Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My new daily: VX SS

Discussion in 'VT - VX - VU - WH - V2' started by knighty92, Jan 31, 2014.

1. knighty92

knighty92 Member

Members Ride:
    SS
    Sorry, I missed this comment until now.
    Thanks for the kind words mate, they're tough looking cars! You should make a build thread too.
    Yeah, I really noticed the difference going from a Series 1 Stalk to a Series 2, feel a lot tighter and stronger. Ahh, that's good to hear that the handbrake goes in easy. I can't find a new complete one :/, only second hand ones which I may just settle with. I bought one recently but it turned out to be a cream colour, but in the pictures it looked black :L.

2. aussieakito

aussieakito Holden Dealer Master Tech

Members Ride:
    Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
    Looks good, Love black with red interior ;)

3. knighty92

knighty92 Member

Members Ride:
    SS
    Cheer mate :)

I'm hoping one day it can look as good as your VY :p

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  4. aussieakito

aussieakito Holden Dealer Master Tech

Members Ride:
    Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
    The vy is completely stock on the outside lol... for now

5. knighty92

knighty92 Member

Members Ride:
    SS
    Yeah, but it looks like it just rolled off the factory line, lol.

6. knighty92

knighty92 Member

Members Ride:
    SS
    Update!

I've added several things to her.

-Silver Air vent surroundings

-VY SS Pedal covers

-VZ SS Metal door handles

-New VY SS Floor mats

-New Genuine VX SS Headlights

-Re-lowered with Monroe GT Sports Shocks

-New Upper door air vent, in replacement of the broken one

Here's some photos:

Interior now
    [​IMG]

Headlight before installation
    [​IMG]

Installed Headlights:
    [​IMG]

Love the stance now that it's back to being lowered. I'll get some better shots tomorrow.

So far I've changed the oil several times, just to figure out which one it likes the best, seems to be Penrite 10w-40 Racing 10 Tenths. I've also changed the Transmission fluid, did that a few months ago. But recently I changed the Diff fluid. I wanted to change it for two reasons; 1) I have no idea when it was last changed, 2) I was hearing a low humming kind of noise from the rear when I would go over 80, recently it was getting worse and was noticeable around 60. So I changed it, the fluid was black and smelled burnt, so that wasn't a good sign. After I did that, I drove it around the block and the noise was still there, hadn't changed at all. I started to think it was one of the rear wheel bearings. Ended up taking it to the mechanics, he said it was the Diff. He offered to chuck in an additive 'Morries' I think. He said he did the same thing to another SS and it quietened it down. So i'll be going back there some time next week to get that done. I don't really mind a whole lot, simply because I have an excuse to change the gears ;).
    The new headlights look so much better than the old poor fitting, cloudy, peeling aftermarket ones. And previously, the car was lowered with the original shocks which made for a terrible ride. Now with the Monroe shocks in it's excellent. Just as good as stock it seems.

Anyway. Other than that it's been running strong!

Future plans are:

-New Front seat map pockets

-New VY SS Handbrake & Gearstick

-Fix gutter rash on 2 wheels

-Re tint to legal specs

-Paint those other damn calipers red!

-Dash-cam install

-Front bumper re-spray (stone chipped from the previous owner)

-Cut and Polish (I'll apply the wax/sealant myself)

-OTR and new Exhaust system

-Possibly a new Diff

7. uniacidz

uniacidz Harden the Frak Up

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    Nice work man

I also wish to get a dash cam myself, looking at a dual camera type for rear and front cameras, bout $67 or so from ebay, aussie seller.|

Good to see a nice black car going round as well.
    Love the interior on yours. You have done things nicely.

Red calipers, have a look at my thread mate, i did gold VHT paint and is a preference of mine for gold, as looks classier in my opinion.
    Red looks ok, and done to death by P-Platers i feel, and I wanted a colour that was different that also stood out but not as much and made you want to look again.

But yeh mate, coming along nicely.

8. kangavxss

kangavxss New Member

Members Ride:
    2002 VX SS
    Upgrades look good Knighty. With the diff, you may as well change the oil - use Penrite Progear (80/140 by memory?) It has an additive already in it.
    Cheers

9. knighty92

knighty92 Member

Members Ride:
    SS
    Mmm, I started to regret not getting a dual facing camera after I bought mine, aha.

Thanks mate, appreciate that!
    Yeah, I definitely agree with the overuse of red calipers, but they would tie my car together much better than anything else i'd say.

Thanks mate!

Mmm, I changed it using this:

Castrol SAF-XA Limited Slip Rear Axle Oil - 80W-140, 1 Litre - Supercheap Auto Australia

but the one at SCA was actually a newer one, in replacement of that one. It was labelled as a replacement, but never mentioned if it included the additive in it, like it's predecessor did. The noise is practically the same as it was before though.

I'm looking at just getting a new one installed to be honest: Eaton True Trac M80 VT VX VY VZ Holden Commodore HSV Detroit Trutrac Diff Locker | eBay

10. Towcar

Towcar Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina Wagon
    Old thread but wondering if you tracked down the rattle you mentioned when you got the car?

11. Towcar

Towcar Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina Wagon
    Double post

12. knighty92

knighty92 Member

Members Ride:
    SS
    No, sorry. It's still there. I believe it's coming from the transmission now, only really happens when 1st or 2nd kicks in, makes a grinding noise :L.

13. Towcar

Towcar Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina Wagon
    Sweet as, I have a metallic rattly sound coming from the front drivers side but only under very low load and lowish RPM does it sound familiar?

