick Yellow HK Monaro. I had gone along to a local Holden showroom when they were first released and made a wish that ‘one day’ …….. but the problem was I could not afford the insurance on a hire purchase sporty car. And a V8 was just way out my pay grade.
March 1969, the Zephyr’s gearbox ‘sort of’ broke, and a big decision was made.
And there was a way around the insurance problem, buy a Kingswood, and tick the option boxes.

Off to to Hartwig Holden, Wagga and ordered a Picardy Red HK Kingswood ………….
186S, (for the younger readers, that included 2 BBL Stromberg carb with better inlet manifold, headers, cam, and a stronger crankshaft, giving 145 BHP or about 108Kw, good stuff back then.)
All black interior, bucket seats, heater and radio,
4 speed, GTS style shifter and console.
Power assisted front disc brakes,
6 x14 rims, GTS wheel trims with red-wall bias-ply tyres,
GTS full width ‘tail-lights’
About $3,200 on the road, including 6cyl Kingswood insurance, less $200 trade-in on the Zephyr.

The handling was not initially terrific, which was mainly the fault of the square edged D70 tyres. They had less grip than a MichelinX in the wet and tramlined on the slightest ridge. Fixed with a set of ER70 Dunlop Aquajets, same as what was on the Falcon GTs.
Front and rear Kmac stabilizer bars, with Monroe shocks fixed the body roll and understeer.
After 12 months the warranty was up, so a set of solid pushrod lifters went in. These stopped the pump-up in the standard lifters, and combined with stronger valve springs, made 6,000rpm in the lower gears reachable. The down side was tappet rattle, which was fixed partly with light springs under the rockers, and regular adjustments.
Replaced the fan with a Davies Craig thermo fan.
Even fabricated my own version of a Falcon GT-type front spoiler, which I was convinced worked, because the car no longer wandered across the road when hit by the wall of air from an oncoming semi -trailer. (4 lane highways only existed in American movies back then)

It used to average 28 > 30 mpg on long trips, Wagga > Brisbane, Sydney > Brisbane.
A regular Richmond (SYD) > Williamtown (Newcastle) trip in 1972 usually took about 2.5 hours, and I was able to sit on 60mph all the way, leaving at 4am, no traffic, no cops with radar, no traffic lights, and no F3/M1.

I don’t remember how many miles it eventually covered, but in 1974, its time was up.
There was rust appearing in the front guards, all the doors, and behind the back wheels. Completely unacceptable now, but that was the way it was back then, a 5>6 year old car with rust was nothing unusual.
When it started blowing oily smoke, I discovered a badly scored #6 bore, and that was it.
Highly unlikely that it survived much longer after that, but if it did, it may be worth thousands of $$$$ now in the classic car inflated prices..

I was really sad to see it go. After sorting the handling, it had been a really nice long-distance touring car, which I thought a Torana SLR would be …………. but wasn’t, and that is another story which I have written here about.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
And therefore
Nice , also long gone my second car in 1980 , a 71 HT Monaro GTS = 186S = Manual and what a hoot = loved that thing.
A mate had a hk standard monaro = what got me hooked

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Fave car as kid was silver mink hk gts or 2nd choice warwick yellow...could never afford then ended up with baby version lc gtr..still got it!!!

ex-workmate had 11sec ht gts that I drove/worked on a few times...brought back those childhood dreams untill see how much they sell for now.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Not me, and not my HK. I blacked out the window frames and grille.
A timeless design now ?

1968 HK Holden

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yeah , my mate had a HK 186 he had painted in champagne gold. .
He ended up getting a HG 350 GTS .
This was back in the day when worth not much .
Haven't seen him in a lifetime = but wouldn't be surprised if the ( a hole , ha ha ha had one still now)!!!!!

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
i think I am well qualified to be called an old fart. After owning Vanguard cars and a Ute I moved onto An s type Jag and then a MK 2. Good cars but the parts are so dear. My first Holden was a HG Ute fitted with a 186. That didn't stay that way for long. I fitted a 308 with ported heads and a mild cam, extractors and a 3" exhaust. I then changed the front brakes to HQ. With 15" Camaro rims, Bridgestone tyres and Koni shocks it handled pretty good. Unfortunately I couldn't bring it across the ditch. If I had been able to I would still have it.

Boofey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS, HK GTS Monaro 307.
Bought a 1969 HK GTS 307 in 1974 and still have it. Cost $1,850. used. Great car brought all the kids home from hospital in it. Love that car its now a weekend cruiser.

Boofey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS, HK GTS Monaro 307.
Bought a 1969 HK GTS 307 in 1974 and still have it. Cost $1,850. used. Great car brought all the kids home from hospital in it. Love that car its now a weekend cruiser.
Hartwigs is still there figjam, pity about the Holdens.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I had a HG 186 it was a HOS........ Rust everywhere drivers floor was an old street sign, handled like a turd, boot and roof were painted with house paint using a roller.... Might have been ok if it was new.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I also had a 67 (I think) Capri, I loved it because it went like a bastard, it dragged everything else off the line around my home town. Flaming thing flew, but it too was a HOS, that had next to no brakes, it was defected by the local police, who didn't even go over it, he just got out the book one night and started writing in his defect pad..... I don't think he liked that me and some mates nearly rear-ended him at the site of a previous accident....