Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

my new ZB Calais experience

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Cars guide reports Calais V V6 = 1726 kg's
Calais 2.0 1535 kg's
191 kg's difference. Put 2 guys weighing 191 kg's in total in a Calais 2.0 and the shine goes right off the performance.
Extra weight will be mostly the engine I would think.

benny66

Benno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY14 Calais V ZB MY18 Calais V
Yes. The V6 Toyota Camry is the same. A very light weight car and the power to weight is good. Put 5 guys weighing 90 KG in the car and it drives like a tank. I can speak from experience from my previous V6 Camry. Every time I loaded up the car I would really notice it. With the ZB Tourer I load up the car with the boys going to golf and the cargo bay with the clubs and can still thrill the boys with a nice take off!

Stevezb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 zb calais
Nice write-up Steve. My first Calais V had a major issue I've already posted about which resulted in me having a 2.0 LT loan car for 7 weeks while I awaited a replacement new Calais V with the V6. Having driven a loaner LT for 7 weeks and feeling quite free to explore its full potential and back in my new V6 Calais V for over 9 months now I kind of miss the 2.0 engine a bit to be honest.
Its certainly a very sweet and willing motor and revs very freely and smoothly right out to the redline without complaint.
They run 95 octane but they go a bit harder, (like most turbo motors) on 98 Octane.

I've also had the supercharged Miami motor in my formerly owned FPV GT-P and had a slight tweak to make about 400 kw's and that was a very exciting car to drive, so when both you and I acknowledge the 2.0 turbo is a good strong motor that's got to be saying something !

I was very impressed with the smoothness and willingness of the 2.0 and its a high tech engine with a lot of forged components and a little known fact is its making just over 20 pounds of boost so its quite a "belter". The lighter 4 cyl powered Commodores are certainly no slouch when it comes to performance, in fact I think many people would be very surprised. That said, try one out with a couple of your mates in the car, (which even's out the weight difference between 2.0 and V6 cars), and they're not as impressive then so I think the real key to their performance is the lighter weight, which depending upon the model is about 200 kg's from VXR down to LT. I also found the LT about 15-20% more fuel efficient for anyone who cares about that sort of thing.

I would very happily own a 2.0 Commodore if they made one with all the technology and equipment that's in the higher spec Calais V model.
Yes the V6 is a bit touchy on the throttle but you learn to adapt. I understand its both port and direct injected which may be the reason. No its doesn't have the spread of torque of the 2.0 turbo but I think its makes more than adequate torque for normal driving around town and being a 9 speed auto there's always exactly the right gear for any given power request and when you want to "get up it" on the open road the 235 kw's gives it a little bit more sparkle than the 2.0 right up the top, (but there's not much in it).

People should definitely try both the 4 cyl and V6 engines.
Thats really good info thanks. Interesting you had the GTP, one thing I wont miss is the fuel consumption, but yes was a blast to drive. Totally different cars though. The Calais 2.0 (and the V6) are sooo easy to drive, which makes them awesome for daily duties . It actually makes driving as effortless as I think driving could be. It didn`t realise that it ran 20 psi!

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
More detail on the engine here. https://www.gmpowertrain.com/assets...-2.0-l-ltg-engine-features-specifications.pdf

You'd think that Holden would get behind the technology in these cars including the superb 9 speed auto and market it based on the technical attributes but all they seem to think people care about is if it has android auto and apple car play.

A remarkably low coefficient of drag of only 0.26 is something people don't seem to care about either, coefficient of drag is something people only talk about at the LGBTQ parades LOL

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
More detail on the engine here. https://www.gmpowertrain.com/assets...-2.0-l-ltg-engine-features-specifications.pdf

You'd think that Holden would get behind the technology in these cars including the superb 9 speed auto and market it based on the technical attributes but all they seem to think people care about is if it has android auto and apple car play.

A remarkably low coefficient of drag of only 0.26 is something people don't seem to care about either, coefficient of drag is something people only talk about at the LGBTQ parades LOL

These days, most people don't care nor have a clue about these things. It's all about the gadgets.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
These days, most people don't care nor have a clue about these things. It's all about the gadgets.

….. and they still can't sell them.
The marketing people and professional 'road-tester' have brainwashed customers into thinking gadgets are more important than basic engineering.
Read a road-test of any new car, it has a '4cylinder engine and auto transmission', then paragraphs of gadgets and electronic thingys.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
A couple of months ago, while I was waiting for missus to do whatever they do in large shopping centres, I wandered into a Holden dealer to have a look at a AWD Tourer, with a story about how I wanted to update my (fictional) V6 Adventra.
I was accosted by a young, eager sales-puppy, got talking, and he knew all about Adventras, they were heavy on the fuel, the gearboxes were fragile, and were not a real 4WD.
Hardly a good start, bagging your past products.
I asked how the AWD system worked, with the torque vectoring thingy stuff, he got confused and fetched an older, more experienced sales-puppy, who insisted on showing me all the electronic driver aid whizbangs that I was not interested in, but no info about my question.
We were then joined by the sales-old-dog who dismissed the other two by telepathic communication, and he also was none the wiser about the operations of the AWD in comparison the VZ system.
By telepathic means, he decided that I was not fair dinkum, just another tyre kicker wasting his time, his coffee was getting cold, and so was his attitude towards me.

This helps Holden to not sell cars, and if I had been a genuine buyer, I would not have bought one from this particular dealership.

My comments about a ZB Tourer from earlier this year. What's changed ? No more Commodore.

VFRDLN

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB CalaisV Tourer
My comments about a ZB Tourer from earlier this year. What's changed ? No more Commodore.

Same experience I had when looking to trade my VF Redline. The sales staff just wanted to sell me another VF but I explained I wanted a new car not a car that is essentially more than 10 years old. After a short stint in an Everest I was glad I waited and bought my CalaisV Tourer 20k cheaper than I would have.

benny66

Benno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY14 Calais V ZB MY18 Calais V
Yes the ZB V6 Tourer seems to have just about every option you can think of. It sure is a 'gadget persons' delight.