14. knighty92

knighty92 Member

Members Ride:
    SS
    Honestly not sure man, sorry.

UPDATE

Bought a new front bumper from Ebay because the current one isn't lined up properly. Also, bought some new rims; 20" G8's in gloss black. The current rims have a fair bit of gutter rash and it seems like the powder coating is flaking. Need to get the rear springs changed for ones which are a bit lower and the rear guards rolled before I chuck them on too. Bought a pair of Sway bar link rods, and front stabilizer bushes which i'm going to install tomorrow. Current ones are probably worn considering they've more than likely never been changed.

Here's some photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, anybody know why the tyre is sitting on the rim like this:

[​IMG]

There's a fairly big gap between the wall of the tyre and the rim. Incorrect tyre, or?

15. kangavxss

kangavxss New Member

Members Ride:
    2002 VX SS
    Hard to see on my phone but What is the width of that rim? If it's 9.5 wide a 245 tyre would be stretched and can look like that I think..R they your old rims?
    Nice goodies you picked up there.

16. knighty92

knighty92 Member

Members Ride:
    SS
    Sorry for the late a reply man! I'm honestly not sure what size the rim is (got them with the car), but they do seem fairly wide. The car is nearly standard height at the back but they clip the inner lip of the guard, so they'll need to be rolled it seems.

Got a bit of an update!

Installed a new head unit (Pioneer AVH-X5700DAB) today and replaced the console compartment door:

[​IMG]

Also bought a Tru Trac diff centre with 3.7 gears too (forgot to add this to the last update. still not installed yet though):

[​IMG]

Only bought them cause the diff is whining pretty bad. My mechanic has told me it's the bearings, so i thought i might as well get it done with an upgrade!

17. kangavxss

kangavxss New Member

Members Ride:
    2002 VX SS
    Your old rims might be 9 inch or wider and have an incorrect offset which pushes the wheel/ tyre out closer to the guard but your new wheels should fit fine if they are Holden made for Commodores or replicas as normally the offset would suit. I bought some new 20 inch x8.5 versus enduros recently ( page 1 of my ride build link)and the offset and extra width pushed 3mm more outwards towards the guard compared to my old ssv 19x8 thunders but they still clear the guard lip with no rolling.
    Good choice with the 3.7 gears, they will wake up the car for sure. Is your new stereo a DVDs player also? Was wanting to upgrade my single din non dvd one..Looks like yours fits nice.

18. knighty92

knighty92 Member

Members Ride:
    SS
    Yeah, that would be the case. I think i'm gonna get rid of the G8's unfortunately. They don't seem like they would clear the current height and i don't want to pay more on the suspension at this point :L, and the price of a 20inch tyre, i've heard they're expensive. Looking at buying some 19inch SSV Rims, which should fit straight on, hopefully i can pick a set up which are already pre ve-drilled. I like the idea of having 2 sets of different coloured rims, whenever i get bored of the MOMO's i'll chuck the SSV's on. I need to get the MOMO's resprayed though, they've got a fair bit of gutter rash, as i've said earlier. Hoping the gears will help. I was considering 3.9's but i do a bit of highway driving everyday and i don't really want the RPM's being too high while on it.

I believe it's a DVD player too BUT, it's got some restrictions. I've never installed a head unit before, so i kinda rushed it this time.. Left out a few things, the main on being the handbrake sensor. So, now i can't watch any movies via USB (running a cord into the glove box) because the h/u think the car is always moving and it deems it a safety risk to watch it while driving. I haven't tried using a DVD though, only through my phone's USB. It's annoying, but i doubt i would ever use it to play anything like that anyway, i can still play songs through the phone and charge it. The fit doesn't look too bad, a bit crooked, but oh well. I got a mounting kit off of ebay with an ISO adapter cable which worked fine, didn't really go in right though, i think the h/u is quite big so it was a really tight fit. Didn't fit the bluetooth microphone though, had no idea how to run it up the a pillar, may go back at some point and add it if it's too annoying without one.

Apart from that, the h/u is great. Exactly what i wanted; Pandora works great through the Bluetooth which has good quality, there's a ton of EQ settings, it's digital radio and GPS ready and has the option to have a backup camera too.

19. kangavxss

kangavxss New Member

Members Ride:
    2002 VX SS
    If your g8 wheels are 8.5 wide with an offset of 45ish with 245 wide /30 profile then they should be fine even better if they are 8 inch wide..ATR sport 2 20 inch tyres in that profile are only about $130 each and they are pretty reasonable for the price..only thing is they are directional tread so you can only rotate them front to back and not left to right..got them on my new rims and no complaints so far..Yeah but SSV 19eens with 245/35/19 will fit no problems but centre bore needs a bit of drilling as you know..
    Gears..on my auto box at 100kms/ph the taco sits on 2200 with 3.7 gears so you could have gone with 3.9 gears in a six speed manual and it would still sit below that I reckon but 3.7 is still an improvement..
    Most head units with dvd need to be wired to the handbrake switch for safety so you will have to do that to watch dvd's when stationary..There's a bypass kit you can buy but wouldn't want to watch movies while driving anyway..Like that ur unit supports android phones so that's a bonus..

20. knighty92

knighty92 Member

Members Ride:
    SS
    [​IMG]

Picked up a Karcher last weekend, the snow foam arrived today :)

New Genuine Gear stick & Boot:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015