Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
iz zat a roodah dectducktor bro?

???? yeah it is. not much bloody good though. i normally spot undercover cars or mobile speed cameras before the bloody thing starts going off. it was the top uniden model a few years ago but it's only really good for the open road and if the copper has his radar turned on, if it's in standby mode it doesn't pick it up until the cop goes active and if he's clever he does it just before he passes you so there is no way you can have a chance to react. there are some better ones that cost upwards of $800 but i just don't see the point.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
???? yeah it is. not much bloody good though. i normally spot undercover cars or mobile speed cameras before the bloody thing starts going off. it was the top uniden model a few years ago but it's only really good for the open road and if the copper has his radar turned on, if it's in standby mode it doesn't pick it up until the cop goes active and if he's clever he does it just before he passes you so there is no way you can have a chance to react. there are some better ones that cost upwards of $800 but i just don't see the point.

Once you own a Valentine One, you will see the difference, actually picks up cops and no false crap either. But yea if that cops smart he'll turn it on just as he see's you so no point with a detector at all.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Once you own a Valentine One, you will see the difference, actually picks up cops and no false crap either. But yea if that cops smart he'll turn it on just as he see's you so no point with a detector at all.

i've seen those, apparently the new ones can pick up the "pop" radars, i don't know if that is the type they can put on "stand-by" mode not sure if that was what i got pinged by? mine does pick up the cops but generally i see em before the detector. guess i just have a sixth sense for that sort of thing. still not worth $900 for the valentine me thinks

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
curiosity partly. i intend to use it for some clubday events once i've done a few more things and maybe a few burnout comps depending on how things go. i'll probably fit the diff temp gauge before the burnouts and see how much extra heat it generates.

the biggest killer of oil is heat. above certain temps the oil film will start to break down. monitoring oil temps during things such as burnouts and club events will mean i know when to pull the plug before i start to do long term damage to gears in both the diff and trans.

Yea i was thinking if its a daily street car thats not seeing the track ect then.... wtf lol.
Would be interesting to see the temp differences between normal driving and a complete thrashing actually. How do you hook up the sensor in the diff?

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
i've seen those, apparently the new ones can pick up the "pop" radars, i don't know if that is the type they can put on "stand-by" mode not sure if that was what i got pinged by? mine does pick up the cops but generally i see em before the detector. guess i just have a sixth sense for that sort of thing. still not worth $900 for the valentine me thinks

my bel vector retail was 800, got it cheap and still new , paid it off in the first week but its becoming ****ty as they keep adding new cameras over here

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea i was thinking if its a daily street car thats not seeing the track ect then.... wtf lol.
Would be interesting to see the temp differences between normal driving and a complete thrashing actually. How do you hook up the sensor in the diff?

a few pages back there are some picks of a alloy diff cover (that i got of a ford) it was suggested to me by my diff builder. the alloy transfers heat better for better cooling then the standard steel cover. it's about 4-5mm think so i've just tapped it 1/8th npt and screwed the temp sender straight into that

my bel vector retail was 800, got it cheap and still new , paid it off in the first week but its becoming ****ty as they keep adding new cameras over here

would be nice but can't aford that much. there are some that have GPS units fitted and can be programed with stationay cameras. you can get some in car nav aid (tom tom or navman) that have maps with speed camera locations also

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Nice! Should have read your thread from the start.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
strange engine noise

getting some weird noises that start just above 2000rpm. can't really describe it, it's not a rattle or knocking noise, more of a scratching noise seems to go away at higher RPM:cry:

found a noisy bearing in the tensioner idler so i've changed that, the bearings in the alternator were also a little noise so i've changed that also for a brand new one i had sitting on the shelf. water pump bearings also sound a little rumbly so i'll get a new one on monday. after changing those 2 bearings it's already quieter then before but the strange noise is still there:bang:

possibly suspect timing chain/tensioner however the noise seems louder at the top/back of the engine.

drivers side engine mount is fully collapsed (and no doubt transfering noise to chassis) so will change that also this week. tried to change it earlier but need to remove the header to get access to the rear bolt:cry:

certainly hope it's not terminal:cry:
Nice! Should have read your thread from the start.

cheers mate. i really need to get access to a polishing wheel so i can polish all this alloy stuff properly

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
oil temp at normal cruise on the motorway is sitting about 200 degrees F. got it a little hotter upto about 215 degrees F doing a steephill climp in 3rd but i think it's cost me a speed camera ticket to find that out:bang: don't know how fast i was going but i was in 3rd and was pulling few revs so thats no good.

on a better note, the engine seems quieter since changing out the alternator and tensioner idler. my parts guy also thinks the ballancer is stuffed as it's moving around some with the engine running, however when i remove the belt i can't get any real flex in it by hand? not sure on that one got a new waterpump and coolant flush sitting in the garage, just gotta wait for the rain to clear up and i'll be into that