Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My New toy

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Well this is the new toy Ive been waiting for over Christmas

Nothing special but then again who cares, something different

The basics -

1975 HJ One tonner
4 Speed manual "on the floor"
mighty 308 V8 with twin exhaust the whole way through (which Ive read was a 308 only thing)

Sounds freaking awesome, although its a pain in the glass to steer without power steering.

Basically I got it home on Sunday and found it has a bit more work to do on it then I originally thought, as I need it to either be on the road or I dont have it at all, I dont want it to sit in limbo as an "unstarted/unfinished project car" because we dont have the room at home, so I'm testing the water. Its for sale this week, if I make more then i payed or I break even then great, its gone and I'll look at maybe a VN or VP SS in the near future.

IF however it doesnt sell, I'll spend the next 2 or so months just tidying it up to get it back on the road, and might see if any JCCC NSW members have contacts that can help, like rust removal or spray painting.

Mechanically its alright, fires up without needing to adjust the choke and she idles without an issue, could do with a tidy up in the engine bay, its just the damn rusty panels thats a hassle, needs a re-spray and a bit of work on the interior.

It needs a complete re-wire through the engine bay and dash, (engine bay is $350 but I cant find anything for the dash) because years of adding and subtractign and modifying the harnesses have taken their toll, needs new tyres all round, brakes need fixing (I had the brake pedal hard to the ground and it still rolled off the back of the trailer when we got it home although unlike a Commodore the handbrake works) and maybe the addition of power steering, unless new tyres at proper inflation make it easier to steer, because seriously, its like trying to muscle a bulldozer through a brick wall.

Need to source things like either a chrome bumper bar (where the number plate screws too), or a RHS bracket as I have the bumper ready to go. Of course Ebay only have the LHS bracket and thats the one I have and no one seems to sell the brackets or bumper. Having issues working out how the damn door trim goes on too.

But its still an awesome sounding engine, I moved it from the front yard to the back yard today the long way, by going round the block. Even better now I worked out how to engage reverse, although the dead battery means Im getting quicker at whipping out a jump starter when ive let it die or partially flooded the carby :whistling

Anyway thought I'd post up some quick photos, Ive been talking about a new toy for a little while, and I know some of you guys are interested.

And trust me, take it out for a spin then get behind the wheel of a Commodore and all of a sudden the Commy stops like theres no tomorrow and the steering feels super light. Imagine that feeling when we've got back in the cars after go-karting, now times that feeling by 10!!!!

I am now officially a bogan, I own a Commodore thats on the road, and a V8 One Tonner that starts, rattles and runs, but isnt on the road :thumbsup: