Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Other Ride's A V8 Too

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Awesome.

How smooth is that motor !

Reactions: Lex

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
It's a relief to have got it to this stage. Now I just have to wait for the Alert Level to go back down to 2 on Tuesday so the digger can come back and finish off the profiling for the slab and then the pour can happen on Friday as planned.
Yea, right. As if. Just hopeful that I can get this Ford down off the axle stands and drive it into the shed before Christmas. Then take it apart.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
The last few times I fired up my dirty old girl, the dashboard temperature gauge was reaching uncomfortable heights, which could indicate that the left bank is overheating. (These old things have seperate cooling circuits for each side of the block, as they were basically two 4-cylinder blocks cast onto a single crankshaft.) Drained some of the coolant out of the flathead so that I could pull and test the thermostat on that side which has the sender to the temperature gauge in the dashboard. That head only has one boss drilled and tapped, the other has two. I have previously installed a Mooneyes temperature gauge directly into the head on the other side.

draining_coolant1.jpg
draining_coolant2.jpg

I placed the 180°F thermostat in a pot of hot water on the gas hob and it opened before the water boiled (212°F), so it isn't faulty. Then I removed the sender from that head and replaced it with the second of the Mooneyes temperature gauges I bought. That will let me know if that bank is actaully overheating or not, next time I fire it up.

a_thermostat_closed.jpg
a_thermostat_open.jpg

moonie_left-gauge.jpg

Then I made a short extension for the sender lead and screwed the sender in the head on the other side, removing the switch for the electric radiator fan. I have previously wired that 2-speed fan to run on a pair of manual switches as it wasn't kicking on at all.

moonie_right-gauge.jpg

While I was doing that and had the right side upper coolant pipe and hose off I took apart the linkage for the four-barrel Holley and rebent the lower section (which had been done a bit rough-and-readily) so it had better clearance from the rubber hose and could use the other hole for the ball mount for the pedal rod.

rejigged_linkage.jpg

I'm not too impressed by the state of the rubber hoses where the thermostats have been cutting into them for the last twenty years. I'll see if I can find something to replace them with when I'm out tomorrow before putting the coolant back in and discovering whether the temperatur sender is off or the digital gauge needs recalibrating.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Damn she's beautiful. Keep the updates and pics coming

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Will do. Haven't been able to give it much attention other than run the engine every couple of months. Most spare time is spent trying to get the shed all finished so I can take this one apart and make it road legal.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
The dashboard gauge is reading high by 20°F. A temperature gauge is among the items on my list for building the engine run stand, so it can wait until then to sort out. At least I now know not to panic and that I don't have to think about shutting it down when the gauge wanders above 200°F, and that is really only when the thermostats have just opened.