Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My new Project (dan's version)

Discussion in 'VL Holden Commodore (1986 - 1988)' started by dan_man31, Jul 28, 2006.

1. dan_man31

dan_man31 now projecting oh yeah :D

Members Ride:
    vf ss-v 6spd ute
    Hey thought i would start a thread for my new project i have been tossing up whether to sell my vl as it is and buy something a bit better or ...do a major paint and do it up so heres a few of my plans atm its gold ...

a few options for colour if u may have seen in other threads are silver with some sort of striping ... across the bonnet and roof or similar or blue or something similar ... i plan on doin a boot install as soon as the paints been finished off ... including in the doors boot and under the bonnet ... hopefully without removing the motor .

the plan is to change the interior slightly ... but not to funky probably put some paint on the dash and that ...hopefully black or silver to match the car .. a new carpet and change the seats there is a couple of rust spots as u will see in photo's which need to be repaired i am hoping to pick up a cheap aero kit which i can put on its gonna be a decent paint job .... but nothin to flash in the build in other words ... NOTHIN COMPARED to how far bex has gone ... but im hoping it will still look terrific.
    the spoiler in the photo's has been taken off didnt look quite right the roof has a couple of dints as usual but its going to be a good project

anyway just thought id give ya's the low down and ill definetly keep you updated with the happenings ;) for now here is some pics of before and how it is now as well as plans for the boot install

thanks dan :wax: :bow:

Attached Files:

2. bangers

bangers New Member

Members Ride:
    EL FALCON XR6
    seeing as you're changing the colour of the car, are you doing the engine bay and inside the doors?

3. dan_man31

Members Ride:
    vf ss-v 6spd ute
    yeah i said that inside the door's in the boot and under the bonnet ... eg engine bay ... it said that "as soon as the paints been finished off ... including in the doors boot and under the bonnet ... hopefully without removing the motor ."

sorry if i wasnt clear

thanks

4. dan_man31

Members Ride:
    vf ss-v 6spd ute
    oh yeah not sure of the extent of damage done to the drivers door but if you look in pics ... you can see it has a fair amount of bog that thing under the lock was just a sticker which pealed the paint off ... might be up for a new door ... also know of a dint in the back left corner will have a go at nocking the dint out there but probably have to re- do it again ... im psycked :D almost a week's work ... done in a couple of day's .. still not quite tell me wat u think

Opinions on colour is also greatly appreciated

thanks dan:thumbsup:

5. VL Berlina 5speed

VL Berlina 5speed Apprentice Panel Pusher

Members Ride:
    Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
    most likly u will take the motor out, much easyer to feather the engine bay out with it gone BUT when the motor is taken out it is normal for people to say "i might just give the motor a little clean while its out" then one thing leads to the other and its a full blown wepon,
    so be careful.....

6. dan_man31

Members Ride:
    vf ss-v 6spd ute
    yeah well ill take that as a caution .... sounds just like something i might do oh no is that a drop of oil ... this motor wont do where is that 355 efi stroker we bought :p nah cant afford petrol i would clean it up but im not gonna supe her up any more ...bar some extractors ... and a really really good polish :D im into it :D

thanks for the warning

dan

7. dan_man31

Members Ride:
    vf ss-v 6spd ute
    update ...

might not be doing under the bonnet as i first suspected ...

found a repair job done on the door ...which also revealed that rust had eaten right into it which we are gonna replace dad's keen on nocking the dints out of the roof instead of mass filling ..the sideskirts are proving very difficult to remove someone has used some kick ass glue to get them to stick on ..petrol , thinners turps nothing works at getting them off anyone got any idea's

so far the project is going well just researching other painting methods dads still painting old school .. not that it doesnt work just checking the other **** out

thanks dan

8. Bax

Bax Projecting

Members Ride:
    Nothing
    awesome man, best of luck with it all.
    take your time, shop around for parts, be patient with sales/purchases
    if you get frustrated -walk away.
    and the most important of all, whatever your budget is, times it by 3.

9. dan_man31

Members Ride:
    vf ss-v 6spd ute
    yeah parts im sourcing out cheapest and best quality .. good shop round here called vl projex does most my bits gives me decent deals cause i buy loads of stuff i havent really thought about the budget so far its watever i got is being used and when money free's up more is being put into it im pretty sure its gonna take quite a while but she's a work in progress ...

there is a bit of an updated page on www.cardomain.com/ride/801052 if u wanna check it out

thanks bex for ur advice

dan

10. VQXTC

VQXTC Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
    Hey dan,

Good luck with the project man...... my vl is currently sitting in my shed waiting for its new carpet and interior.....I use to have that disgusting blue interior in it....

