Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Poor Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
I think everyone is being a bit harsh, the OP was faced with a dangerous situation, and although it could have been avoided, they still did a very good job of avoiding a more serious accident, most drivers would have just rammed up the rear of the jag, probably writing off both vehicles and giving the occupants of both cars whiplash at the least.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Comments possibly related to a couple of the OP's posts like this:

Yes I know I ####ed up by trying to avoid a side-swipe... but I WAS NOT TOO CLOSE!!!!!
..... Do not try to tell me I was following too close when I wasn't... Being distracted caused it, not "inadequate stopping distance". I failed to USE the adequate distance I had deliberately left.

I know the OP wasn't asking about stopping distance, but leaving a 1 second gap between you and the car in front is asking for trouble and what most people picked up on due to comments like those in the quote.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I'm not so sure that you were too close to the vehicle you hit, but that your reaction was poor for the speed you were doing. I would have been further back from the van but it doesn't appear that you were travelling so close that it was imprudent. Perhaps you were a bit slow reacting to the van braking and pulling over and failed to hit the brakes until you saw the stationary vehicle the van was avoiding.

I agree with this
I think he maintained a reasonable distance for what seems like a 60-70kph zone.
However the reaction time after the van pulled out seems to be very delayed. It's like the OP was distracted/wasn't paying attention

anyway, all too easy in hindsight for us armchair critics.

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II/BMW '02 E39 530i
Tbh I think your delayed reaction was caused by the vans hugely delayed reaction. The van clearly would of totaled the rear of that car if it hadn't of pulled to the side like that, leaving OP no room to do the same.

That extra second to give you the required minimum three second gap probably wouldn't have done squat because you came to a complete stop in line with the rear of the car in front of the car you hit. Not to mention the collision would of significantly slowed you down too, I reckon if the van gave you more room you would of come to a stop along side the car in front of the one you hit, without collision though.

Imo blame the van. If he hit the brakes when he was meant to, you would have too.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Tbh I think your delayed reaction was caused by the vans hugely delayed reaction. The van clearly would of totaled the rear of that car if it hadn't of pulled to the side like that, leaving OP no room to do the same.

That extra second to give you the required minimum three second gap probably wouldn't have done squat because you came to a complete stop in line with the rear of the car in front of the car you hit. Not to mention the collision would of significantly slowed you down too, I reckon if the van gave you more room you would of come to a stop along side the car in front of the one you hit, without collision though.

Imo blame the van. If he hit the brakes when he was meant to, you would have too.

How is it the vans fault that the OP can't drive safely?

The van managed to get his vehicle, without ABS clear of the road and the impact. The OP, even with ABS wasnt able to avoid a collision. Meaning he was both going too fast for the conditions, and not paying attention.

The OP doesn't seem to have any reaction to the van locking up and steering off the road, he only reacts when he sees the jag stopped meaning he is only focusing one car ahead of him which is a bad way to drive for a start.

Sent from here, so you can read it there via iPhone.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If you can get distracted that easily and have your eyes off the road for that long, then you shouldnt be behind the wheel.

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
How is it the vans fault that the OP can't drive safely?

If you can get distracted that easily and have your eyes off the road for that long, then you shouldnt be behind the wheel.

you guys are 100% right.... I'm the Devil Incarnate on the roads. I'm ignorant, apathetic, reckless, dangerous and downright deadly... It's a miracle I've never killed anyone or had a collision with anything before in the 12 years I've been driving. I should have my vehicle crushed, my licence incinerated and I should be incarcerated for the rest of my natural life, plus 20 years just to be sure.

:devil::rolleyes:

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
How is this thread still going?

Status
Not open for further replies.