Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My new daily: VX SS

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Nice car mate very nasty looking. I've got a black manual vxss sedan as well awesome looking cars. I picked mine up cheap as it was trashed and like yourself have got a list of things I want to get done and am slowly ticking them off as time and money allows. I read in another post you were having trouble with the handbrake conversion. I'm changing my interior over too as it was an absolute mess. I've put vz ss seats and door inserts in, fixed up and painted the dash facia vents and door handles, changed the cluster and put vz wiper and indicator stalks in. My next job is the vz satin and chrome handbrake. From what I've seen a complete handbrake will fit straight in it sounds easier than changing the cover and trying to match it up. I found one on eBay for $60 I haven't started on it yet tho so fingers crossed. All the best with your changes mate hope it goes well its a really nice looking car already.

Sorry, I missed this comment until now.
Thanks for the kind words mate, they're tough looking cars! You should make a build thread too.
Yeah, I really noticed the difference going from a Series 1 Stalk to a Series 2, feel a lot tighter and stronger. Ahh, that's good to hear that the handbrake goes in easy. I can't find a new complete one :/, only second hand ones which I may just settle with. I bought one recently but it turned out to be a cream colour, but in the pictures it looked black :L.

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Update!

I've added several things to her.

-Silver Air vent surroundings

-VY SS Pedal covers

-VZ SS Metal door handles

-New VY SS Floor mats

-New Genuine VX SS Headlights

-Re-lowered with Monroe GT Sports Shocks

-New Upper door air vent, in replacement of the broken one

Here's some photos:

Interior now
tNWkDnS.jpg

Headlight before installation
cE99NiK.jpg

Installed Headlights:
BCK8aXS.jpg

Love the stance now that it's back to being lowered. I'll get some better shots tomorrow.

So far I've changed the oil several times, just to figure out which one it likes the best, seems to be Penrite 10w-40 Racing 10 Tenths. I've also changed the Transmission fluid, did that a few months ago. But recently I changed the Diff fluid. I wanted to change it for two reasons; 1) I have no idea when it was last changed, 2) I was hearing a low humming kind of noise from the rear when I would go over 80, recently it was getting worse and was noticeable around 60. So I changed it, the fluid was black and smelled burnt, so that wasn't a good sign. After I did that, I drove it around the block and the noise was still there, hadn't changed at all. I started to think it was one of the rear wheel bearings. Ended up taking it to the mechanics, he said it was the Diff. He offered to chuck in an additive 'Morries' I think. He said he did the same thing to another SS and it quietened it down. So i'll be going back there some time next week to get that done. I don't really mind a whole lot, simply because I have an excuse to change the gears ;).
The new headlights look so much better than the old poor fitting, cloudy, peeling aftermarket ones. And previously, the car was lowered with the original shocks which made for a terrible ride. Now with the Monroe shocks in it's excellent. Just as good as stock it seems.

Anyway. Other than that it's been running strong!

Future plans are:

-New Front seat map pockets

-New VY SS Handbrake & Gearstick

-Fix gutter rash on 2 wheels

-Re tint to legal specs

-Paint those other damn calipers red!

-Dash-cam install

-Front bumper re-spray (stone chipped from the previous owner)

-Cut and Polish (I'll apply the wax/sealant myself)

-OTR and new Exhaust system

-Possibly a new Diff

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Nice work man

I also wish to get a dash cam myself, looking at a dual camera type for rear and front cameras, bout $67 or so from ebay, aussie seller.|

Good to see a nice black car going round as well.
Love the interior on yours. You have done things nicely.

Red calipers, have a look at my thread mate, i did gold VHT paint and is a preference of mine for gold, as looks classier in my opinion.
Red looks ok, and done to death by P-Platers i feel, and I wanted a colour that was different that also stood out but not as much and made you want to look again.

But yeh mate, coming along nicely.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Upgrades look good Knighty. With the diff, you may as well change the oil - use Penrite Progear (80/140 by memory?) It has an additive already in it.
Cheers

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Nice work man

I also wish to get a dash cam myself, looking at a dual camera type for rear and front cameras, bout $67 or so from ebay, aussie seller.|

Good to see a nice black car going round as well.
Love the interior on yours. You have done things nicely.

Red calipers, have a look at my thread mate, i did gold VHT paint and is a preference of mine for gold, as looks classier in my opinion.
Red looks ok, and done to death by P-Platers i feel, and I wanted a colour that was different that also stood out but not as much and made you want to look again.

But yeh mate, coming along nicely.

Mmm, I started to regret not getting a dual facing camera after I bought mine, aha.

Thanks mate, appreciate that!
Yeah, I definitely agree with the overuse of red calipers, but they would tie my car together much better than anything else i'd say.

Upgrades look good Knighty. With the diff, you may as well change the oil - use Penrite Progear (80/140 by memory?) It has an additive already in it.
Cheers

Thanks mate!

Mmm, I changed it using this:

Castrol SAF-XA Limited Slip Rear Axle Oil - 80W-140, 1 Litre - Supercheap Auto Australia

but the one at SCA was actually a newer one, in replacement of that one. It was labelled as a replacement, but never mentioned if it included the additive in it, like it's predecessor did. The noise is practically the same as it was before though.

I'm looking at just getting a new one installed to be honest: Eaton True Trac M80 VT VX VY VZ Holden Commodore HSV Detroit Trutrac Diff Locker | eBay

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Old thread but wondering if you tracked down the rattle you mentioned when you got the car?