Took me 3 hours to dismantle the whole interior including the roof lining..... My shed floor is littered with grey series 2 berlina interior which i cant wait to put in. Hmmmm might get the roof lining redone in velour to match the rest of the interior(oops I can feel a BUG biting, better stop now before its too late... :D ).....might do some engine bay tidying up as well while its off the road......

Keep up the good work....cheers

11. dan_man31

Members Ride:
    vf ss-v 6spd ute
    i desperately want a new interior i love the grey dont mind the cream but i wanna change it darker .. or lighter i dunno but i want it to be different haha to expensive im gonna try painting lol i got a pair of monza racing seats (rrp $300 each) might put them in
    and i do really want to do up the engine bay as well still deciding on paint colour

another update though ..have decided to purchase my mates hdt bodykit and im only putting the lower half on selling the spoiler i had on and the one that comes with it should look good getting it as soon as tax money comes through

thanks dan

12. dan_man31

Members Ride:
    vf ss-v 6spd ute
    what do you think about candy apple green as a colour ?

saw it on a vk looked fab

thanks dan

13. Bax

Bax Projecting

Members Ride:
    Nothing
    Looks pretty good to be honest, I'll get a picture of a Green commy in town, I've got to see him sunday for my polishing so I'll grab a quick snap of his car while I'm there.

14. dan_man31

Members Ride:
    vf ss-v 6spd ute
    updated pics not much is changing been a bit busy ..finding a door next week and yeah soon gonna get into some hard work tell me wat ya's think so far

thanks dan:wax:

Attached Files:

15. Stewart1000

Stewart1000 work done by ME

Members Ride:
    VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
    looks like its coming along really nicely, a few things to remember, if you rub through to the metal, use wax and grease remover and then primer, if it is a big spot like more than 5cm you will have to use etch primer (i think its called that) take out your front lights, easy to do, a few screws.
    i currently have 2 really deep cuts on the first 2 fingers on my left hand from using a knife to get the plastic off from the doors, it was working till i pushed too hard trying to get it done quicker, snapped the knife and the knife went into my fingers. take your time. get a hot air gun and heat up the plastic but not to the point it distorts or melts, unless you are gettign new plastic, then run a razor behind it, it will come off a lot easier use a scraper with replaceable blades to scrape off the glue, its really easy that way. you will be getting water in your boot with the lights out so remember that.
    what grade of paper are you sanding it back with, i would go with 320 first and then 800 to smooth it out before the paint goes on.
    Might want to look into a new bonnet, last weekend pick-a-part has bonnets and boots for 25 dollars each, they shouldn't be more than 40 now tho. make sure you get one in the same colour if you are going to do that.

16. dan_man31

Members Ride:
    vf ss-v 6spd ute
    hey man thanks for the comment yeah we found that using a hair dryer and a scraper ..or blunt knife thing pealed off the plastic so much quicker and found a scraper which just peals the rubber off so quick i was amazed we are sanding it back using 320 grit its doin the trick why do u think i should get a new bonnet ? im tryin to save as much money as possible meaning fixing as much as possible the door needed replacing because we sanded back the bog in it and found out that rust was all the way through we could just bog it back together but yeah its comin along well i wouldnt mind an aero kit but i would have to save up some doe for that at the moment its just hdt so yeah ill keep you updated with wats doin ..might get some more done tommoro night see wat happens

thanks dan

17. dan_man31

Members Ride:
    vf ss-v 6spd ute
    just a bit of an update ......

car has been sitting old man got a bit stuck into it while i had to study taped up all the windows removed the door trims car is 75% sanded down by me not him :p ... on the outside ... still like 80% for inside the doors and boot left . sourcing out either a cheap aero kit .. or my mates hdt kit as soon as i get money and i think im gonna paint it the new ve colour ignition or something like that.

just need to keep sanding and save up some money for undercoat and paint .. and yeah she'll be coming around good :D tell me wat you think

and does anyone have any idea how much im likely to pay for the ignition paint ?
    thanks dan

18. bangers

bangers New Member

Members Ride:
    EL FALCON XR6
    i can get you a brand new front aero bar for about $400 if you're interested.

19. dan_man31

Members Ride:
    vf ss-v 6spd ute
    does it come with the rest :dance: im looking for a complete kit ... ?