Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My new sound system.

Cohan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina
Alright, ended up getting spilts for the front, and those same 2ways for the rear just cause they were cheap.

Now, do you's have any idea on how to pull the VX dash trim off?

astroham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
Rear speakers are pointless and do nothing but disrupt your sound stage, unless of course you care about your passengers that much. Do yourself a favour, get a fantastic pair of splits for the front, that will go loud enough to satisfy the whole car. VX commodores come with stock splits, have a look up near the corners of your front window, those two grilles have tweeters underneath them.

im going to have to disagree with you there ... although the rear speakers are not as important as front speakers ... they are still important ... perhaps not splits in the back but a decent set of coaxiels ... at least that way when he decides to amp them ... which will happen he doesnt have the added cost of a rear set to ... i would recomend saving your money and trying to buy something better ... especially with 30w rms ... for 160 you could buy alpine type s coaxiels for example ... you should shop around and you will find that what one shop says is not always the case

my first system i got i went to the shop down the road and had no idea what i wanted except for this ... new speakers a sub and an amp ... i ended up paying 1300 for the worst stuff in the world ... moral is ... do some research and in that time continue saving ... i garuntee you will be happy with what you end up with ...
it is important to look at RMS power with car audio not just max ...
sorry for the lecture ... but i just hate seeing people make the same mistakes that i made ...

astroham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
I would go for this headunit JVC KW-XR616. I've seen it sell for as low as $199, so haggle. I own one, good little unit. Slightly laggy on ipod use, but I have done some research and it turns out that it's an issue that a lot of headunits have, which varies with ipod and iOS.

I would go with these splits Focal 165A1. Focal are a highly respected brand, make sure you have a listen to them in store to make sure you like the sound they produce.

And yes, that should be a mono block amp or a 2ch amp.
but for the price of those focals you could put R type splits in ... which are an excelent speaker
dont get me wrong i love focal ... i run 2 sets of focal splits in my car ... but if you want a great speaker for 300 you cant really go past the r type
they are capapble of having the ass flogged out of them and still be an excelent speaker ...

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Hardly a lecture when I knew most of that (the parts that were correct anyway).

Why are rear speakers so important? You clearly have never owned a decent pair of front splits. My Morel Tempo 6" splits go so loud (while still being clear, eat that **** alpine) just off of my headunit that you can't hear anyone talk in the car, AND THAT'S JUST FROM HEADUNIT AMPLIFICATION.

Do you work for Alpine? Or are you one of the fanbois that think that Alpine is the pinnacle of car audio? Or are you just trying to justify a bad alpine purchase?

Alpine type R LOL nuff said. If I had a spare $300 I would hook them up to my monoblock, and give them all it's got, just for sh1ts and gigs.