Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My new Manta exhaust doesnt fit... question.

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
From side on it obviously looks different. One is a flare mount the other a flat surface. Is that a gasket on the cat or steel flare?

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
You need to remove that oval gasket on the back of the cat. The system will then bolt up without issue.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Yes it can. you have to remove that ceramic thing you circled and then a 2.5 or 3 inch cat back fits straight on. I used a big flat head screw driver and sort of chiselled it out from a back to front angle. Hit it a couple of times and it will come out. Then you are all good!!

The seller says the cat flange has a "gasket" that needs removing. I dont think this is correct, heres what Im seeing at the back of the cat, theres no way I can see to get that protruding part off this flange.... Its not what I would call a gasket either.

Chargin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline
Havent had a chance to post till now but yes, everything went well after I found out I could remove the metal ring "gasket". I found an air chisel easily and quickly removed it.

Hopefully this thread helps someone else one day...

Also I found the Manta kit very easy to install, it all bolted up so well I was quite impressed. There was no instructions with it, which might have helped and the call I made to Manta was very frustrating, all they said was "we need to know exactly what you have first" they wanted an invoice number etc. I was just asking a simple question about the flange system, I had no invoice with my delivery either..

The note is great, wife doesnt mind it and it feels like a V8 should now, at full throttle though it does sound a bit ragged.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
The note is great, wife doesnt mind it and it feels like a V8 should now, at full throttle though it does sound a bit ragged.

Headers and cats should sort that out. Next on the list?

Chargin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline
Headers and cats should sort that out. Next on the list?

Is that right? I do plan on adding those and a tune + OTR after the warranty is up.

Perhaps headers wont effect warranty and I can do that sooner.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Headers and cats will increase volume slightly but give you a beefier note. Catbacks only sound a little hollow depending on setup as you have exhaust gases traveling down a restricted first half (where the gas is hottest and it restricts flow the most), then into a larger catback - the air velocity will slow due to the restriction up front then resonate a little in the catback.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
As you found out, and after I spoke to you, yes, it is a gasket. People that are saying that there are 2 different joins, let me clarify that. Yes, there are 2 different joins, but they are the REAR muffler joins on later VF models and I think some late VE Redlines. The description above clearly says CAT. The cat joins are all the same, they all have that ball type flare on the factory pipe where the system joins to the cat. Once the gasket is removed, it bolts straight up. This is actually a very common query on all VE/VF cat backs.

Regarding the note, just about all cat backs sound a bit like that when new. After a week or two of driving and it carbons up a bit, the note will mellow but it will also change and get more refined as the glass packing loosens up a bit as well.

Extractors and cats will change the note as well, it will get louder, it will also have more of a defined V8 pulsing sound as with extractors, the pulses of each cylinder combine further down the system. The cats are a lot less restrictive too so they will maker it louder. But in a good way.

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
The gasket on the rear of the cat makes fitting and alignment of the exhaust easier. Buying a system that bolts to the cat may make it more difficult to align the pipes

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
Seems to me some of you guys need to have mechanics work on yours cars. Gee if you can't work out something this simple , don't even try anything difficult