Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My new Poison Ivy 2011 SSV!!

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Nah mate bone stock max hp is at 5300 because of valve choke, so noatter what bolt-on bits like OTR & full exhaust there's no point taking it past there. It is possible to tune around this to a degree but 5700 is on the plateau unless you give it more lift, tune the intake, and control the valvetrain properly.

Im just going off the figures online which have max power at 5700rpm. My main question is what RPM the rev limiter is meant to be set at on a stock A6 series 2 SSV?

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well i just got a Eaton Truetrak quoted up by Bosnjak Engineering for $2350 including new bearings and custom made shims. The ZF diff in the VE's clunk like hell after 80k.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Im just going off the figures online which have max power at 5700rpm. My main question is what RPM the rev limiter is meant to be set at on a stock A6 series 2 SSV?

Factory RPM fuel shut off is 6100

Extreme RPM fuel shut off is 6300

Peak TQ 4400, Peak HP 5300 according the GM dyno chart.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
The ZF diff in the VE's clunk like hell after 80k.

I doubt the person who sold you the replacement diff has a VE and done 80k. Personally done twice that and know of others 3-4x that and zero noise or problems.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Factory RPM fuel shut off is 6100

Extreme RPM fuel shut off is 6300

Peak TQ 4400, Peak HP 5300 according the GM dyno chart.

Interesting, in active select mine cuts out at 6000rpm.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
I doubt the person who sold you the replacement diff has a VE and done 80k. Personally done twice that and know of others 3-4x that and zero noise or problems.

By 80k i mean 80000kms. I rang several diff places and they all confirmed the ZF diff used in the VE's start to fail after 80-90k. They use a hardened coating that breaks away. Mine clunks when im coming to a stop and then get back on the gas again.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Caveat emptor, ask me next time and I'll take your money!!

By 80k i mean 80000kms. I rang several diff places and they all confirmed the ZF diff used in the VE's start to fail after 80-90k. They use a hardened coating that breaks away.

Mate it's your money and already paid for it by the sounds, but that is not the case. Never heard of it, not a sign of it and that's after 160,000k high speed through desert and high country carrying a 450kg load with 680Nm over a three year period. Of course you can break anything with abuse but this is not a typical failure here or in the US drag scene.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caveat emptor, ask me next time and I'll take your money!!

Mate it's your money and already paid for it by the sounds, but that is not the case. Never heard of it, not a sign of it and that's after 160,000k high speed through desert and high country carrying a 450kg load with 680Nm over a three year period. Of course you can break anything with abuse but this is not a typical failure here or in the US drag scene.

No not paid for mate, just got it quoted up. All i know is my diff is clunking and from reading up it seems to be a common issue. D&R, Bosnjak Engineering and Craft Diffs all confirmed it a common issue. David from Bosnjak knows his stuff so i was inclined to believe him.

Last edited:

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
No not paid for mate, just got it quoted up. All i know is my diff is clunking and from reading up it seems to be a common issue. D&R, Bosnjak Engineering and Craft Diffs all confirmed it a common issue. David from Bosnjak knows his stuff so i was inclined to believe him.

Don't you think with hundreds of thousands sold there would be ubiquitous and contemptuous mention of the common issue in most of the enthusiast forums? Please point to the links where you confirmed the VE 2.92 LSD clunk is due to a failure of the hardening of components like the good salespeople told you?

There have been some VE LSD 2.92 diffs make a noise but never fail to my knowledge, apart from suspect abuse / extreme cases, even then it's mainly with 3.7 HSV.

I realise many service people are really really nice guys who seem knowledgeable, I'm just saying that info about common diff failure at 80,000k of the VE 2.92 LSD is a furphy. Clunks at rear are difficult to diagnose, perhaps more info could save you further drama, or not. It's your money.

Do you mean clunk from drive to reverse or 3rd to 4th or turning sharp or any more detail?

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't you think with hundreds of thousands sold there would be ubiquitous and contemptuous mention of the common issue in most of the enthusiast forums? Please point to the links where you confirmed the VE 2.92 LSD clunk is due to a failure of the hardening of components like the good salespeople told you?

There have been some VE LSD 2.92 diffs make a noise but never fail to my knowledge, apart from suspect abuse / extreme cases, even then it's mainly with 3.7 HSV.

I realise many service people are really really nice guys who seem knowledgeable, I'm just saying that info about common diff failure at 80,000k of the VE 2.92 LSD is a furphy. Clunks at rear are difficult to diagnose, perhaps more info could save you further drama, or not. It's your money.

Do you mean clunk from drive to reverse or 3rd to 4th or turning sharp or any more detail?

Ok im getting the clunks in a few situations, firstly from drive to reverse and reverse to drive. Secondly im getting them when i come to a near stop then accelerate again. The diff has not failed completely, it is just making the clunking sound which is very annoying, i had the same issues with my previous VZ SV6, i had the diff rebuilt and all was good. If you have any suggestions im more then open to listen to them as i don't really like spending 2k+ on a new diff center lol.